Saints The Saints’ Need Almost Nobody is Talking About... (1 Viewer)

Saint Taysom

MultiTool Tool
Reaction score
Tight End

Jared Cook is 33 years old and entering the final year of his contract. Josh Hill will be 30 when next season starts, and he’s never been a guy that can really be a #1 TE... behind Cook and Hill are just a bunch of bodies, and the best option after the top 2 is the QB of the future (Taysom Hill).

This draft would be the ideal time to address the TE position and groom a young, high upside TE to be the successor of the position beyond 2020.

Who/What are your opinions on guys that could be the future of the Saints TE spot? I would expect the Saints to add a well-rounded TE that can both be a viable/dangerous receiver as well as a competent and reliable blocker.

Is there a TE in the draft that would be worthy of a 1st round pick? The Saints could have their pick of the litter at #24, but I question whether or not there is a player that would be better than the best available LB, WR, or CB in the Saints slot. However, the draft is also very deep at LB, WR, and CB...

Who are your favorite TE prospects in this draft? Again, would any be worthy of a 1st round pick? Who would be the best options in the 3rd or 4th round? Who are the sleepers that could be had on Day 3 or as potential UDFA’s?

I love studying prospects and I have a few guys that I find intriguing at the TE position (Kmet and Trautman), but I’m interested in hearing the opinions of SSF members and draftniks...

If you can, please give me 3 TE prospects that you like... 1 that may be an option at 24 (even if it would be a slight reach)... 1 that would be a Day 2/3 option... and 1 that you would consider a sleeper/darkhorse that could be a late pick or UDFA.

Late round or FA. This is a win now season. There are other positions that are more critical. Cook, Josh Hill and Taysom are plenty good enough. I think there are also 1 or 2 TEs on the practice squad.
This year’s number 1 needs to step in and play, be it an OL, Lb, WR especially with no #2.

He's super raw (a la Jimmy Graham), but I think Albert Okwuegbunam can be something special at the position. Apparently, there are some maturity issues with him that make him a 2nd-day pick, but in terms of pure talent, he could be a round 1 guy.

Next, I'll go with Adam Trautman from Dayton. A little on the slower side but, from all accounts, is a football player through and through.

As for a sleeper, I'll go with LSU's Stephen Sullivan. Overshadowed by Thaddeus Moss last season but had a great combine.

Took a late swing last year. Everything I've read about this draft class says TE is one of the weakest groups. Maybe a late cut addition if someone surprisingly gets released closer to the season?

If Brycen Hopkins from Purdue is still there (Edit: in round 3) there's a chance, but, he likes to drop the ball. He's a good athlete but he's probably not what is needed on a superbowl or bust team.

Last edited:
All I can see when I look is LB... we need LB... why? because we are now playing in a division where check downs are going to eat us alive. Tampa Bay.. no longer the close your eyes and let it fly... Carolina no longer the ..should i run or should i throw check down.

I always forget the other team, they just dont seem relevant.

I’m hoping that Stephen Sullivan is available in the 5th and we take him there unless we didn’t get a receiver in the earlier rounds. Think he would be like Dan Arnold, but an upgrade with huge upside.

At 24 no one, but if I had to choose I’d go with Trautman or Kmet.
2/3: Thaddeus Moss, Colby Parkinson, Albert Okwuegbunam, Jared Pinckney, Hunter Bryant.
Sleeper: Jacob Breeland

Not a strong class and def not anyone I would like at #24, but a few to swing at with a 4th, 5th or 6th Rd pick, for sure. Some of my favs after digging in:
Colby Parkinson, Stanford
Brycen Hopkins, Purdue
Jared Pinkney, Vandy

I still wish we would have kept Nate Wozniak at TE to develop him instead of moving him to OL. Dude was 6'9, nice tall target lol

Cook and JHill with Taysom playing some role is not a weakness.

In fact it’s much better than most teams.

Now with THill moving to QB and Cook getting older, it will need some attention in the future, but it’s not a weakness right now.

If Brycen Hopkins from Purdue is still there there's a chance, but, he likes to drop the ball. He's a good athlete but he's probably not what is needed on a superbowl or bust team.

Definitely don’t want Coby Fleener 2.0

He's super raw (a la Jimmy Graham), but I think Albert Okwuegbunam can be something special at the position. Apparently, there are some maturity issues with him that make him a 2nd-day pick, but in terms of pure talent, he could be a round 1 guy.

Next, I'll go with Adam Trautman from Dayton. A little on the slower side but, from all accounts, is a football player through and through.

As for a sleeper, I'll go with LSU's Stephen Sullivan. Overshadowed by Thaddeus Moss last season but had a great combine.

This is my list as well. Only thing is that I don't see Okwuegbunam as a day 1 guy. I don't see ANY round one worthy TEs.
That being said, unless we somehow end up with a 2nd round pick, Okwuegbunam is probably gone before we pick in the late 3rd round.

Another guy I like is Brycen Hopkins from Purdue on day 2. He could potentially be there at pick #88.

Agree on Sullivan. He's got the size/weight/speed. Questionable hands though. If not for that, Moss wouldn't have seen the field nearly as much last season. Good late day 3 pick or possible UDFA.

We don't carry 4 TE and none of JH, JC or TH are being cut. If TH is being taken out of the Joker role (I'm not sold on this being the case), then a third TE becomes a possibility.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom