The saddest part of yesterday’s shutout, and hope for the future (1 Viewer)

IMHO I think the most disappointing part of yesterday’s loss to the 49ers is that we could have won. We had 13-17 points (at least) just not hit. The missed fg, the Juwan Johnson/Taysom Hill end zone drops, the Kamara fumble. Those all should have been points, but we couldn’t cash in. We should have been in the thick of it, and we couldn’t finish the job. That is more on the players than the coaches. The game plan could have been better, but the coaches can only do so much when players aren’t handling the ball properly.

The good news is, if the players can figure out how to catch the ball, or get the ball through the upright, or not trip on their own feet (still not sure how that wasn’t called a catch), this team can compete. So much of our lack of success can be boiled down to self inflicted wounds and poor game plans.

If we can get the right coaching in here (who the players will follow), we have talent to compete with darn near anyone. We don’t need to make wholesale changes to get on the right side of the ledger, we are constantly “almost there”.

I don’t think we will make the playoffs this season, but with proper reshaping this offseason, we can be back in the hunt next year.
I agree the game was very much winnable for us. Just look at the 8 games lost. Look at our offensive possessions and compare the scoring drives to the mishaps. You will see our season right before your eyes. Example @ SF 8 possessions 5punts, fumbles, miss fg. San Fran scored 0 in a game and 10pts twice 13 pts was one of their lowest outputs an we shot blanks.

That’s part of being a bad team. The breaks just don’t go your way and the ball always bounces the other way. We had that mojo in 2009, things went our way for once and I guess we used it all up cause it hasn’t since.

I didn’t see AK’s first fumble, but the one at the goal line he was doing everything he could to score and even had the ball tucked well but Tufanga just laid a perfect hit and knocked it out. It’s crap like that and the BS no catch call on Olave that goes with being a bad, motivationless team.

It's high time for the front office to change its paradigm. This is not a good team, which is the new premise. No more trading up to target specific players in the draft. Instead, start accumulating draft picks with an eye toward replacing aging and often injured players.

The two most glaring weaknesses I observe are QB and DT. Let's add safety to that. In my view, these positions need to be targeted; we no longer can just use BPA as a criterion.

When a team of pros start making uncharacteristic mistakes consistently (when they never did before) after a coaching change, it probably has a little bit to do with how the house is being (or not being) kept in order.

That's the frustrating part for me. We have proven talent and we see the team faltering because of lack of execution in coaching, game planning, and on the field.

Same here, I’ve been saying this for a while now….

I don't think our problem is talent on the player side, we have enough good, healthy players right now to field a winning team. When stars make stupid mistakes or try and do too much that's a reflection on the coaching itself, and the players faith in those coaches. I'm not an advocate for in-season firings, and I'm sadly pessimistic that they'll even make a change at the end of the season (with the possible exception of Carmichael being the scapegoat), but man I wish/hope/pray that they rebuild this coaching staff come January. The continuity experiment was a fine idea, but it's obvious this team needs fresh blood.

My ideal scenario is DA gets fired, Payton is traded for a 1st at least, Carmichael and DA follow Payton wherever he goes, the Saints find a hungry and passionate leader to take this team over, and Loomis finds a way to get better at QB, Safety, DT, and running back (assuming Kamara misses time next year) without mortgaging the future. One can hope.
Is scapegoat really accurate for Charmichael?

Firing would be for valid cause.

He didn’t even want the job and results show it.

Last edited:
just out of curiosity does any one know how often a team has won with a shut out and been shut out in the same season?

It can't have happened that often

Is scapegoat really accurate for Charmichael?

Firing would for valid cause.

He didn’t even want the job and results show it.
There’s probably a better word I guess, he’s deserving of being let go based off of his performance, but I could see them firing him and only him which would amount to essentially saying all their coaching miscues were his/on the offense and not address the core issue of the HC.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom