The Demonstrations in Minnesota (Update: Now Nationwide){Now International} (4 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm starting a thread here for those who want to discuss the riots that have/are taking place because of the unspeakable inhumanity of that pathetic excuse for a police officer murdering a black man by kneeling on his neck for what I believe was ten minutes or so.

The other thread is about the murder and the discussion is getting derailed with the two topics going simultaneously. Of course I don't like to see riots ever happen, but I totally understand why they do when they make sense. This isn't Los Angeles looting and rioting because the Lakers won a championship. This is (even worse than) the Rodney King riots. After Philando Castile being murdered on camera and the cop getting acquitted in the same area of the state, if you can't understand why people are rioting now, here's the thread for you to find out. Racism is why they're rioting. They don't feel like there's another choice since this kind of thing keeps happening over and over again with little to no repercussions to the murderers in many cases.

Anyway, respect the other thread's topic and discussion and talk about your feelings about the riots - or rioting in general - in this thread if that's what you want to talk about.
Let me just say again, this started with about 30 people rushing Target and stealing stuff. It was all obviously planned. Cops show up, of course. How does this possibly give good attention to the victim of the bad cop?? I'm so glad it was in vid, and bad cops WILL go to jail, but how is this helping?

Last edited:
I ran across this and think it might be worth considering. I'm not sure it's 100% accurate, but it does seem to have some validity.

7d9c92e8b33f9a5b42b4302af69289be5bee78b8.jpg

There is no excuse for rioting. A peaceful protest I can see but to destroy property and theft is NOT!

For some people in extreme situations or circumstances, that isn't always necessarily the case especially if the items stolen, looted, burned down or were lost via extreme weather events (tornadoes, hurricanes, etc), are family heirlooms, or historical items or objects that have been passed down generationally for decades or centuries that are highly sentimental.

There worth is far more precious, emotional and would be devastatingly felt by family or friends for a long time after it's been lost or destroyed.

So, no, it's not just "forking" stuff that even from a long distance perspective can be easily replaced or forgotten about by former owners like it's some bag of groceries, Reebok or Nike tennis shoes, or having your Ford F-150 pickup being vandalized, stolen, or wrecked.

They're looting huge big box retail stores, not your grand mammy's photo album.

Let me just say again, this started with about 30 people rushing Target and stealing stuff. It was all obviously planned. Cops show up, of course. How does this possibly give good attention to the victim of the bad cop?? I'm so glad it was in vid, and bad cops WILL go to jail, but how is this helping?

There are police chiefs around the country who are now denouncing the MPD officers' actions.

Are they doing it to head off any civil unrest in their towns and not because they truly mean it? Probably. But does it set an example that many police chiefs are backing the victim publicly? Of course it does.

The notion that there is nothing to gain from rioting is nonsense. Perhaps if the police, politicians, and general "comfortable" white and rich America felt a little bit of the same type of fear that people of color live with constantly, they might be just a little less apt to kill the next black man that bounces a check and talks uppity to them.

"We're going to start burning things every time you murder one of us" is a pretty good deterrent.

Burn baby burn. Burn the whole town until they throw that son of a birch in jail.

But you do get the larger moral and ethical argument/point I was making in response to Dave's post earlier?

No, because you made a disingenuous argument. The looters are looting huge multi-billion dollar conglomerates. There is no real loss of either sentimental or actual value. Target will be fine. They have insurance, and they'll be able to order plenty more Chip and Joanna themed wall art. Looting a target is essentially a victimless crime. The only victims are insurance companies, and they can get forked.

There are police chiefs around the country who are now denouncing the MPD officers' actions.

Are they doing it to head off any civil unrest in their towns and not because they truly mean it? Probably. But does it set an example that many police chiefs are backing the victim publicly? Of course it does.

The notion that there is nothing to gain from rioting is nonsense. Perhaps if the police, politicians, and general "comfortable" white and rich America felt a little bit of the same type of fear that people of color live with constantly, they might be just a little less apt to kill the next black man that bounces a check and talks back to them.

Burn baby burn. Burn the whole town until they throw that son of a birch in jail.
Bad cop will go to jail, thanks to the vid. Every other innocent person in the city does not deserve to have their businesses burned down, and looters dont need free tvs.

Loose, let's look at it a little deeper, then. Maybe not in these riots in Minneapolis in 2020, but during the late 60s race riots in Detroit, Newark, Oakland, Ca., Baltimore yes they were documented cases of rioters going into people's homes, not just businesses and killing, burning, destroying objects in the manner I was describing.

Look beyond 2020 and see the bigger picture from the prism of the past.

I ran across this and think it might be worth considering. I'm not sure it's 100% accurate, but it does seem to have some validity.

7d9c92e8b33f9a5b42b4302af69289be5bee78b8.jpg

It makes sense. But what is the end game?

Tell the cops not to kill people??

They are already told that.

Tell America not to be racists?

Those that aren’t will continue to not be, those that are will continue to be.

Put these 4 in jail? That’s already happening.

Unfortunately I think this really hurt lots of people, black and white, that work at Target, TJMaxx, Autozone, etc.

If I understood the end game, or thought actual change would come.....I’d be in full support.

Bad cop will go to jail, thanks to the vid. Every other innocent person in the city does not deserve to have their businesses burned down,

Are you seeing mom and pop shops burned down? Locally owned type stuff? Because yeah, I totally would agree with you if they were burning people's houses or local restaurants or whatever. All I've read is Target and TJ Maxx. Like I said to 2884, that's basically a victimless crime. Those companies are going to be juts fine.

and looters dont need free tvs.

Eh. If I were rioting, I'd probably grab a TV while I was there. Might as well.

It makes sense. But what is the end game?

Tell the cops not to kill people??

They are already told that.

Tell America not to be racists?

Those that aren’t will continue to not be, those that are will continue to be.

Put these 4 in jail? That’s already happening.

Unfortunately I think this really hurt lots of people, black and white, that work at Target, TJMaxx, Autozone, etc.

If I understood the end game, or thought actual change would come.....I’d be in full support.

"I just don't understand why this guy who keeps getting punched in the face with no repercussions finally threw a punch back! What is he thinking?!?!"

No, because you made a disingenuous argument. The looters are looting huge multi-billion dollar conglomerates. There is no real loss of either sentimental or actual value. Target will be fine. They have insurance, and they'll be able to order plenty more Chip and Joanna themed wall art. Looting a target is essentially a victimless crime. The only victims are insurance companies, and they can get forked.
Really, only huge companies are being effected? Just earlier I heard a furniture company was on fire. Also small business putting signs up "black owned" to try to avoid the destruction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom