The Science of Fasting (3 Viewers)

I ended my fast last night after 72 hours. I feel good, ate a reasonable portion (always been a problem for me) and have started a new fast where I hope to reach 7 days. I found out that I have been sabotaging myself and possibly preventing autophagy. I was drinking a bang drink some mornings, while it has zero carbs and sugars so I stay in ketosis, the BCAAs that I was drinking it for may have been preventing me from going into autophagy, so this time around no Bangs.
Bang drink? BCAAs?

So I thought I'd go to the source and find out what Dr. Yoshinori Ohsumi was saying, the dude who won the Nobel Prize for his work on autophagy. Turns out there's a very good reason there's not a lot of video out there. Dude is really hard to understand.

I'm a week now into carnivore. I had been keto for the last couple months but now solidly on carnivore and trimming more weight. I actually went back to 2 meals a day(one at 11-12, the other around 4-5). I IF on a 18-6 window and it seems to be best for me. Even stopped cooking with olive oil and switched to ghee and tallow.
I love ghee and I'm glad it's now widely available, but man, I thought EVOO was expensive and I just don't have the patience to make my own. I did save my rendered duck fat, though.

Bang drink? BCAAs?

So I thought I'd go to the source and find out what Dr. Yoshinori Ohsumi was saying, the dude who won the Nobel Prize for his work on autophagy. Turns out there's a very good reason there's not a lot of video out there. Dude is really hard to understand.
Branch Chained amino acids. It wasn't something from your video specifically, but your video led me down a rabbit hole. Since my body now has these AAs available it reduces autophagy.

Branch Chained amino acids. It wasn't something from your video specifically, but your video led me down a rabbit hole. Since my body now has these AAs available it reduces autophagy.
Oh, gotcha. Yeah, it's confusing. Like I thought MCT oil was okay but apparently, no, that breaks a fast. So now I just stick to water and black coffee now that I've finally learned how because even cream technically breaks a fast.

I've been following along in this thread lately and started doing short fasts the last few weeks. Noticing real beneficial results! I don't do anything crazy, just 28-32 bursts a few times a week and pretty much radically altering my diet/portions. That coupled with putting a pause on alcohol has made me feel a lot better, esp as I have struggled a bit overcoming some long covid type issues.

Just thought I'd share, and your stories did provide a lot of valuable insights!

I am basically just eating every other day and have barely touched alcohol since mid-November. It's basically giving me a constant rotating 43 hour fast

I did omad for roughly a week, and it wasn't bad, but some days I just want to be able to eat again in my 4-6 hour window. But it really wasn't that hard. But then again I have shifted to carnivore and meals are a lot more satiating now and I don't really feel hunger pains at all anymore.

My main reasoning for going carnivore is to see if my body doesn't do well with lectins or oxalates, and carnivore is the best elimination diet.

I did omad for roughly a week, and it wasn't bad, but some days I just want to be able to eat again in my 4-6 hour window. But it really wasn't that hard. But then again I have shifted to carnivore and meals are a lot more satiating now and I don't really feel hunger pains at all anymore.

My main reasoning for going carnivore is to see if my body doesn't do well with lectins or oxalates, and carnivore is the best elimination diet.
Keep us posted. I'm pretty curious about this type of diet/fast.

Keep us posted. I'm pretty curious about this type of diet/fast.
I'm actually just doing one meal today and ate about an hour and a half ago. I fried up some organic bacon, then 2 two pounds of grass fed/finished ground beef in the bacon grease with 8oz of minced up liver. About 80% the way cooked I cracked in 4 eggs. (The extra should last me 2-3 days). I did drizzle a little bit of local honey over it as well.

I'm actually just doing one meal today and ate about an hour and a half ago. I fried up some organic bacon, then 2 two pounds of grass fed/finished ground beef in the bacon grease with 8oz of minced up liver. About 80% the way cooked I cracked in 4 eggs. (The extra should last me 2-3 days). I did drizzle a little bit of local honey over it as well.
Lol, I'd totally do that. I've always been a bit of a carnivore eater. But we often do a bit of everything so buying a lot of meats isn't always budget friendly.

Lol, I'd totally do that. I've always been a bit of a carnivore eater. But we often do a bit of everything so buying a lot of meats isn't always budget friendly.

Yeah, the thing I can say is try to find a local butcher who always tend to be cheaper than your Whole Foods or other higher priced markets that carry organic meats. A lot of times local butchers will be sourced from smaller farms too and are very reasonable on their prices. Especially if you buy in bulk. Also you can ask them to grind in organ meats for your ground beef which is an amazing source of nutrients if you are going the carnivore route.

Yeah, the thing I can say is try to find a local butcher who always tend to be cheaper than your Whole Foods or other higher priced markets that carry organic meats. A lot of times local butchers will be sourced from smaller farms too and are very reasonable on their prices. Especially if you buy in bulk. Also you can ask them to grind in organ meats for your ground beef which is an amazing source of nutrients if you are going the carnivore route.
Interesting. I wouldn't know where to find one here considering we live in metro DC. One of the things I miss about Lafayette is there were lots of food options there. Here, it sucks and everything is expensive.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom