The Saints Must Be Ready For Quick Passes on Sunday (1 Viewer)

tonythesaint

Pro-Bowler
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
San Diego, CA by way of McComb, Mississippi
The Rams will want to get the ball out of Goff's hands quickly and we must play tight bump and run coverage. Please Coach Allen and Coach Payton for once, can we start to cover the TE's and RB's when they release into the route late. If a TE or RB against us, blocks for half a second and then releases into a pass route, there is typically no one within 12 yards of them. The Rams will be content with punting the ball and relying on their defense and our propensity to "shoot ourselves in the foot" by turning the ball over or special team blunders. We must take it to the Rams early and not let them hang around until the 4th quarter because we know what happens to us in tight games. If we are tied or close within the last 3:00 minutes something will go wrong against us, so lets put them away in the first half.

Yeah. That sucks, too. We like to play 10 yards off the WR.

Our defense has been playing much better and this can't be the week that we let up just because we are playing against a rookie QB. We must make Goff hold onto the ball by taking away his first read. Those quick hitch passes to the WRs and RBs is so frustrating when the defense gives them so much cushion. I realize our secondary is very young and still growing, but if this team is going to make any kind of late push this season, I believe it will start with the defense.

Our defense has been playing much better and this can't be the week that we let up just because we are playing against a rookie QB. We must make Goff hold onto the ball by taking away his first read. Those quick hitch passes to the WRs and RBs is so frustrating when the defense gives them so much cushion. I realize our secondary is very young and still growing, but if this team is going to make any kind of late push this season, I believe it will start with the defense.

The DL can help with this, even if Goff does throw quickly. If they can push the pocket, force Goff to shift his eyes, it will help. If they can get their hands up, it usually affects a young QB. They just aren't used to 6'-4" 300lb DL with 25" vertical and arms like vines.

Yeah. That sucks, too. We like to play 10 yards off the WR.
We have better situational awareness on short downs, but on 1st and 10... nothing burns me more than a 7 yard slant route.

We have better situational awareness on short downs, but on 1st and 10... nothing burns me more than a 7 yard slant route.

Nothing burns me more than a 5 yard pass and 2 missed tackles that turn it into 20-30 yard gain.

There's a reason why WE are on a message board talking about this... and Dennis Allen and his staff (who have been flat GETTIN' IT DONE in the last several weeks) are coming up with a game plan that will give us a chance to come away with a "W."

No slam on any WhoDat fan who is concerned. But let's LET our defense show what they have. Saints Defense should have the attitude:

"Is that all you got? I'll take your BEST shot!"

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/P9SpdKt2Sgg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:gosaints:

If my memory serves me right, didn't the Rams run a ton of WR screens and those passes where the QB gets the snap and immediately throws it out wide to the WR at the LOS the last time we played them? It was either the Rams or the Browns, but they did it all game long and the Saints never adjusted to it.

There's a reason why WE are on a message board talking about this... and Dennis Allen and his staff (who have been flat GETTIN' IT DONE in the last several weeks) are coming up with a game plan that will give us a chance to come away with a "W."

No slam on any WhoDat fan who is concerned. But let's LET our defense show what they have. Saints Defense should have the attitude:

"Is that all you got? I'll take your BEST shot!"

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/P9SpdKt2Sgg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:gosaints:

Yay... early 2000s rap/rock!!!

Nothing burns me more than a 5 yard pass and 2 missed tackles that turn it into 20-30 yard gain.

The missed tackles is what concerns me when we play too far off of receivers, and also why we have trouble with obvious screen plays on 3rd and long. I hope as I stated, that this defense continues to improve and Coach Allen exercises our demons with rookie QBs.

Same can be said about how we should approach them offensively

Lots of short quick passes to keep their strongest part of their D at bay.

If my memory serves me right, didn't the Rams run a ton of WR screens and those passes where the QB gets the snap and immediately throws it out wide to the WR at the LOS the last time we played them? It was either the Rams or the Browns, but they did it all game long and the Saints never adjusted to it.

I'm certain this was the Redskins. We played week 1 or 2. The two you mentioned may have also done it, but I know Redskins did it for sure.

Some questioned why I started this thread a few days ago. Well, this is exactly why, Goff has gone to his first read on almost every pass. It is amazing that we deal with this every Rookie QB we face, regardless of the Defensive Coordinator.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom