The Science of Fasting (10 Viewers)

That should work well

While we know autophagy exists and what it does, not much more is known other than that at this point. I think we have all seen where the rate of autophagy peaks after 2 days but not much more so I assumed that it's rate would be constant after that.

I am seeing some research now that says autophagy peaks at 2 days but decreases after that on a fast. Now obviously I don't know if that is a fact, or if it is how rapidly it decreases or even why. For example, maybe it decreased due to a lack of vitamins and minerals which I have supplemented in a non-caloric form.

Regardless, it does cast some doubt on the benefits of long fasting versus intermittent fasting. Since we know for a fact that the benefits of vitamins and minerals from non-caloric forms are questionable at best, is it really a good idea to subject the body to longer fasts instead of intermittent fasting?

I am positive I could eat every other day now which would still give me all the benefits I want (provided I eat healthy) without any risk.

And this study showed that supplementing during a fast may prevent some of the benefits of autophagy. The point seems to be to stress your system.
And if you can supplement to get the benefits, then a long fast is only good for fat loss and not for autophagy since going long periods with no vitamins and minerals is risky

And this study showed that supplementing during a fast may prevent some of the benefits of autophagy. The point seems to be to stress your system.
And if you can supplement to get the benefits, then a long fast is only good for fat loss and not for autophagy since going long periods with no vitamins and minerals is risky

I have actually cut out all supplements. I only get my vitamins and nutrients from food now. As well as getting in the morning sun for at least 30 minutes. Bioavailability is key.

I have actually cut out all supplements. I only get my vitamins and nutrients from food now. As well as getting in the morning sun for at least 30 minutes. Bioavailability is key.
Well I have a supplement that is nothing more than the most nutritious greens (like kelp) freeze dried so it is basically food as it had 40 calories per scoop but I wasn't using it while fasting.

Think I am over the 'long fast' thing now lol

Well I have a supplement that is nothing more than the most nutritious greens (like kelp) freeze dried so it is basically food as it had 40 calories per scoop but I wasn't using it while fasting.

Think I am over the 'long fast' thing now lol

It just never felt good for me longer than 36 hours personally. I really wish they would do more studies on autophagy, but I have a feeling the medical industry wouldn't like all the benefits of it being put out there with lots of data backing it up.

It just never felt good for me longer than 36 hours personally. I really wish they would do more studies on autophagy, but I have a feeling the medical industry wouldn't like all the benefits of it being put out there with lots of data backing it up.
This is something they touch on in the video from the OP. It's done in Europe where the financial incentive for treating ailment exists. Here in the US, there's no money to even study it.

This is something they touch on in the video from the OP. It's done in Europe where the financial incentive for treating ailment exists. Here in the US, there's no money to even study it.
I know there are some(I believe Dutch), researches and scientists doing a lot of work with fasting that is backup by their government. But yeah in the US, we wont see it here, especially if it does things like reverses diabetes or helps to prevent cancer.

So now I am torn. I made a goal to go at least 7 days but a large part of the reason for that goal doesn't seem to exist anymore. I am about 8 hours from completing 6 days

Part of me says fork it and get some berries and soup while another part of me wants to complete the goal just for the sake of completing it

The logical part of me says to stop (especially with taking 90mg of oxycodone and 250mg of tramadol every day) but the part of me that has had to sit by and watch life fork me in the arse over the last few years says to do it...damn the torpedoes full speed ahead

So now I am torn. I made a goal to go at least 7 days but a large part of the reason for that goal doesn't seem to exist anymore. I am about 8 hours from completing 6 days

Part of me says fork it and get some berries and soup while another part of me wants to complete the goal just for the sake of completing it

The logical part of me says to stop (especially with taking 90mg of oxycodone and 250mg of tramadol every day) but the part of me that has had to sit by and watch life fork me in the arse over the last few years says to do it...damn the torpedoes full speed ahead
It's hard to make it to this point, but you have and your goal is within reach. Now the meds thing I don't have to deal with, so you have to be the judge for your own safety. But if you're looking for encouragement - damn the torpedos!

Last edited:

If you can, just do it. It's great to know you've mastered it, though, either way.

I decided this weekend that at some point in the next few weeks I want to do a 100 hr fast, just so I can say I made triple digits. After that I’m going back to max 36 hours.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom