The Science of Fasting (2 Viewers)

Reaction score
Happened upon this documentary and have worked my way up to being able to fast for 2-3 days out of the week. Initially, it was difficult to get past those 'hunger pangs', but that gets easier as you learn to just fill yourself with water until they go away.

I do see the higher energy, better mood, and managed to drop 4 lb's over the holidays. I'd definitely recommend the show and the fasting. Especially to anyone who needs chemo.

I read that some people don't eat a couple days of the week, and some people will only eat in an 8 hour window each day. I guess you did the skip 2 days a week thing?

Did you try the other way also?

I read that some people don't eat a couple days of the week, and some people will only eat in an 8 hour window each day. I guess you did the skip 2 days a week thing?

Yes, I started out with reducing my eating window to 8 hrs 3 days a week. The general theory there being that you stay in ketosis longer each day. I then went to fasting 2 non-consecutive days a week (Tues/Thur). At that point is when I happened upon that documentary, so I decided to switch it up from intermittent to consecutive days for the fasting.

So far it's working well because rather than facing the hunger pangs twice it's just once and then they are over. I've noticed another beneficial side effect is that my cravings for sweets have all but disappeared.

However, I've just learned the hard way that a large meal like we'd normally eat coming off of the fast is a bad idea. My gastro issues which were much akin to chronic irritable bowel syndrome have disappeared other than when I eat stupid.

I keep cashews, almonds, pecans, peanuts, and lunch meats around for breaking the fast. I plan to expand that to broths and raw fruits and veggies as well.

Couple of the links I was looking at for info...

https://fastblast.com/research/

http://www.allaboutfasting.com/how-long-should-you-fast.html

After reading this I am going to start fasting as well. Ill watch the show tonight.

I have a friend of mine who lost 100lbs and kicked diabetes fasting. guy was over 300lbs at one point and took control of his life. His doctor and his friends got worried about him because he got skinny so quick. He did become a little preachy about sugar.
understandable because of the lifestyle change. Kinda like if you quit smoking crack you're most likely to tell people " yeah that crack is bad for you." lol.

I watched half of that Doc. I really was expecting more relevant info than what was in the first half; did it get better after all the stuff about the Russian studies?

I read up on the 6-8 hour window and I def will try this at some point. I can imagine that only about 2 or 3 hours of this would be hard for me. I can cut off eating and skip breakfast. But does it have to be strict for the energy benefits? I am mostly concerned with the no coffee aspect lol

It gets a bit deeper into the effects seen on cells and a little preachy about the US reluctance to embrace it due to pharma. I enjoyed the Russian/German research discovery and maybe was more interested just because I'd started down the fasting path prior to finding it.

I thought it was pretty amazing that healthy cells seem to protect themselves while cancerous ones do not. IIRC, it also delves a bit into how we are basically overworking our systems by eating meals as big as we do. This in turn hampers the bodies normal ability to fight disease and rid itself of toxins. But that might have been other research I read.

I didn't see any energy benefits from the intermittent fasting. I think coffee is fine as long as you don't use sugar and cream. Still, a little of that won't be as bad as constant guzzling.

here is the article I read in the paper late last year that got me interested in intermittent fasting.

And fasting is not just for shedding extra pounds - and it's not about being "skinny." Intermittent fasting is a low-risk, low-cost protocol with plenty of potential advantages. Here are 13 reported benefits of intermittent fasting and reasons to consider taking the #NOLAFastFor30 challenge:

Enhanced prevention of Alzheimer's Disease
Reduced risk of type 2 diabetes
Lower risk of cancer/slowed growth of tumor cells
Improved mental clarity and concentration
Improved energy
Decreased inflammation
Improved blood sugar and insulin levels
Improved cholesterol levels
Lower blood pressure
Body fat loss
Improved appetite control
Increased metabolic rate - reportedly as much as 10% higher
Increased growth hormone

I didn't see any energy benefits from the intermittent fasting. I think coffee is fine as long as you don't use sugar and cream. Still, a little of that won't be as bad as constant guzzling.

I drink it black anyway. I definitely want to do this. I had lost about 25 pounds before Thanksgiving and got derailed by the bird and all his friends. Gonna shed the extra the same way I did because it is easy for me but I want to do this just to see whats up and see that I can. Really my biggest obstacle is the late night eating.

I do the 8 hours a day eating window. I have lost 45 pounds since May. That is without being 100% dedicated to the gym and only going in spurts(typically 3 days a week). That is mostly from changing my diet from fast food every meal and using the 8 hour eating window. Now I do good during the weekdays, but when it comes to the weekend I set myself back almost every weekend some way shape or form... but 270 to 225... and still rolling. I'd probably be a lot further along if not for ******* myself every weekend, but I am not trying to go over board and ruin the overall lifestyle change by completely restricting myself from the good ****... I'm sure the skip a day fasting works as well as I am pretty meticulous with weighing myself just to see how my body is retaining water and eliminating waste.

I do the 8 hours a day eating window. I have lost 45 pounds since May. That is without being 100% dedicated to the gym and only going in spurts(typically 3 days a week). That is mostly from changing my diet from fast food every meal and using the 8 hour eating window. Now I do good during the weekdays, but when it comes to the weekend I set myself back almost every weekend some way shape or form... but 270 to 225... and still rolling. I'd probably be a lot further along if not for ******* myself every weekend, but I am not trying to go over board and ruin the overall lifestyle change by completely restricting myself from the good ****... I'm sure the skip a day fasting works as well as I am pretty meticulous with weighing myself just to see how my body is retaining water and eliminating waste.

what kind of calories/meals do you eat for those 8 hours?

and how's this work if you run? for example, if i changed to eat from 11a-7p, but ran at 530 for 5 miles. i'd come home ready to eat. what amount of calories do you consume then? and is it just like 2 meals in those 8 hours? or 2 meals and a snack? or however you hit a certain amount of calories?

it sounds interesting, my buddy does it for working out, he eats around 2000 calories (i believe) from 12-8 and said he feels a ton better since he stopped eating every 2.5-3 hours like the old school body building routine.

Im typically eating 1200 to 2000 calories. Occasionally more than that(im looking at you weekends), I find this tends to help break your body out of a plateau period. I eat whatever the hell I want, so long as I keep the portions in check. I usually stick to two meals and a snack. My window for a while was 11 to 7, currently it is probably 1pm to 9pm. I don't usually eat after I go run, I eat before cause otherwise I would be pushing my window to 9 or 10 hours. I am pretty sure the best time to exercise is right when you wake up, but I haven't been able to get myself to go to sleep at a decent hour, ever. I don't follow any real science based diet though, I just go with the flow. I'm sure if I really got into the do's and don'ts about when to eat during the circadian rhythm and exercise, I'd be dead sexy by now....

Hunger/Cravings are easy to manage now.

After reading this I am going to start fasting as well. Ill watch the show tonight.

Okay I am a week into fasting 18 hours every day. Every day I only eat in an 8 hour window from 4pm-12A and most days I try to keep it in a 4 hour window 6-10pm.

I do feel like I have more energy and I have not weighed myself since I started but someone today told me I look like Ive lost weight.

I drink coffee and water in the morning and it curbs any hunger pains.

Im probably drinking a cup of black coffee per hour from 8 AM - 1 PM.

I started at 216 pounds. I'll try to remember to weigh again and see how I am doing.

I plan to also limit my meat intake to under 8 ounces per day, and limit red meat to 3 servings a week.

Okay I am a week into fasting 18 hours every day. Every day I only eat in an 8 hour window from 4pm-12A and most days I try to keep it in a 4 hour window 6-10pm.

I do feel like I have more energy and I have not weighed myself since I started but someone today told me I look like Ive lost weight.

I drink coffee and water in the morning and it curbs any hunger pains.

Im probably drinking a cup of black coffee per hour from 8 AM - 1 PM.

I started at 216 pounds. I'll try to remember to weigh again and see how I am doing.

I plan to also limit my meat intake to under 8 ounces per day, and limit red meat to 3 servings a week.

What are you eating for your meals during that period?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom