The Demonstrations in Minnesota (Update: Now Nationwide){Now International} (4 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems to me that there are more "bad apples" than we all were led to believe.
It's systemic. Even a few guys I know who are cops can come off as callous bastages sometimes. Only one, who is a detective, is a genuine good guy.

It's systemic. Even a few guys I know who are cops can come off as callous bastages sometimes. Only one, who is a detective, is a genuine good guy.
It is absolutely systemic and they have been embolden by the current administration because the DOJ has said that they are not in the business of investigating police departments.

Seriously, what is going on?

Why are they beating this guy like a kid getting spanked as they walk into their house after the street lights have come on? Since when is this a default police procedure?

#badapples

Tonight in New Orleans protesters, a day after shutting down the elevated I-10 near the Orleans Avenue exit, went up on to and shut down the Crescent City Connection span headed to the Westbank. NOPD formed a line prohibiting them from passing and eventually gassed them once the protesters tried to breach the line. Still no rioting and violence but it seems to be trending in that direction.

I don't think these folks understand that the police attempts to de-escalate are going to end at the parish line in Gretna once JPSO steps in. Or maybe they do.

Tonight in New Orleans protesters, a day after shutting down the elevated I-10 near the Orleans Avenue exit, went up on to and shut down the Crescent City Connection span headed to the Westbank. NOPD formed a line prohibiting them from passing and eventually gassed them once the protesters tried to breach the line. Still no rioting and violence but it seems to be trending in that direction.

I don't think these folks understand that the police attempts to de-escalate are going to end at the parish line in Gretna once JPSO steps in. Or maybe they do.

Oh well. It was nice while it lasted, right?

Do you have a link for this, or was it sent to you in an email/text?

I ask because one of the reports I read said the majority of misinformation was being transmitted that way, and not by direct linking or facebook posts.

I did hear the first-hand interview about the medic station on TV last night, but it looks like this version has some embellishment.

That's a good call out. Thank you to the other members for finding the information while I was away.

I would prefer NOPD not to have done that. At the same time, they were still fairly restrained. No arrests. No rubber bullets. Nobody being hit with batons. And frankly, those proteststors don't want to know what would have happened had they gotten past NOPD and faced off with JPSO. Not to mention the Bridge Police. It looks like NOPD set up the line at right about the end of their jurisdiction and some protestors had broken through the line.

Also still no retailation, violence, or looting by protestors so that's good.

Anyone ever been to a school board zoning meeting?

these seemingly minor things are major. Usually held at times poor, black parents can’t attend. And if they do, they have little agency.

When they are the visible minority, there’s not a lot of input many times and a bunch of Karen’s end up yelling and complaining and harassing the board to split neighborhoods and gerrymander a school district so their white kid doesn’t have to go to a school that a black or brown kid goes to.

In one case, a school with 12% black students was too “full of slower kids and discipline problems”

these decisions have ENORMOUS impact on racial segregation in our country. And it needs to end. It’s more urgent, imo, than the voting gerrymandering.

More equitable zoning. More equitable resource allocation. More equitable educational opportunity.

You want change for poorer schools fast?

Put Karen’s kids in them
I grew up in a diverse city, Hammond, Indiana. The solution in Hammond was to allow any student who lived in the city to attend any public school that was appropriate for their age and grade. I didn't see African Americans, Hispanics, etc. using it though I'm sure that it happened. My school was a safe(er) haven for homosexual kids. A lot of the LGBT kids transferred to my high school. They still had a tougher time of it than the rest of us but they weren't in physical danger. It helped them. The city is/was integrated enough that transferring for racial reasons wasn't necessarily, beneficial but it would help in other districts.

There are a couple of things that can be done. First is changing how schools are funded. In California the state pays schools, no matter where (with a few exceptions) the same ADA. So a kid in downtown LA gets the same as a kid in Beverley Hills as a kid in the Central Valley. It’s not that easy but if you think that way it works. That way it flattened out school funding instead of funding by district where a poor area had bad schools and a rich one had great schools. The other part and this came into play just a few years ago is what’s called the Williamson’s Act. This is a lawsuit which makes it so that each school has a safe clean campus and currant adoptions of all texts along with monitoring credentials so a district can’t just dump on poor areas.
I don’t understand it well enough, and you can certainly clear this up for me, but isn’t the public/private school in Louisiana just de facto segregation except on income vs race. Which in a lot of instances is race anyway?
In Indiana the state funds the schools but punishes the top performing schools by cutting their funding and they give it to the poorly performing schools. I think that the top 20% give to the bottom 20%. In my town we have had to vote twice to raise our property taxes to cover the difference.

In Indiana the state funds the schools but punishes the top performing schools by cutting their funding and they give it to the poorly performing schools. I think that the top 20% give to the bottom 20%. In my town we have had to vote twice to raise our property taxes to cover the difference.
Damn. Were the increases a lot?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom