The Science of Fasting (5 Viewers)

OP
Tapxe
Reaction score
Breaking a fast is a process. You want to do smaller portions, and definitely don't start out with heavy foods, meats and proteins. It will take a day or two for your body to adjust to eating again after fasting 3+ days.
I've broken a 4 day with Popeye's spicy and red beans. Do not recommend.

Madmarsha

Feral housewife
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I think I might have had 50 carbs total yesterday, but havent eaten anything since 5:30 yesterday so far and not hungry at all. For reference I am 6'0 and currently 195.
Except that it was the first time I had sugar in 2 months, yesterday wasn't that bad. Meaning I wasn't out of control and didn't lead me into a "oh, what the heck" attitude today. So I joked about being 1 hour in; but I guess I can say, yeah, it's going great since I haven't eaten. But this morning I was hungry and right now I'm hungry and it's not even a full 24 hours yet. I'm going to learn a lot from this.

Edit: All right, I'm out. Wasn't liking how I was feeling so I had a smoothie. Went about 42 hours but it wasn't "easy" because I was obsessing too much. I want it to be more mindless if I can. So I'll do another next month for Christmas and then see if a monthly long term one seems doable. But I am convinced it's worth it.

Last edited:

mjcouvi

Hi
Reaction score
Before Thanksgiving I told myself, after leftovers are gone I’m going to fast. So I started last night.

My goal is to do 10 days. I’ll drink black coffee, tea, and water with electrolytes, do some light jogging/walking, light weights. I also like the occasional nicotine lozenge to curb appetite and improve alertness/focus. I hope to lose 20 pounds in 10 days.

I’m using the Reddit r/fasting guide https://www.reddit.com/r/fasting/wiki/fasting_in_a_nutshell/you_need_electrolytes/help to help me get about the right amount of electrolytes (sodium/potassium/magnesium). Will also probably take some water soluble vitamins. With that I figure I can keep my energy levels up enough to exercise and really drop the weight.

My previous long fast was 6 days. I regularly do ~24 hr fasts.

CajunInVA

Pro-Bowler
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Did a 21 hour fast today. Wanted to go for 42 hours, but didn't feel right. I haven't been eating well lately and I think the hard switch was a little much for me. Will stick with 16-8 for the next couple of days and go for a 42 hour on Wednesday/Thursday. The longer fasts intrigue me, but I don't quite have what it takes yet to try and pull that off.

Madmarsha

Feral housewife
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Before Thanksgiving I told myself, after leftovers are gone I’m going to fast. So I started last night.

My goal is to do 10 days. I’ll drink black coffee, tea, and water with electrolytes, do some light jogging/walking, light weights. I also like the occasional nicotine lozenge to curb appetite and improve alertness/focus. I hope to lose 20 pounds in 10 days.

I’m using the Reddit r/fasting guide https://www.reddit.com/r/fasting/wiki/fasting_in_a_nutshell/you_need_electrolytes/help to help me get about the right amount of electrolytes (sodium/potassium/magnesium). Will also probably take some water soluble vitamins. With that I figure I can keep my energy levels up enough to exercise and really drop the weight.

My previous long fast was 6 days. I regularly do ~24 hr fasts.
Wow, 10 days. Do multiple 24s help build up to it? I hope to make my 3 days later on; but from what I've been researching based on what I hope to achieve, 72 hours is my outside till I start to get diminishing returns on autophagy. Still I'd love for mutiple days to be as easy as 18 hours is both mentally and physically. At least I already know a fast doesn't make me want to binge and eat ALL the food.

mjcouvi

Hi
Reaction score
Wow, 10 days. Do multiple 24s help build up to it? I hope to make my 3 days later on; but from what I've been researching based on what I hope to achieve, 72 hours is my outside till I start to get diminishing returns on autophagy. Still I'd love for mutiple days to be as easy as 18 hours is both mentally and physically. At least I already know a fast doesn't make me want to binge and eat ALL the food.
It’s purely psychological. I find what helps me more than anything is reading/watching so many examples of people going for 20 days or 40 days or more. Consider something so much more difficult and then half of that doesn’t seem so bad.

SaintInBucLand

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
I have been steady 16-8 now for a month and a half and love the weight loss, just wish I wasn't dealing with long covid crap to enjoy being so healty. I want to give a 48 hour fast a try soon.

By the way, all of my size 36 waist shorts and jeans fall off me without a belt. Need to shop but going to wait because I want to hit my goal weight of 175. 20lbs to go!

SaintInBucLand

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
It’s purely psychological. I find what helps me more than anything is reading/watching so many examples of people going for 20 days or 40 days or more. Consider something so much more difficult and then half of that doesn’t seem so bad.

Been a lot of people profess that 7 day plus fasts can do things like reverse some cancers and heal badly damaged organs like the liver and kidneys. Good luck with it.

mjcouvi

Hi
Reaction score
Been a lot of people profess that 7 day plus fasts can do things like reverse some cancers and heal badly damaged organs like the liver and kidneys. Good luck with it.

Yes, I can always use a good liver renewal. And it is pretty amazing the potential benefits for some cancers. I always figure, who knows, what are the chances I have cancer in my body right now? 1 in 3 men have (diagnosed) cancer in their lifetimes.

The benefit to those things in my body that I don't know about, that I don't know are going wrong, I hope fasting has some healing power there, in addition to the more immediately noticeable physical and mental improvements.

The hardest part for me is dinnertime. I regularly go all day without eating, looking forward to a big meal at night. Just have to keep looking further into the future to how great I'll feel the next morning and how great I'll feel days or a week from now. Just have to keep reminding myself, it's only 10 days.

mjcouvi

Hi
Reaction score
About 40 hrs in now, no problem with physical hunger at all as long as I drink lots of fluids.

Here’s what I’ve started using as my main fasting drink:

1L water
3/4 tsp Morton’s Lite Salt (870mg sodium, 1050mg potassium)
.3 cc pure stevia powder (a pinch)
1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
Squeeze of a bit of lemon or lime juice to taste

Then I take 200mg magnesium glycinate (tablet) twice a day, along with a b-complex.

I have black coffee in the morning, and drink tea and sparkling water throughout the day whenever I feel like it.

Jogged 4.5 miles yesterday. If I’m going to keep up on daily exercise/sweating I’ll probably need to up the sodium a bit. Once in ketosis the body should get all necessary energy from body fat. From my understanding it’s mostly a lack of sodium that can lead to lightheadedness and lack of energy.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom