The Demonstrations in Minnesota (Update: Now Nationwide){Now International} (15 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The all lives matter however you want to put it kinda bastageizes the whole thing. If you look at racism in particular, while the black lives matter and tv and social media has picked that rallying point, native Americans and Hispanics in many areas are treated exactly the same. The problem, which has become screaming obvious is the absolute paramilitary police forces, and their rush to show their force and not be held accountable for anything. It’s Gone on way to long and is ingrained in a lot of the police forces cultures.
But then it also goes to a point that this country has become sick, the population is in poor health mentally and physically and viewed by government as nothing more than a labor pool to exploit.
"Human Capital Stock"

We're nothing more than cattle to them.

Moo! 🐮

Oh crap...here we go.

What he has said...

His stance hasn’t changed, now that the possibility returns that more players might want to take a knee.

I will never agree with anybody disrespecting the flag of the United States of America or our country,” Brees said in an interview with Yahoo Finance. “Let me just tell what I see or what I feel when the national anthem is played and when I look at the flag of the United States. I envision my two grandfathers, who fought for this country during World War II, one in the Army and one in the Marine Corp. Both risking their lives to protect our country and to try to make our country and this world a better place. So every time I stand with my hand over my heart looking at that flag and singing the national anthem, that’s what I think about. And in many cases, that brings me to tears, thinking about all that has been sacrificed.

“Not just those in the military, but for that matter, those throughout the civil rights movements of the ‘60s, and all that has been endured by so many people up until this point. And is everything right with our country right now? No, it is not. We still have a long way to go. But I think what you do by standing there and showing respect to the flag with your hand over your heart, is it shows unity. It shows that we are all in this together, we can all do better and that we are all part of the solution.”

And this is what he said about 3 years ago when this first came up...

Patrick then asked whether the NFL should’ve worked with the players on the new anthem rules.

“I think I’ve made myself very clear in where I stand in all of this. I think that the national anthem is a way to unify everyone,” Brees said. “I think by some people kneeling and some people standing and all that I think that is very divisive for our country. I think the flag and the national anthem deserves our respect for all those who’ve come before us who have fought so hard, who have died and sacrificed in order for us to have the freedoms that we have in this country.”

“So I believe that no matter what you’re protesting — because there’s plenty of things about this country that I think we would all like to see improvements, I just don’t think that during the national anthem is the time to voice those opinions.”

I don't mind his opinion. Not every forum needs to be a protest.

And, my associate pastor just posted a picture of a bible and a gun with the caption "Family, fun and Jesus".

I'm done. I guess my views are too old for this world. I apparently can't claim to be conservative or Christian anymore because sheet like this makes it so hard.....

I'm gonna go find a deserted island somewhere to hole up until 2050. Anyone else? I've got beer.
Things like that are what drove me to reconsider my religion. I asked myself if I'm comfortable being viewed as being one and the same with the majority of Christians who I know, and do I believe what they believe?

I've applied that to family and friends as well. Am I comfortable with how they talk about others, how they treat others, etc. Not how they treat me, but how they treat complete strangers.

Unless you like solitude, I don't recommend it.

What he has said...

And this is what he said about 3 years ago when this first came up...

I don't mind his opinion. Not every forum needs to be a protest.

I think what is rubbing some people the wrong way, when watching the actual video of the interview, rather than addressing the situation at hand, he went all the way back to the flag protests.

And yes, I do agree with the poster that said that Jenkins could be offended by this, as could a guy like Demario Davis, and countless others.

Good grief. Wait is Oye secretly Jessica Simpson?

Look, I'm an idiot.

I fell down the stairs last night.

Here's how.

Big storm. Lightning. Thunder. The 3-year old gets scared. So I head downstairs to console her.

It's pitch black in the house, so I grab my phone and turn on the phone flashlight. And I start walking to the stairs. For some reason - I still don't know why - I turn the phone around and stare into the light. I blind myself even further, but don't stop walking. Take a step, fine. Take a step, fine. Take a third step.

Nothing's there to step on, and down I go.

I am not smart

Yep. I think kneeling returns, and Drew will find a good bit of his brothers are going to be disagreeing with him. One might be Malcolm Jenkins.
My one hope is that he will have a come to Jesus like he did when he found out he was promoting a gay hate religious group
But I would not call that hope robust

So, I cannot tell y'all how much this means to read. Seriously.

I have been saying the same thing - even on these boards, specifically with the troublesome nature of the word 'privilege' - to a lot of people, with varying amounts of success.

I can say - and this is anecdotal, obviously - that there has been more movement like this in the recent protests than I've ever noticed before.

When I talk about this with people I know, they will point to my low income upbringing. And they'll ask, "How can you call yourself privileged? I know where you grew up, I know how you grew up. How can you say you are privileged?"

And I try to explain that 'privilege' doesn't mean life is easy. I would explain that I grew up with a lot of black kids in the same neighborhood. They had stories of being stopped by cops. They had stories of asked if the bikes they were riding were theirs. They had stories of going into the mall or the shopping center down the road and being stopped by management if they stole anything. They had stories of cops coming into their house. They had stories about their dads and uncles being in prison. They had stories of being badgered by older, white people who'd been living in the neighborhood before it became more integrated.

I had virtually *none* of those same stories. Comparable ages. Comparable income brackets. Same geography.

Totally different experiences.

It didn't mean I was richer than they were. It didn't mean I was more 'financially privileged." But I did enjoy privilege.

I am so heartened that y'all are having these experiences.

I would ask that you share these with friends and family members. It probably won't happen often, but even happening once means a lot.

I explained this to my wife and she agreed with me as she didn’t care much for the phrase but does understand better when people say it. Go behind the words to see what people are really meaning, we need to do this more. Thank you for the positivity! I have been fortunate not to experience much bigotry or racism as I am a particularly light skinned Latino but have have experienced some.

So I'm watching the Floyd family attorney and I'm a bit surprised he's getting so much into the case. I think this is problematic because potential jurors are going to see all of this and I suspect it's going to make finding impartial jurors very difficult. I agree a lot with what he's saying and asking for, but I think it's gonna complicate things down the road. It seems to me most good attorneys will be guarded in what they say about the facts of a case before going to trial. I just hope he's not hurting himself and the family by doing this. I could be wrong, but that's my first blush reaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom