The Saint's Elephant defense (1 Viewer)

brickfish

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
I saw several metions of the Saints showing Stafford an elephant defense last weekend? What exactly is that and what personnel did the Saints use in this formation vs. Detroit?

duckjr78

Look out, its FrankenBaby
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The way I understand it, it's a 3 down lineman and 3 LB defensive front and then you let B. McCray roam aropund wherever he wants based on the offensive formation.

Leastbay

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
happy-elephant-011.jpg

jhill

ALL PRO
Reaction score
I saw several metions of the Saints showing Stafford an elephant defense last weekend? What exactly is that and what personnel did the Saints use in this formation vs. Detroit?
Maybe they are trying to say our defense never forgets. :ezbill:

Reaction score
An elephant defense is usually a 4-3 defense with a cover-2 coverage. The only difference is that a Defensive end is usually standing up showing blitz but has the option to drop into coverage or blitz. This defensive end is known as an "elephant" end. I have no idea why, but that is what my high school called it. A lot of time a LB will come in in place of a DE to play as the elephant.

I believe the Saints brought in a 4th Linebacker in this formation bringing Marvin Mitchell in and lining up in a 3-4 but having Shanle play the Elephant in a standup DE position.

To answer your question simply, it is basically a 3-4 personell lined up as a 4-3 defense.

jhill

ALL PRO
Reaction score
Maybe they are trying to say our defense never forgets. :ezbill:

An elephant defense is usually a 4-3 defense with a cover-2 coverage. The only difference is that a Defensive end is usually standing up showing blitz but has the option to drop into coverage or blitz. This defensive end is known as an "elephant" end. I have no idea why, but that is what my high school called it. A lot of time a LB will come in in place of a DE to play as the elephant.

I believe the Saints brought in a 4th Linebacker in this formation bringing Marvin Mitchell in and lining up in a 3-4 but having Shanle play the Elephant in a standup DE position.

To answer your question simply, it is basically a 3-4 personell lined up as a 4-3 defense.
Ya thats what I meant.

BnGfan

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
I like the concept and definitely think we have quick enough personnel to run it. Confusion is key for any successful defense.

Haughton Who Dat

Our time
Reaction score
Bobby McCray sorta roams along the line before the snap. He could blitz or drop into coverage. I'm not sure if they run it out the 4-3 or the 3-4 alignment.

Consiglieri

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I thought it was a 4-3 but a DE comes in as one of the 3 LBs and blitzes from wherever he wants. So you could call it 5-2.

Reaction score
Ok, from watching the game, we ran every kind of defense we can.

We ran the 3-4, 4-3, dime, nickel, elephant, cover-1, cover-2, cover-3. Wow, our D is going to be as fun to watch as our O for football heads.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread