Speculation The Saints were apparently this close to signing Tom Brady. (1 Viewer)

longtime lurker

Buddy D lives FOREVER!
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The Saints were apparently this close to signing Tom Brady.

On Monday, the Buccaneers quarterback stunned fans when he dubbed an unnamed QB a “mother-f–ker” while revealing a mystery team passed on him in free agency.

The cryptic comment, which TB12 made in a preview for Friday’s episode of “The Shop” on HBO Max, sparked a search into who and which team Brady was referring to. One insider’s answer came as a shock.

“I’m gonna say it as clear as day: it’s the New Orleans Saints,” NFL reporter Jeff Darlington saidon Tuesday’s episode of ESPN’s “Get Up.”
https://nypost.com/2021/06/22/which-nfl-team-passed-on-tom-brady/amp/

I love Drew, but I said he should have hung up the cleats before last year. It was clear that he didn’t have much “pop” on his throws and he couldn’t push it downfield…..whether it was physically or a confidence thing. With that being said, I’m glad that Drew came back and kept my most hated football player of all time OFF of my favorite team. If this forum wasn’t so family friendly, I’d tee off on TB12.

Last edited:
It’s hard to believe he’d speak about Drew that way….and I posted the link. Here’s to that reporter being wrong.

I think it's extremely unlikely that he was referring to Drew. As competitive as he is, nobody could blame the Saints for going with Drew for as long as Drew wanted to play. And, he and Drew have always had a good relationship from their days training together.

He's the goat but this pattern of everyone is doing him wrong seems worse than Jordan.

Darlington apparently thinks the rest of the world is as stupid as he is. Nobody would be surprised by the best player in a franchise's history coming back. What a stupid comment on his part. "They're going to keep the guy that threw the most yards in NFL history?????" Way to get your name out there Darlington, no bad press, right, dummy?

Also:
“Here’s the deal: [Saints head coach] Sean Payton cannot look back and say, ‘Man, I would have loved to have Tom Brady last year,’ because it would also have meant that they have him for a few more years moving forward. No question in my mind,” Darlington said.

Does anyone know what he is trying to say here? Is English his first language?

I think there are two aspects to the article.

1. The Saints intended to sign TB12, but afforded Drew the luxury of deciding whether to play on or not.

2. Another team - likely the 49ers or the Bears - opted to stick with their incumbent for another season.

It is team #2 that Brady was referring to. Brady plainly isn't disrespecting Drew. And in any case, he's right. What a daft move to stick with Jimmy G or Trubisky/Foles in preference to the GOAT. The Super Bowl win puts that beyond any doubt.

The Brady to New Orleans rumour has been doing the rounds since well before the Bucs won the Super Bowl. It has been repeated by some fairly credible sources. My impression is that it is accurate, and I tend to agree that the 2020 season is a case of what might have been for the Saints.

he knows Drew has done much more with much less
clearly it stings

This myopic view of the Saints and Drew is getting out of hand. Drew has had the best team in the NFL at his disposal since 2017 and we didn't even make one Super Bowl in that entire period. Of course, he is not exclusively to blame for that, but he saved some of his worst games in the black and gold for the playoffs.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom