The Saints organization is best its ever been (1 Viewer)

not trying to be a "downer", but there was a period when we were on shaky ground. No out of towner loves the City , history and Saints more than me

You’re with us in San Antonio, or you’re not with us.”

— Saints owner Tom Benson — allegedly — in a memo to all employees after the Saints had “temporarily” relocated post Katrina to San Antonio. Benson fired Saints vice president Arnold Fielkow for saying he wanted the Saints to stay in New Orleans. Benson was considering a move to San Antonio even before Katrina and tried to use Katrina as the exit launch before NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue blocked him like a real levee — not the New Orleans ones from the Army Corps of Engineers.

this is part of the article that appeared in the Lafayette Daily Advertiser written by Glenn Guilbeau.
personally I will never forget the "Get off my propty" as Tom pushed Tv reporters away.

Same here. I forgave but I NEVER forgot and was always wary of TB. I remember his aledged statement to SA officials. Just be patient

For all of the “young bucks” who know nothing about the “Aints,” count your blessings!

:gosaints:

That's a classic segment. We had a few of those old NFL Films Football Follies VHS tapes. Those were great.

I love seeing the old uniforms and logos from yesteryear. Like the Big Chin Guy and the Saints Shield. That shield logo is one of the most underrated logos in the history of logos.

What are you referring to? The first thing that comes to mind when you say this is Brees vs Rivers, but I’m not sure if that’s the story line you’re referring to or not.
I think the media will bring back up the Catholic Church thing. There will be some “new discovery” and it will get fleshed out. I can’t remember if that story already ran its course or not.

Same here. I forgave but I NEVER forgot and was always wary of TB. I remember his aledged statement to SA officials. Just be patient

He was 100% gone. The autobiography on Benson published before his death was illuminating but not always flattering of his business dealings, but strongly intimated as much.

I definitely think Gayle softened him up in his later years and made a point of restoring the trust and confidence of New Orleans in him and the team (and the team and city are infinitely better for her serving that role ).

Paul Tagliabue’s role in the whole process - in bringing the team home - should never be forgotten either. I sent him an email a while back on his elevation to Canton to congratulate him and thank him for his work in bringing the team back to NOLA and surprisingly received a response which was very kind too. The team owes its continued existence to him as much as anybody, in my opinion.

A lot gets made of Coach-QB pairings in the NFL. But in NO, I really think it's been the GM-Coach-QB trio that's made us relevant year after year. Interested to see if after Brees, we still have that magic. We had a few years of meh-ball, but honestly... if your meh-years are a couple points from a winning g season, man, that's a helluva run. Next year will say a lot. Just hope it's in attempt of a repeat.

He was 100% gone. The autobiography on Benson published before his death was illuminating but not always flattering of his business dealings, but strongly intimated as much.

I definitely think Gayle softened him up in his later years and made a point of restoring the trust and confidence of New Orleans in him and the team (and the team and city are infinitely better for her serving that role ).

Paul Tagliabue’s role in the whole process - in bringing the team home - should never be forgotten either. I sent him an email a while back on his elevation to Canton to congratulate him and thank him for his work in bringing the team back to NOLA and surprisingly received a response which was very kind too. The team owes its continued existence to him as much as anybody, in my opinion.
100% agree. Tags should have a statue around the Dome. Just imagine what we would have missed had TB had his way

Thats what happens when you have a great scouting department headed by Jeff Ireland
Yep, Imo Ireland is the key. He wasn't a great GM in Miami. Modern GM's are more like money managers who know how to
work the cap. Ireland knows how to draft defensive talent and it's showing in spades now.

We can also thank Jerry Jones and Bob McNair. Both didn't want a 3rd team in Texas and fought against it. I do give Tags
credit, but those two added influences helped as well

I think this has been a solid organization since Payton got here. I think the only bad personnel and or teams ideas on the field was when they tried to convert talented but troubled players into the culture and to correct that the team went 7-9 for a couple yrs until that experiment could be purged then we came out with that 06' type draft in 17' with Lattimore, Ram, Thomas, Kamara and Williams and the familiar Payton lead saints took the field again

Without a doubt. This is the Golden Age of the Saints these past 14 years and anyone who tells you otherwise is a moron. Even our 7-9 years from 14 to 16 were better years than most earlier Saints years I mean crap we had the #1 offense those years even losing games we still made them close something the old Saints teams can't say.

So yes you're looking at the best Saints organization in history. Many Saints fans will probably agree that there will not be an era like this again when it is all said and done.

We can also thank Jerry Jones and Bob McNair. Both didn't want a 3rd team in Texas and fought against it. I do give Tags
credit, but those two added influences helped as well
I agree. I think Jones’ impact in our staying in New Orleans could potentially have been significant.

San Antonio is an area that is very important to Jones and the Cowboys brand - and though he claimed in 2005 that he’d welcome a team in San Antonio, he was likely working the phones behind the scenes to do all he could to block that move.

It’s no surprise that he moved Cowboys training camp from Oxnard, California to San Antonio in 2007.I believe he wanted to re-establish the Cowboys presence there following the 2005 flirtations with the Saints.

Again, I don’t recall Jones coming out against the potential move to SA, but it wouldn’t shock me if he did all he could to prevent it.

For all of the “young bucks” who know nothing about the “Aints,” count your blessings!

:gosaints:

I’ve been looking for this video for Archie’s story about the punt returner’s parrot, for the “random Saints facts” thread! Thanks!

100%.
Even the 2009 year was a once in a lifetime type season.
But sustained excellence (yes, love another Super Bowl)....is right now.
47-11 since 2017
Setting records at QB
Coach that rescued us and been here now FIFTEEN SEASONS
One of the league recognized top GMs
Drafting/scouting like absolute beasts.
Super passionate fan bases.
National intrigue......my son is in college in little Milledgeville Ga.....and he’s seen EVERY GAME televised.....(on regularvTV, not NFL ticket)..... and we aren’t even the hometown team.
HOF QB goes out, 6-0 with back up QB.
This is when you are just steamrolling as an organization.
One more Super Bowl to solidify everything.

45-13 regular season since 2017. 47-16 including playoffs. What a run

From owner to gm, scouting, head coach, position coaches and coordinators, qbs, and every conceivable position on the field we have at least average to above average talent and even some elite. Is this the most complete Saints team and organization that weve ever had?
Aside from LB (Dome Patrol) I’d agree.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom