The Saints have not won a preseason game since August 23, 2014 (1 Viewer)

The performances of individual players lack context.

There's a lot of context. For three games straight, they get consistently beat 1v1. If the players cannot win their individual matchups, the Saints would have to be perfect in execution and planning because the other team is more skilled.

If you have 1 or 2 suspect offensive linemen, you can use scheme and assistance to help them out. When the whole line (maybe except Unger ... maybe) needs help, there's just no way to cover for that.

How do you scheme away from the entire offensive line needing help? On any given play, someone on the line is getting beat badly. Perhaps a more mobile throwing QB like Wilson could roll out and buy a few extra seconds, but Brees certainly cannot be expected to do that the entire game. He's going to want a pocket to step into, and the lottery of Peat, Lelito, Kelemete, and Strief is guaranteed to make sure a defender is in his face to meet him there.

This is going to also come back onto coaching because they have to have the guts to make the changes needed, and this staff doesn't always do it until lots of damage has been done.

Exhibit A for me again is Strief. He was looking slow last year and got abused by elite rushers. It was time for a transition but the regime has ignored it. This year he's looking even a step slower and was again abused by an elite rusher in Clowney.

It's not to beat up on Strief but that's the business yet the coaching staff hasn't managed the OL very well with failure to address Strief, the shuffling of Peat, and election to not bring in any draft or FA help at Guard. Clearly they are willing to gamble with Brees more than most of us would. Everybody could see the issues on the OL. Everybody.

It's all about the LOS and this regime neglects the LOS in favor of skill positions.
In all fairness, they spent a 1st Rd pick on the heir apparent to Strief and it hasn't worked out.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

They ignore it this offseason. The main upgrade we need in the offense was the guard position. They didn't address it at all. Spare me about Landon Turner. The main objective should have been protecting a 37 Drew Brees.
If Brees was so adamant about getting contract extension to get an Oline man instead of Norman.

9 straight preseason loses and each game looks worse than the last. Obviously, preseason wins are meaningless but the when the team just comes out game after game looking this bad, it means something. I don't see how they can come out game 1 and just turn it around that dramatically. It just seems like this is going to be a long season.

In all fairness, they spent a 1st Rd pick on the heir apparent to Strief and it hasn't worked out.

It hasn't worked out because he hasn't been developed at the position. He should have spent all of last season as Strief's understudy. This season they should have been rotating snaps in the anticipation of getting Strief less playing time (veteran rest) so he could maintain effectiveness through entire games.

They mis-planned the guard situation. They've been trying to patch it over with Peat.

So instead of learning one position really well, he's been the LT when Armestead is out, then rotated to LG because Lelito wasn't working out, then rotated to RG when they thought Lelito was the lesser of two evils over Kelemete, then played RT when back roster players were in, then moved back to LG, then the coaches realized they were killing their first round pick and definitely placed him as a permanent LG, then three days later changed their minds and said he was going to stay at RG.

Which position will he play next week? I'm willing to bet it's not RG. Heck, I may have gotten the LG/RG swap at the end if my run-on sentence backward. I'm not really sure anymore, and I don't think Peat is either.

This is going to also come back onto coaching because they have to have the guts to make the changes needed, and this staff doesn't always do it until lots of damage has been done.

Exhibit A for me again is Strief. He was looking slow last year and got abused by elite rushers. It was time for a transition but the regime has ignored it. This year he's looking even a step slower and was again abused by an elite rusher in Clowney.

It's not to beat up on Strief but that's the business yet the coaching staff hasn't managed the OL very well with failure to address Strief, the shuffling of Peat, and election to not bring in any draft or FA help at Guard. Clearly they are willing to gamble with Brees more than most of us would. Everybody could see the issues on the OL. Everybody.

It's all about the LOS and this regime neglects the LOS in favor of skill positions.

It's painfully clear. We have not been aggressive enough in improving the line. And Peat is just not good enough. Bad pick. Some will flame me for this. But be honest. A first round elite lineman would have been plugged into a spot and he excel. At least one spot. Peat can't do it. That's the problem. He isn't good enough. He is not the answer. Strief was never a starting caliber lineman. Ever. That was a part of the downfall of the line when he became a starter for this team.

A total mismanagement of the most important part of this team, besides Brees. The offensive line.

It hasn't worked out because he hasn't been developed at the position. He should have spent all of last season as Strief's understudy. This season they should have been rotating snaps in the anticipation of getting Strief less playing time (veteran rest) so he could maintain effectiveness through entire games.

They mis-planned the guard situation. They've been trying to patch it over with Peat.

So instead of learning one position really well, he's been the LT when Armestead is out, then rotated to LG because Lelito wasn't working out, then rotated to RG when they thought Lelito was the lesser of two evils over Kelemete, then played RT when back roster players were in, then moved back to LG, then the coaches realized they were killing their first round pick and definitely placed him as a permanent LG, then three days later changed their minds and said he was going to stay at RG.

Which position will he play next week? I'm willing to bet it's not RG. Heck, I may have gotten the LG/RG swap at the end if my run-on sentence backward. I'm not really sure anymore, and I don't think Peat is either.

This is not correct. This is not an issue of moving him around too much. The problem is that he has not excelled at any spot.

They ignored the Guard situation and the transition for Strief. That was the issue for this year.

They elected to try an experiment with Peat and keepna declining Streif in place. The weak G, unsettled Peat and slowing Strief is going to bring turnovers, sacks and losses this year unless they find a better lineup quick.

Well put.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom