The saints have quietly been rebuilding the team while media says we are in win now mode (1 Viewer)

Agree with everything you said, except the young secondary part. Jack Rabbit and Jenkins are two starters that are not too far from retiring.
Jenkins is here to mentor. We have Lat, Williams and CGJ. All 3 under 25

We are quietly sustaining excellence is what we are doing.

In a similar fashion to the Patriots.

Quietly? I'm pretty sure it's fairly evident this team was rebuilt for a second time under Payton only thing missing is the hand picked QB by Payton to make the rebuild official

If you look at what the saints have done over the past 4/5 years we have slowly built a very you solid team that can win without Brees in the future.

Armstead is now the veteran of the OLine, our Dline is young outside of Jordan who is in his prime. RB and WR are young, secondary is very young and a future QB who is 27 with zero wear and tear. What Loomis and Payton have done under the radar has been brilliant. The only place we real need a young project is TE and LB. we are so deep that it’s actually scary
I think they listened to what I said we needed

I used to think that Payton didn’t want to coach the Saints without Brees.

In a weird way, I thought Payton saw he and Drew’s careers linked to where when Brees retires, Payton would retire as well (or take a coaching hiatus for a few years).

He’d never actually said or alluded to as much — it was just always a hunch I had.

I don’t think that any more. I think Payton is excited to build something that can succeed post-Brees.

I think Payton is happy to have Drew (because who wouldn’t?) but that he’s been building a team that can win differently than we have in the past.

I’m actually really excited for the future post-Brees. Im not in any hurry to get it started (love me some Drew) but I’m not dreading Drew’s retirement like I was the past 5 years.

We are quietly sustaining excellence is what we are doing.

In a similar fashion to the Patriots.
Not just the Patriots, ala the Steelers of the 70's, 49er's of the 80's, Cowboys in the 90's, Patriots 2000 and 2010 we will dominate this decade. Trust me.

Really every year is a rebuilding year. What you are really saying is they drafted well. I think with just an average QB we would be a good team. I think the defense will be one elite once Brees is gone.

Not only that, but they've done it in mind with the salary cap. It's hard to pay a bunch of talented people. But next year we can cut Peat or Warford to save money, and we'll have to let some others walk too. But we're still OK going into the future with the talent that's left and how much we have to pay them.
I believe Warford will be gone this year.

I don't think "win now" vs "build the team" has to be nearly as much one or the other as some make it out. If you keep drafting well, a window may close but you are within striking distance of opening another within a year or two.

the only thing you can't do in the "win now" category is chase every single big name free agent just because you have the cap room. (I'm looking at you Rammit)

Loomis has always been smarter than that. They have very sound off season philosophy and that has kept us in the game.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom