The Saints have not won a preseason game since August 23, 2014 (1 Viewer)

Kamara Time in NO

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Say what you want about preseason not mattering but to me that's pretty bad. They are on the verge of going two preseasons in a row without winning a game. Does anyone really think they're going to come out and just start winning games once the regular season starts? I don't.

BBarnes6182

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
I usually go into every single year objective as can be and as excited as any fan in the world can be for their team. Even this year, I have bought into the defense looks much better hype. The truth is people are correct, you can't worry about the out come of preseason games because you aren't game planning at all. People that say the 3rd game is almost like a real game are mislead and flat out incorrect. Just because starters play longer doesn't mean anything. There is still NO game planning and plays being run that are as basic as you will see on a Friday night at your local high school.

HOWEVER, things you can see are talent or lack there of, the brand of football your team is playing (finesse or physical), individual battles, etc. Our offensive line is one of if not the worst that I have watched out of all teams the entire preseason. Armstead isn't near 100%, Peat is beat up mentally I am assuming being that he has been pretty mediocre to bad at every line position he has played so far this off season and preseason, Strief is done for the most part, Unger is having to try and do too much to help our AWFUL guard play, and our guards are well below average. Everything we are seeing right now out of our oline is screaming for a LONG season.

BUT, let's hope in the next two weeks we find a combo that works for us that can allow us to be in a decent position midway through the season to attempt to make a push for a playoff spot.

msusaintsfan

All-Pro & Resident Ninja
Reaction score
Diamondhead, MS via Houston, Tx, via Starkville, M
I didn't read one TC report because I didn't want to hear about how they were TC champion beasts.

They will not win next week either. Way too many issues and guys dropping like flies. O line is not good. No QB pressure, well pretty much the same issues we have seen the last couple of years.

This is a 5 to 7 win team right now. Could crazy things happen? Sure but right now 8 wins would be over achieving.

blackadder

...from a chicken, bugwit
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I usually go into every single year objective as can be and as excited as any fan in the world can be for their team. Even this year, I have bought into the defense looks much better hype. The truth is people are correct, you can't worry about the out come of preseason games because you aren't game planning at all. People that say the 3rd game is almost like a real game are mislead and flat out incorrect. Just because starters play longer doesn't mean anything. There is still NO game planning and plays being run that are as basic as you will see on a Friday night at your local high school.

HOWEVER, things you can see are talent or lack there of, the brand of football your team is playing (finesse or physical), individual battles, etc. Our offensive line is one of if not the worst that I have watched out of all teams the entire preseason. Armstead isn't near 100%, Peat is beat up mentally I am assuming being that he has been pretty mediocre to bad at every line position he has played so far this off season and preseason, Strief is done for the most part, Unger is having to try and do too much to help our AWFUL guard play, and our guards are well below average. Everything we are seeing right now out of our oline is screaming for a LONG season.

BUT, let's hope in the next two weeks we find a combo that works for us that can allow us to be in a decent position midway through the season to attempt to make a push for a playoff spot.
This is going to also come back onto coaching because they have to have the guts to make the changes needed, and this staff doesn't always do it until lots of damage has been done.

Exhibit A for me again is Strief. He was looking slow last year and got abused by elite rushers. It was time for a transition but the regime has ignored it. This year he's looking even a step slower and was again abused by an elite rusher in Clowney.

It's not to beat up on Strief but that's the business yet the coaching staff hasn't managed the OL very well with failure to address Strief, the shuffling of Peat, and election to not bring in any draft or FA help at Guard. Clearly they are willing to gamble with Brees more than most of us would. Everybody could see the issues on the OL. Everybody.

It's all about the LOS and this regime neglects the LOS in favor of skill positions.

BBarnes6182

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
This is going to also come back onto coaching because they have to have the guts to make the changes needed, and this staff doesn't always do it until lots of damage has been done.

Exhibit A for me again is Strief. He was looking slow last year and got abused by elite rushers. It was time for a transition but the regime has ignore it. This year he's looking even a step slower and was again abused by an elite rusher in Clowney.

It's not to beat up on Strief but that's the business yet the coaching staff hasn't managed the OL very well with failure to address Strief, the shuffling of Peat, and election to not bring in any draft FA help at Guard. Clearly they are willing to gamble with Brees more than most of us would.

It's all about the LOS and this regime neglects the LOS in favor of skill positions.

agree 100%

blackjack

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
They went 3-1 in 2014, finished 7-9.

They went 0-4 last year, finished 7-9.

I don't care if they win or lose these games at all, just looking to see how various players look. Now can we be real here: nobody has perfected the preseason to regular season translator.

The 2011 Saints offense looked so bad in the preaseason you could dig up threads about it, and it might be our best one ever.

The 2014 Saints looked really good in every preaseason game and nearly went undefeated, so it's hard to really tell what a team is going to turn out to be like.

We do know the struggles of the OL, but they tend to get better over the course of the season. We also know that they're super young at corner, so growing pains are to be expected.

The Steelers are better than us, that's just a fact. I'm glad they had the chance to play them because it lets them see how far they have to go to get back to that level. Too early to write off the season though.

the bank

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
I don't know.. 2014 they looked like the best team in the NFL in preseason ... We know how that worked out.....

Wheelo

I <3 Saints
Reaction score
I love how have ignored our oline because we locked up Armstead long term, traded our super star tight end for a starting center, and most recently used a high draft pick for a tackle. But we have completely ignored the oline for years and it's coming back to bite us...

blackadder

VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I love how have ignored our oline because we locked up Armstead long term, traded our super star tight end for a starting center, and most recently used a high draft pick for a tackle. But we have completely ignored the oline for years and it's coming back to bite us...
Yes, they ignored the Guard and RT situation this year despite what was done in prior years. Guard's are playing awful and Strief is running on fumes and nothing was done except to bring in a lot of UDFAs and hope.

That's a huge gamble when your QB's kryptonite is middle pressure in his face and plus not his RT will get abused by top rushers unless you hold a receiver in and give him help.

Wheelo

I <3 Saints
Reaction score
Yes, they ignored the Guard and RT situation this year despite what was done in prior years. Guard's are playing awful and Strief is running on fumes and nothing was done except to bring in a lot of UDFAs and hope.

That's a huge gamble when your QB's kryptonite is middle pressure in his face and plus not his RT will get abused by top rushers unless you hold a receiver in and give him help.
They didn't ignore it. They drafted Peat to play right tackle and because of shortage at guard, that's where he's playing. Their expectations of Strief's play might be a different story, but they certainly didn't ignore anything.

blackadder

VIP Contributor
Reaction score
They didn't ignore it. They drafted Peat to play right tackle and because of shortage at guard, that's where he's playing. Their expectations of Strief's play might be a different story, but they certainly didn't ignore anything.
They ignored the Guard situation and the transition for Strief. That was the issue for this year.

They elected to try an experiment with Peat and keepna declining Streif in place. The weak G, unsettled Peat and slowing Strief is going to bring turnovers, sacks and losses this year unless they find a better lineup quick.

Infamous504

Showing True Colors
Reaction score

They ignore it this offseason. The main upgrade we need in the offense was the guard position. They didn't address it at all. Spare me about Landon Turner. The main objective should have been protecting a 37 Drew Brees.

RetroMcBananaFace

AKA: retrobanana
Reaction score
Preseason is 100% meaningless. The Lions went 4-0 preseason in like 2008 I believe it was, then became the first team to go 0-16 in the regular season.

If you want to say certain aspects of the team look bad, OK, but you have to realize there isn't a lot of scheming or gameplanning going into it. The performances of individual players lack context.

I don't think this is going to be a great team, but anywhere from 8-8 to 10-6 seems reasonable to expect.

LiterOCola

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
The performances of individual players lack context.
There's a lot of context. For three games straight, they get consistently beat 1v1. If the players cannot win their individual matchups, the Saints would have to be perfect in execution and planning because the other team is more skilled.

If you have 1 or 2 suspect offensive linemen, you can use scheme and assistance to help them out. When the whole line (maybe except Unger ... maybe) needs help, there's just no way to cover for that.

How do you scheme away from the entire offensive line needing help? On any given play, someone on the line is getting beat badly. Perhaps a more mobile throwing QB like Wilson could roll out and buy a few extra seconds, but Brees certainly cannot be expected to do that the entire game. He's going to want a pocket to step into, and the lottery of Peat, Lelito, Kelemete, and Strief is guaranteed to make sure a defender is in his face to meet him there.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Saints' Thomas (ankle) ruled out vs. Raiders Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints rookie LB Zack Baun expected to make NFL debut against the Raiders Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints fans 'Ask Amie:' Answers about Michael Thomas, the secondary, practice squad call-ups Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Thomas, Davenport, Hansen ruled out for Saints at Las Vegas Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints at Raiders final injury report: Cesar Ruiz to play Monday; Thomas OUT Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints will be without both Michael Thomas and Marcus Davenport against the Raiders Saints RSS News Feeds 0
DerrickB Podcast: Saints vs. Raiders MNF Preview Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 1
Week 2 rooting guide: Who Saints fans should want to win and who they should be rooting against Saints RSS News Feeds 0
WATCH: Week 2 preview video, Saints and Raiders on Monday Night Football Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Dan in Lafayette Alex Anzalone on Josh Jacobs, Saints Linebackers | Saints at Raiders Week 2 2020 SR News Page Articles 0
Dan in Lafayette Tre'Quan Smith Talks Saints Offense, Week 2 prep | Saints at Raiders 2020 SR News Page Articles 0
Dan in Lafayette Jared Cook on Jon Gruden, Saints Offensive Depth | Saints at Raiders Week 2 2020 SR News Page Articles 0
Dan in Lafayette NFL Week 2: Cesar Ruiz upgraded on Saints-Raiders injury report SR News Page Articles 0
Dan in Lafayette Saints injury report: TE Cook says Michael Thomas will miss Monday’s game SR News Page Articles 0
Dan in Lafayette Column: Don't be afraid, the Saints will still reign SR News Page Articles 0
Mike Tilleman, member of first New Orleans Saints team, dead at age 76 Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints at Raiders Friday injury report: Cesar Ruiz full Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saint Kamara Is this the best combined Saints defense/special teams/kicking units of all time? Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 7
How Jared Cook led NFL in big-play efficiency with Saints; what more targets could show Saints RSS News Feeds 1
Saints' C/G Cesar Ruiz 'feeling a lot better' after ankle injury, still to work at center, guard Saints RSS News Feeds 0
The Edge: Assessing how New Orleans Saints, Las Vegas Raiders stack up for Week 2 Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints injury report: Michael Thomas, Marcus Davenport continue to miss practice Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints rookie Ruiz likely to debut as starter against Raiders Saints RSS News Feeds 0
If crowd was allowed, Saints fans would've dominated at Raiders home opener, forecast shows Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Cincy Saint Film breakdown - Saints defense takes away the middle from Brady and the Bucs Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 0
Drew Brees, Saints a good bet in Las Vegas on Monday night Saints RSS News Feeds 0
No fans in Superdome for Week 3 vs. Packers, but Saints 'hopeful' to have fans for Chargers game Saints RSS News Feeds 0
CSC Podcast: Saints @ Raiders Game Preview Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Payton encouraged by Ruiz progress, Saints run defense Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Kicking game quality is ace in the hole for Saints Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints @ Raiders: Key matchups include Marshon Lattimore against the speedy Ruggs Saints RSS News Feeds 0
CSC’s Fantasy Start/Sit: Saints vs. Raiders, what to do with Emmanuel Sanders Saints RSS News Feeds 0
mdharper MNF Raiders at Saints Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 1
Saints social media reactions to Joe Burrow’s Thursday Night Football debut Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Film Study: Saints defense faces tough test in Josh Jacobs Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Andrus Saints activate Washington off COVID reserve; Thomas DNP SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus Saints Thursday Injury Report: 2020 Week 2 at Las Vegas Raiders... Five New Orleans players listed in Thursday's report SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus Saints starting receivers Thomas, Sanders miss practice SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus Saints-Raiders Preview SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus New Orleans Saints prepared to forge ahead if Michael Thomas cannot play SR News Page Articles 0
Michael Thomas injury: Here's what Saints did on 13 snaps without star WR in Buccaneers game Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Is the Saints defensive line primed for a big 2020? 'We could be special' Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints preparing for 'hard bubble' in Las Vegas, can't go 'roll some dice' due to coronavirus rules Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints At Raiders Thursday injury report: Michael Thomas misses practice Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints activate RB Dwayne Washington from reserve/COVID-19 list Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints Michael Thomas, Marcus Davenport miss practice; Sanders absence not injury related Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Thomas, Davenport out while Ruiz, Williams return to practice for Saints Saints RSS News Feeds 0
ktmoze Week 2: Saints Injury Report with Thomas, Davenport Listed Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 19
Friends said 'Why the Saints? Nobody likes them!' But this Canadian became a Who Dat anyhow Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Andrus New Orleans Saints legend Marques Colston announced as 2021 Louisiana Sports Hall of Fame inductee SR News Page Articles 0