The Running-Up-The-Score Fiction (1 Viewer)

I guess we should have punted the ball back to them on 1st down and kept our defense on the field the entire 4 th qtr

Why do NBA, Major League & NHL teams never complain about running up the score? Only NFL.

The Saints players get paid to play the entire game. With it being a home game, they handled business for their paying customers. Eagles should have done more to stop them, but they hosed it the whole second half. No mercy, foot on throat.

It doesn't happen often in the NFL but every now and again teams get blown out.
It happens!!

It's happened to the Saints way more than once over the years and not one time ever did I feel like the other team ran up the score.

If you don't like it then score more and keep the other team from scoring so much!!

09/16/1973
Falcons 62
Saints 7

Atlanta broke more team records in a single game than any other team in NFL history, something they still list in their official history on their website.

Running up the score does exist. This game was it. :soapbox:

What happened the next game? I'm just curious.

What happened the next game? I'm just curious.

If you mean the next game that season, the Cowboys pounded the Saints, 40 to 3.
If you mean the next game with the Falcons, the Saints lost 14 to 10.
Overall, it was a 5 - 9 season for us.

I watched the 62 to 7 beatdown with my father, who got madder and madder with every score. He cut loose with his Sportsmanship speech, concluding it by stringing together a chain of profanities he learned in the Marines in the 1930s. Whew!

If you mean the next game that season, the Cowboys pounded the Saints, 40 to 3.
If you mean the next game with the Falcons, the Saints lost 14 to 10.
Overall, it was a 5 - 9 season for us.

I watched the 62 to 7 beatdown with my father, who got madder and madder with every score. He cut loose with his Sportsmanship speech, concluding it by stringing together a chain of profanities he learned in the Marines in the 1930s. Whew!

Oh, I meant the next game against the Falcons -- as a counter point to those who say the Saints might lose because they ran up the score on the Eagles.

So, the guys who seldom get off the bench finally get a chance to show their stuff. Guys that are constantly having to prove they belong. You tell them to not try so hard cause we don't want to hurt the other teams feelings.

One of my fondest memories of that game was the Falcons QB was named Dick Shiner and the Saints kicker was named Happy Feller.
Still cracks me up to this date.
I didn't know this. This post just made my day! Lmao

Saints did not run up the score. Anyone who watched that game live knows that. Pure fantasy.

Steelers and Panthers scored 3TDs in under 30 seconds
I’ve seen back to back TDs in under 10 seconds

So with 14 minutes left in the game why should we NOT be scoring. Thing can change in an instant.

Steelers and Panthers scored 3TDs in under 30 seconds
I’ve seen back to back TDs in under 10 seconds

So with 14 minutes left in the game why should we NOT be scoring. Thing can change in an instant.

In 1979 on Monday Night Football, the Saints blew a 35-14 lead, allowing Kenny Stabler and the Oakland Raiders to score 3 TDs to tie the game. The Raiders won 42-35.

"They just don't know how to win," Howard Cosell said of the Saints.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom