The Saints may have to make a tough decision this draft (2 Viewers)

BPA > defense?

You mean like Meachum > than Pozlusky?

If McFadden is there at 10, then the FO better trade down to get TWO defensive playmakers rather than just one at #10.

This team will not be a serious contender...even competitor....until our defense is capable of winning a game when the offense sputters. THAT is reality even if our coach doesn't want to believe it.

Our defense is the laughing stock of the league. Our games are like track meets....we hope the difference between our offense vs their defense is greater than vice versa. It's ludicrous and anyone with experience in the game can clearly see that we are "one defense" short of a Super Bowl.

The quickest way to improve our team is to bring in DEFENSIVE talent...not offensive talent (we already have more than most teams in the league). The only way to establish a punishing, intimidating defense in short order is to DRAFT Best DEFENSIVE Player Available....and do it OFTEN...not just with the 3rd and 4th round picks.

I'm more comfortable with PT at running back and sed ellis or dorsey at DT than with mcfadden at running back and brian young at DT. if the best player available is a qb, would you draft him? even if mcfadden were a better overall player than one of the premier dts (and he's not) you'd still have to take the defensive player because it's what's best for the team.

What happened that made McFadden even a remote possibility of being there at 10?

I have a bad feeling about McFadden. I doubt we will pick him, but if we do, I will just hold my breath and wish for the best. We HAVE to go defense in the first round. If a D pick is a reach, we need to find a willing partner to trade back... That may be hard to do, but, Loomis is good and probably can set up a trade with some people before hand "if X situation happens, we can trade picks with you"

That's how a good GM prepares for the situation. Maybe we just won't find that trade and have to take a player... I hope it's not McFadden. As someone else said, we will have too much money tied up at the RB position then.

The league is starting to put less and less stock in needing a "premium" RB. You see teams all over the league (a la Giants, Packers, Colts) filling the RB position with non-premium players and teams that do sign "premium" RBs having it backfire (a la Cardinals, Seahawks, Saints). There are the abberations, like Adrian Peterson, but this is a general statement of "for the most part."

It seems to be the trend and so far it's not hurting many of those that do it.

Pick Mcfadden In The Ist Round ?

That Would Be Insane. A Repeat Of The Mistakes Made In The Last Two Drafts. Mechum Has Yet To Step On The Field And Reggie Has Failed To Be The Player We Wished For In The 06 Draft. If We Had Addressed Defense In The 1st Round Last Year, We Would Have Made It To Post Season Play. The Free Agent Signings Are A Good Start To Our Recovery But Now We Have To Load Up With Playmakkers On Defense In The Early Rounds Of This Draft. Take The Bap On Defense With The First Pick. If That's A Corner ,great. Take A Lb With The Second Pick, Someone For Morgan To Mentor. We Need Team Speed On Defense Not Another Running Back To Further Complicate The Bush, Mcallister, Thomas Show. Also, Somewhere In This Draft We Need A Te.

You must be crazy are you out of your mind... look what he did agaisnt all the stout defenses he played agaisnt LSU Auburn etc... that is the worst post i have ever seen

Well he only had 80 yards against Miss. State.

Go Dawgs! :worthy:

I'm not sold on McFadden. Would rather get a RB in the later rounds thats a Chain mover. Like the kid from GT.
Back on subject i think we need to take the BPA. And if that means that Mcfad is there then you trade down and recover the Vilma pick plus and start looking at other players.
Once you are out of the "so-called" coveted player area you take the BP no matter what but if some other team is willing to give up better comp then you trade down. You can always trade back up and get another guy on your list.

There are so many equations of how a player works for you and at what round you would take him. And it varies widely from team to team, just as it varies here.

Pd, Mcfadden is maybe the best NFL RB caliber in the draft this season. He looks like Adrian Peterson part deux, thats why you take him. He has too much to him that it would be crazy to pass on him. the Detroit Lions could have taken the guy this past season but didn't and look at what happened to them, still a luckless team without a clue.
If McFadden is not their, Keith rivers or Dorsey would help out fine. I don't mind them at all being on our team, its just McFadden reeks of all-pro honors to me.

I really have the impression with him

If you gave me the choice of Adrian Peterson or Patrick Willis, I'll take Willis in a heartbeat. We need a defensive playmker, a blue chipper who can be a building block

Let's build on the scenario if McFadden's there @ 8.

Trade with Baltimore. Swap #1s/Bush for Hlaato Ngato.

Feasible?

Mikeeeeeee

I see a big DT or maybe Clady. I'd be happy with Felix Jones but not at 10. McFadden at #10, to me, makes as much sense as silver-plating your gold bullion.

With McFadden's character concerns, I wouldn't be surprised if Payton and Co erased him from their draft board. If he's there, I hope we trade the pick or bypass him altogether.

Sorry but McFadden and Ellis will not be there at #10. Rivers I believe will as he is usually ranked in the teens/twenties.

I think that the 2008 NFL Draft for us will be very important in the manner that we will have to make a tough choice on either RB, DT, or a LB. You know who the RB is, its Darren McFadden, the DT is Sedrick Ellis, and the possible LB may be Keith Rivers or even a top notch DE like Howie Long's boy.

Uhhh, we're picking at #10, not #3. Those guys won't be there to choose from

Uhhh, we're picking at #10, not #3. Those guys won't be there to choose from

ther's this kid that played at Notre Dame who has an interesting story to tell about pre-draft projections and... uh well you know.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom