The saints have quietly been rebuilding the team while media says we are in win now mode (1 Viewer)

Krodwhodat

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
If you look at what the saints have done over the past 4/5 years we have slowly built a very young solid team that can win without Brees in the future.

Armstead is now the veteran of the OLine, our Dline is young outside of Jordan who is in his prime. RB and WR are young, secondary is very young and a future QB who is 27 with zero wear and tear. What Loomis and Payton have done under the radar has been brilliant. The only place we real need a young project is TE and LB. we are so deep that it’s actually scary

Last edited:
I totally agree. We are for the most part a young team filled with ascending players. We will still need to get a solid QB when Drew goes, but I trust in Coach Payton to figure out whether it will be a FA like Stafford or a draft selection next year.

If you look at what the saints have done over the past 4/5 years we have slowly built a very you solid team that can win without Brees in the future.

Armstead is now the veteran of the OLine, our Dline is young outside of Jordan who is in his prime. RB and WR are young, secondary is very young and a future QB who is 27 with zero wear and tear. What Loomis and Payton have done under the radar has been brilliant. The only place we real need a young project is TE and LB. we are so deep that it’s actually scary
I agree. The notion that we'll have to bite the bullet and go through a big drought doesn't seem to be the case. Excellent drafts and smarter FA pickups in recent years are the main reasons.

Not only that, but they've done it in mind with the salary cap. It's hard to pay a bunch of talented people. But next year we can cut Peat or Warford to save money, and we'll have to let some others walk too. But we're still OK going into the future with the talent that's left and how much we have to pay them.

I agree but until you successfully replace your franchise QB your ceiling is limited. That's the biggest challenge.

Well I agree. We are building a foundation and it has work for us, minus a few super bowl appearances. We have a roster full of solid to all pro players. Some of you are upset by not getting that flashy players you want but if he can come in and improve our line, doesn't that makes the players around him better? The last flashy player I was so excited was Brandin Cooks. He was a good player for us, but really did he make the others around him better? My feelings were "meh" on this pick but was not a surprise. I am sorry that most of the top college prospects were picked ahead of us, but that's what you get for being the top team in the league. Personally I rather be the bottom of the draft board every year.

We are definitely set up to transition to post Brees. Looking at how Teddy did is all the proof we need. Our O-line aren't just Drew protectors. Most of them are great run blockers. We can lean on the run and solid defense while we groom a new QB regardless if Brees hangs around to coach him up. I even think we are a playoff team with a game manager QB or some journeyman we pick up until we can find that right fit behind center.

We are definitely set up to transition to post Brees. Looking at how Teddy did is all the proof we need. Our O-line aren't just Drew protectors. Most of them are great run blockers. We can lean on the run and solid defense while we groom a new QB regardless if Brees hangs around to coach him up. I even think we are a playoff team with a game manager QB or some journeyman we pick up until we can find that right fit behind center.

The other thing to keep in mind is that we will be a free agent QB's dream location after Brees hangs them up. At that point it will depend on how we feel about what we have in-house versus bringing in someone from outside the organization. I'm hoping we bring in Montez or Fine with a late round pick, so we have a year or two to evaluate them.

Well I agree. We are building a foundation and it has work for us, minus a few super bowl appearances. We have a roster full of solid to all pro players. Some of you are upset by not getting that flashy players you want but if he can come in and improve our line, doesn't that makes the players around him better? The last flashy player I was so excited was Brandin Cooks. He was a good player for us, but really did he make the others around him better? My feelings were "meh" on this pick but was not a surprise. I am sorry that most of the top college prospects were picked ahead of us, but that's what you get for being the top team in the league. Personally I rather be the bottom of the draft board every year.

I agree. I was excited about Cooks as well, and he ended up being all me me me. If you look at our success compared to the teams that take those flashy players year in and year out, we've accomplished more with less at the skill position. Most obvious are Dallas, Oakland (LV) and Cleveland.

We got our #2 WR in Sanders and Harris is emerging and will likely be a solid slot mismatch for us. So thats 3 legit WR, solid TE, 2 solid RBs and we'll see about the fullback. None of it works without blocking.

I agree. I was excited about Cooks as well, and he ended up being all me me me. If you look at our success compared to the teams that take those flashy players year in and year out, we've accomplished more with less at the skill position. Most obvious are Dallas, Oakland (LV) and Cleveland.

We got our #2 WR in Sanders and Harris is emerging and will likely be a solid slot mismatch for us. So thats 3 legit WR, solid TE, 2 solid RBs and we'll see about the fullback. None of it works without blocking.
Great to have depth on the line, in my opinion. This is not to say we don't need to upgrade our other positions. But usually we are so good on 2nd day of the draft. First day is always fun for people, but second day is usually the most important of the draft day. If we get a couple of solid guys today, I say we are successful.

The other thing to keep in mind is that we will be a free agent QB's dream location after Brees hangs them up. At that point it will depend on how we feel about what we have in-house versus bringing in someone from outside the organization. I'm hoping we bring in Montez or Fine with a late round pick, so we have a year or two to evaluate them.

Definitely! A playoff caliber team, excellent protection, Michael Thomas and coach Payton to guide you? Yes please.

One of the things I've been jealous of is the Packers' transition from Favre. The first year without their all time great, they went 11-5. The next year they won the Superbowl. The year after that they went 15-1...

So its not crazy to think we might not skip a beat when Drew retires as valuable as he has been.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom