The Saints fear Saints CB Delvin Breaux has a broken fibula, according to a source. (1 Viewer)

wine-crying-desk.gif

I guess count me as perplexed in how Payton and Loomis managed the CB situation during the offseason and TC. They had to know Lewis was questionable making it back. Then you have Kyle Wilson being lost due to injury before TC even gets off the ground. Swann was coming back from two concussions, so another big question mark. PJ Williams, ditto. You bring in Finnegan, than cut him. Then you sign the guy from Buffalo who has experience and has played well to a degree but then you may him inactive. Then you carry 6 RBs on the roster. In the end, you're CB depth is basically two undrafted rookie FAs coming into game 1. I'm not a GM but I just don't get it.

I agree. Too many questions.

I think there's an answer to Moore though. Noway could he of been active yesterday without even barely practicing with the team. He'll be starting this week I bet.

I guess count me as perplexed in how Payton and Loomis managed the CB situation during the offseason and TC. They had to know Lewis was questionable making it back. Then you have Kyle Wilson being lost due to injury before TC even gets off the ground. Swann was coming back from two concussions, so another big question mark. PJ Williams, ditto. You bring in Finnegan, than cut him. Then you sign the guy from Buffalo who has experience and has played well to a degree but then you may him inactive. Then you carry 6 RBs on the roster. In the end, you're CB depth is basically two undrafted rookie FAs coming into game 1. I'm not a GM but I just don't get it.

Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth -- or until your all-pro talented corner breaks his fibula leaving the secondary duties to a bunch of undrafted rookies and second year guys -- and with no pass rush.

Had Breaux not gotten injured, we probably win that game -- and possibly by a couple of scores.

Brees is the one person we can't afford to lose on offense -- Breaux was that guy on defense. And we lost him --- and everything fell apart after.

Our secondary went from a potential strength in training camp, to the same MASH unit it was the past two seasons. It's hard to predict when people will get injured and unfortunately, we lost a guy we couldn't afford to lose.

The Defense the past couple of years has gone from...who are we going to cut?... to who are we going to call? barbarians at the gate, these football deities.

Did the team ever say what exactly Wilson did to his elbow? That happened awhile ago. Didn't seem like he needed to be IRed with that timeframe.

it was 52 weeks post-surgery and he got hurt again after one practice. had one team show interest and they passed and since then there's been nothing. he's most likely done.

You say he's done, based on what, what information do you have besides he practiced once and wasn't ready. Nowhere did I read where it was said that he was reinjured and he said he would be ready by the start of the season. Yeah he tried out for Steelers a few days later and probably still not ready. Now that the season has started and we're down one starting CB, what would be so bad about checking on him to see if he is fully healthy.

You say he's done, based on what, what information do you have besides he practiced once and wasn't ready. Nowhere did I read where it was said that he was reinjured and he said he would be ready by the start of the season. Yeah he tried out for Steelers a few days later and probably still not ready. Now that the season has started and we're down one starting CB, what would be so bad about checking on him to see if he is fully healthy.

let me count the ways.

a) he wasn't ready 52 WEEKS after having a surgery. that's a long time.

b) he got interest from one other team who presumably saw his medicals and then passed.

c) he flamed the organization and DC on his way out of his hometown.

Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth -- or until your all-pro talented corner breaks his fibula leaving the secondary duties to a bunch of undrafted rookies and second year guys -- and with no pass rush.

Had Breaux not gotten injured, we probably win that game -- and possibly by a couple of scores.

Brees is the one person we can't afford to lose on offense -- Breaux was that guy on defense. And we lost him --- and everything fell apart after.

Our secondary went from a potential strength in training camp, to the same MASH unit it was the past two seasons. It's hard to predict when people will get injured and unfortunately, we lost a guy we couldn't afford to lose.

I realize that about Breaux and the defense and that's my point. I'm not getting the plan. It doesn't make sense. Everyone here during the preseason was going on and on about the OL but no one paid attention to the CB situation, which was where the real issues were. Thats obvious now to most. You basically had Breaux, an unproven PJ Williams (coming off an injury), Swann (coming off two concussions), Lewis (coming off injuries from the past two seasons), you lost Kyle Wilson to a season ending injury, and then you've got 2 UDRFAs as your only true healthy depth. All the while carrying 6 RBs on the roster and releasing Finnegan. Then you sign this guy from Buffalo to later to make the active roster. If they had him earlier, they may have been able to pull this off yesterday despite Breaux going down. Just no getting it.

let me count the ways.

a) he wasn't ready 52 WEEKS after having a surgery. that's a long time.

b) he got interest from one other team who presumably saw his medicals and then passed.

c) he flamed the organization and DC on his way out of his hometown.

I will admit, you were right about him not being able to play again. I read his message in another thread and it sounds like his career is over. it's a dang shame,'cause we sure could have used his help right now.

We need to get someone in here that can play out on the edge. Right now all we have or CB's that are good in the slot.

would y'all be interested in some major trade? say a 2nd for a starting cb? I know they are a rare commodity in the NFL and will probably demand a 1st. Would you be in favor of that?

No. If we were a true contender maybe, but not as a mostly young, rebuilding team. Why mortgage the future in that situation?

EDIT: Depends on the age of said starting CB. If he's like 26 and we can move forward with him, sure. If he's just a vet stopgap, pass.

I am with you on that. If we had a pass rush then MAYBE get a top notch corner. But we don't have the edge pass rush and there is no way we can get a good/great rusher via trade. Those won't come around. That will have to be an end season move. I think we just roll with what we have, sign a vet to help bring these corners along and bring some semblance of stability. No pass rush and rookie corners= opposing qbs salivating.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom