The Saints Unheralded FA Signing U Wanna Know About (1 Viewer)

Guitarzan

Banned
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
(Ryan) Clark, who attended LSU's Pro Day on Wednesday, said the Saints scored a major coup in landing Lewis, whom he play with for the past four seasons in Pittsburgh, and Watson, whom he played against during AFC North games against the Cleveland Browns.

Watson, who caught 49 passes for 501 yards and three touchdowns last season for the Cleveland Browns, is expected to team with Jimmy Graham to form one of the best tight end combinations in the league.

"Benjamin is an exceptional tight end," Clark said. "He blocks, plays extremely hard and catches the ball. If you look at the Cleveland Browns the last few years, he's their best target. He's been their best offensive player -- if you ask me. So they should be excited about what they are getting with Ben. Also, you can team him with Jimmy in two tight end sets and give people nightmare matchups all around the field."

New Orleans Saints have made two nice pickups in free agency, according to Ryan Clark | NOLA.com

I love the defensive signings but wanted to give a bit of praise to the other guy. I feel that Watson is going to be a probowl pick up with Drew as his QB.

Yes, very underrated signing by Payton and Loomis that will add a serious dimension to our team.

Yes, very underrated signing by Payton and Loomis that will add a serious dimension to our team.

I don't think we'll be reporting the eligible tackle as much any more. Ben is an excellent blocker. If his receptions were that good there, imagine how much better they can be with Drew?

I keep forgetting we signed Watson. Very underrated signing that should payoff offensively.

In 2009 we used a lot of two TE ace formations with David Thomas and Shockey. In part because we lost our starting tackle and were forced to play an unknown young player at LT.

Balanced two tight end formations make it harder for a defense to disguise blitzes and coverages. There is no strong or weak side, which affects defensive alignment. It makes it easier to call blitz pickups, critical with new linemen. It also provides both tackles with potential help on the edges, from nothing more than chipping on the way out to their route with the TE (and a Saints speciality that we hear opponents complain about every year), to actually staying in to block.

I think this is why we spent precious FA dollars on Watson. In a way, this signing helps address, or at least minimize, the LT issue.

In 2009 we used a lot of two TE ace formations with David Thomas and Shockey. In part because we lost our starting tackle and were forced to play an unknown young player at LT.

Balanced two tight end formations make it harder for a defense to disguise blitzes and coverages. There is no strong or weak side, which affects defensive alignment. It makes it easier to call blitz pickups, critical with new linemen. It also provides both tackles with potential help on the edges, from nothing more than chipping on the way out to their route with the TE (and a Saints speciality that we hear opponents complain about every year), to actually staying in to block.

I think this is why we spent precious FA dollars on Watson. In a way, this signing helps address, or at least minimize, the LT issue.

My thoughts exactly. We might have a rookie or a relatively inexperienced Brown at LT. That really helps. And if Brown exceeds expectations and becomes a solid addition to the line that's -- uhh -- what's the word--lagniappe :ezbill:

Wow, good post. Never thought about those 2 things. :9:

49 passes for 501 yards and three touchdowns last season for the Cleveland Browns

Very productive for a Brown! I tend to think of him as a blocker, but the stats tell me this guy still has good hands.

Very productive for a Brown! I tend to think of him as a blocker, but the stats tell me this guy still has good hands.

I thought the opposite. I knew he could catch, but didn't realize he could block. We should be fun in the goal-line O this year!

SP is gonna have some fun playcalling this year.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom