The Science of Fasting (13 Viewers)

Interesting. I wouldn't know where to find one here considering we live in metro DC. One of the things I miss about Lafayette is there were lots of food options there. Here, it sucks and everything is expensive.
When I was doing post graduate work in DC I actually stayed in Fredericksburg, I know there are a couple great butchers there that you can call and plan out a trip. Probably your best bet if you want to make a trip of it if you have the room in your freezer.

https://oldetownebutcher.com/ Is a great butcher and they are in the heart of historic Fredericksburg.

When I was doing post graduate work in DC I actually stayed in Fredericksburg, I know there are a couple great butchers there that you can call and plan out a trip. Probably your best bet if you want to make a trip of it if you have the room in your freezer.

https://oldetownebutcher.com/ Is a great butcher and they are in the heart of historic Fredericksburg.
I'll definitely look into that. Thanks!

Yeah, the thing I can say is try to find a local butcher who always tend to be cheaper than your Whole Foods or other higher priced markets that carry organic meats. A lot of times local butchers will be sourced from smaller farms too and are very reasonable on their prices. Especially if you buy in bulk. Also you can ask them to grind in organ meats for your ground beef which is an amazing source of nutrients if you are going the carnivore route.
I've not tried them but hear really good things about Cutrer's in Kentwood. They deliver to BR farmers mkt a couple times a week so it's not too difficult, I just don't find myself eating enough meat to justify atm.

You gonna try to go 30 OMAD or already doing it? Sounds like it might help you with getting past 24 hr's.
Yep. I still think the 24 plus is never going to be "easy" for me, though.

I am at 24 hrs right now and going to go until tmrw morning. I really think I am ready to stretch it to the 2-3 day mark...Apologies if this has been covered already, but what sort of measures (products) should be taken (vitamins/minerals?) to do this as safely as possible...

I am at 24 hrs right now and going to go until tmrw morning. I really think I am ready to stretch it to the 2-3 day mark...Apologies if this has been covered already, but what sort of measures (products) should be taken (vitamins/minerals?) to do this as safely as possible...
If you're going more than 36 hours then I suggest some iodized salt with water a couple times a day I do about 1/5 of a teaspoon. As well as some magnesium and some K2. Try to get your Vitamin D from 30 minutes in the sun a day, it's the best and most bioavaible method. That's really about it, don't really try to take a lot of other antioxidants because your body is doing that on its own with the fasting and autophagy, let it do its thing. If you do go more than 36 hours, make sure you eat light with your first meal, an egg or two, some bone broth is good too. Then eat a little more about 2 hours later.

This is a long watch but really important and is quite messed up how much those who proclaim to be looking out for our health are not going with the science when the numbers don't say what they want it to.

Well, I was able to extend it past the 24 hr mark and take it to 34 hours--despite the temptation of being at a well stocked bday party. Had a couple eggs and a couple boiled shrimp for dinner. I really was not even hungry...I prob should have just extended it, ugh!

I think I am going to go 1 meal a day next 2 days and then go for the full 3 days.

Well, I was able to extend it past the 24 hr mark and take it to 34 hours--despite the temptation of being at a well stocked bday party. Had a couple eggs and a couple boiled shrimp for dinner. I really was not even hungry...I prob should have just extended it, ugh!

I think I am going to go 1 meal a day next 2 days and then go for the full 3 days.
Believe it or not, if you weren't feeling hungry that is a good thing, it means your body is fat adapted meaning it is burning fat for fuel instead of looking for sugars to burn. Welcome to ketosis from fasting.

New experiment today and my god it is amazing.

Honey-butter glazed salmon in bacon grease.

Use a table spoon of Ghee Butter and start off with your pan by frying up a pack of bacon. While cooking the bacon, get your salmon filets ready by dusting with some salt and garlic powder. Then drizzle honey over each of the filets and let sit while you cook the rest of the bacon. Add a stick up butter to the hot bacon grease then place your filets in pan to fry once the butter has melted into the bacon grease. Add another 2-3 tablespoons of honey as needed and spoon the mixture over filets as they fry and after turning. I cooked 2-3 minutes each side. Best tasting salmon I have ever made.

I made 24 hours twice over the holiday weekend. It wasn't hunger that got me, just lack of self restraint while watching football at a buddies house. I ate dinner last night with the family, hoping to try and hit a 3 day or longer fast this week.

Had some buffalo cauliflower for dinner last night and some low carb sugar free cookies, then 3 egg whites and 4 pieces of maple turkey bacon this morning. I am gearing up to take it to FRI night--if I am able. Pretty pumped, hope I can do it...was pretty hard watching my wife and daughter have a yummy dinner tonight and my stomach was letting me know.
You folks here have inspired me though!

Had some buffalo cauliflower for dinner last night and some low carb sugar free cookies, then 3 egg whites and 4 pieces of maple turkey bacon this morning. I am gearing up to take it to FRI night--if I am able. Pretty pumped, hope I can do it...was pretty hard watching my wife and daughter have a yummy dinner tonight and my stomach was letting me know.
You folks here have inspired me though!

The yolk is fine for you, don't believe the LDL is bad cholesterol mantra. Same thing with normal bacon, just get humanely raised bacon.

Have to watch out for studies like this. On the surface it appears they showing that a diet high in dietary fat cases risk markers for cardiometabolic risk factors and gut inflammation. But if you look in the study, the main source of fat used in the study was from Soybean Oil, not animal fats.

The three diets were isocaloric, the primary distinguishing feature being their fat and carbohydrate content. We achieved the required macronutrient distribution in the three diet groups by replacing a proportion of energy derived from carbohydrate (mainly white rice and wheat flour, the most consumed carbohydrate sources in Asia) with fats (mainly soybean oil, the most widely used edible oil in Asia).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom