N/S The Rock Buys The XFL For $15 Million (1 Viewer)

The problem with the XFL is lack of good QB play. PJ Walker was the only successful QB that they had. If teams can’t put up points, then people won’t watch.

I posted this in another forum but think it bears mentioning here:

Think about this: how on earth is the NFL going to work in 2020? 32 teams criss-crossing the country. Every second person will be diagnosed with COVID19. It might be manageable prior to training camp where players and staff can isolate away from the team, but all it will take is for a couple of individuals to fall ill in-season and you'll have a whole team unavailable for three weeks. There is a bit of flexibility in the scheduling which could see the Super Bowl pushed back until the end of February, but I don't think there is enough to accommodate the kind of interruptions the league is likely to face. If my man Ryan Ramczyk contracts it on a Wednesday, and is asymptomatic through Sunday having taken reps at practice on Thursday and Friday, you can bet your bottom dollar that every last defensive and offensive lineman for the New Orleans Saints will be infectious.

Meanwhile, what are the features of the XFL? Fewer teams, no players' association and a bunch of guys who are keen to make a name for themselves and forge a living as full-time professional football players -- those to me are the ingredients that would enable the XFL to establish a bubble like the NBA in a way the NFL just cannot (and is not proposing to do).

This could actually be a pretty smart bet for The Rock. A $15 million flyer on the NFL season being severely impacted or possibly cancelled in due course, allowing the XFL to establish a competition in a more tightly-controlled environment and after an absence of professional football or some sort of farcical half-season. Add to that a captive audience with various restrictions on the movement of people and you may actually have a constellation of circumstances that provide the best possible platform for a viable spring league.

I'm happy that it got bought but I have very low hopes for it going forward now. I was really hoping Disney/ESPN, Fox, someone like that would buy it. The Rock is awesome, but he doesn't have the kind of money that Vince had to throw around. $15 to buy it, great... but now what are you going to do with it?

Like someone else mentioned: The Rock is well liked, as opposed to Vince, which could help him form some good relationships but I don't think he has the kind of money to do anything with this. Also I've never heard of "Redbird Capital" or whatever.

Ballers is coming!!!!

Only if they want to lose money. An affiliated league would never make people interested. It has to be it's own thing first and foremost and make people interested in the rivalries and make the championship worth something. This is the reason people watch sports in the first place, It is to watch true competition, even if the talent level is not that great. Being a farm league should comes as a consequence not a goal.
A watered-down football league has tried, what . . . 3 times to make it work, including 2 attempts by the XFL? They didn't work. And I can't imagine them ever working without a good tie-in to the NFL.

A watered-down football league has tried, what . . . 3 times to make it work, including 2 attempts by the XFL? They didn't work. And I can't imagine them ever working without a good tie-in to the NFL.
USFL could have made it had they not tried to move and go against the NFL.

Also I've never heard of "Redbird Capital" or whatever.

It's a private equity firm with $4 billion under management.

They own stakes in a number of companies including an NFL hospitality company and the Toulouse Football Club (currently in France's second division).

It's a private equity firm with $4 billion under management.

They own stakes in a number of companies including an NFL hospitality company and the Toulouse Football Club (currently in France's second division).

Well that's a good sign I suppose. Do you think they have a decent chance of making more out of this then Vince was able to?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom