The Saints in London !! (1 Viewer)

theenglishsaint

Far Away Saint
Reaction score
If anyone needs any tips or advice on coming over here for the game, then please let me know .
I will be in London for most of the week and I hope to organise a couple of functions/get togethers if the interest is there.
Let's try and recreate the spirit of Chicago that was so evident in Harry Caray's Bar.

For reference my email is editor@britishsaints.com

The Green Man event (coordinated by Colchester Gladiators) was a very successful Tailgate Party event put on last year and would presumably do the honours again in 2008. While I was not at the game that year and so not at the Green Man, I know a lot of people who rated it very highly.

Let me know if you'd like to be put in touch with the organisers

Props to you for representing the Saints in England. I know there is a cult following for the NFL over there. Much like there is a cult folloing for EPL here. Are most English NFL fans Cowboys or Niners fans the same way most people here like Mann U and Chelsea? It would be nice to add to our fan base.

Im actually toying with going, seeing as Im from there-and maybe seeing some friends family at the same time.

Props to you for representing the Saints in England. I know there is a cult following for the NFL over there. Much like there is a cult folloing for EPL here. Are most English NFL fans Cowboys or Niners fans the same way most people here like Mann U and Chelsea? It would be nice to add to our fan base.
I've been lurking the NFLUK.com forums since this game was announced and there's a small hard-core group of Saints fans including our own Zorro37 on the board, but just as with any non-native sport in a foreign country it's the winners that get all the fans. I don't blame them because that's what games would be broadcast and who the news would cover.

That said, this should be a great opportunity to gain some new fans. We can only go up in fan support since, apparently, we are one of the least supported teams out of the NFLUK.com membership: http://www.nfluk.com/news-display.php?id=1593

It's an interesting board to read. I saw one thread suggesting that all the "neutrals" get behind the Saints since they are the "home" team. :9:

i am thinking about going to this game...

I'm going to this game even if I have to buy the tickets from the scalpers. Could be fun if we could find somewhere to tailgate

This game lets us showcase beyond our normal fan base. Here's another "plus:"

Most active duty military and retirees know that they can travel Space-available (for peanuts) to the UK. Not too promising for retirees because they have lowest priority (but it's something to think about, anyway). :scratch:

Active duty already in Europe have an excellent shot at getting there (via Space-A) without a problem.

:gosaints:

Thanks for all our troops (Air, Land & Sea) ...who have served, and/or are serving. :9:

Well ive got ride from airport and accomodations sorted out-now i jsut need $800 air fare (and $2000 beer money)

I am so happy that the saints are coming over to the UK.

I read that people were unhappy with loosing a home game (and i would if i lived in America) but i am so happy that the Mighty god like New Orleans Saints are coming over to the UK.

Although i live over 400 miles away from London, and the game is on a Sunday night and i work till 3pm on Sunday and im meant to be in college the next day, i am still hoping to go with my dad.

Is any one else (but from America) that is happy with the Saints coming to the UK?

Lee (Manchester, England)

I think you've pretty much hit the nail on the head. At the moment i believe the Patriots have the biggest following(obviously due to their recent success) traditionally speaking the Cowboys have the biggest support over here, followed by the 49ers, Dolphins and Redskins....main reason for these sides is the NFL's highest peak over here was during the 80's and these sides were obviously the most succesful during that period.

However i think there is becoming a wider diverse audience in the UK due to the coverage we have over here. Pretty much every NFL game is now shown so people could follow the Saints and watch every game they play whereas in the 80's we just saw the 49er's or the Cowboys etc.

Its for this reason i think the Saints are in a win/win situation when they play at Wembley, the press coverage will be huge and there's no doubt the Saints will greatly increase their fan base over(which in the long run will help the club financially).

Of course the biggest winners are the Chargers who find themselves in a similar position but they don't lose the home game and of course the lucky omen that the away team at Wembley wins the Superbowl :worthy:

Last time 500,000 people applied for tickets for the Dolphins/Giants game, it'll be interesting to see how many people apply this time.

I think our football teams have realised the American market has huge potential so Man United, Liverpool, Chelsea etc. play their pre-season games in the US and the crowds are pretty high. Until recently Chelsea were'nt in the same bracket as United but due to their Russian Billionaire owner(and the huge sums of money he's spent) they've become very well known throughout the world. The reason why these clubs will have a cult following is they're constantly shown in the US due to their success.

If anyone needs any tips or advice on coming over here for the game, then please let me know .
I will be in London for most of the week and I hope to organise a couple of functions/get togethers if the interest is there.
Let's try and recreate the spirit of Chicago that was so evident in Harry Caray's Bar.

For reference my email is editor@britishsaints.com

I think this is great idea, would be great to meet saints fans from all over europe and the states and show them some English hospitality. I know I can't wait til we get to see the Saints over here. It'll be great to talk about the saints face to face with some of the guys from the forum rather than like this.

I'm sure too we'll pick up an army of new fans because they will be the focus by the media especially because of Sean Paytons conections with the Leicester Tiger BAFL team that he played for back in his youth. The media will always look for UK connections like they did with Osi for the Giants.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom