The Science of Fasting (3 Viewers)

Yes I only sleep 4 or 5 hours while fasting.

Hmmm, I don't sleep at all the second day. Finally ate last night just because I didn't want to take another sick day because I couldn't sleep.

Dropped 8#'s over the 3 days. The belt is now down to the final hole which was the goal.

Its rare that I dont sleep at all, but it has happened. I've attributed it to my ADHD, maybe it is the fasting. I dont feel mentally fatigued when I am going on low sleep while fasting. I also drink alcohol shortly after dinner more nights than not, which helps with the insomnia, (but not the weight loss)

Maybe I'll try taking my benzo. It really helps me sleep, but I have to be very careful as it makes me pretty drowsy the next day. Possibly the two things will cancel out and my Dr. said he'd rather prescribe me that since I won't drink at all if I take one.

I've found lately that alcohol makes me not able to sleep well. I'll usually only get 2-3 hrs after a night drinking.

I've found lately that alcohol makes me not able to sleep well. I'll usually only get 2-3 hrs after a night drinking.

This is normal. Wake up dehydrated and ready to party again at 530 AM.

I used to do sunrise to sunset fasts all the time but going to the gym early enough to eat before the sun came up was a pain. Also, I’m so lame I did the fasts mostly during the late fall/winter/early spring when the days were shortest :hihi:

With 2 children in the house and a daunting work/home schedule I wind up eating 5-6 small meals a day. Portion control and limiting snacks are my greatest allies

I made it 6 days a couple weeks ago. I drank black coffee, tea, some bone broth, and took some fish oil and a couple other supplements, so it wasn't a complete water fast, but I lost about 13 pounds.

Right after my fast I went to a bit of a family reunion which involved lots of cookies. The only way I keep myself eating right is to not have bad stuff around and I couldn't help the bad stuff around while I was visiting. And I'm a cookie monster.

I haven't had the nerve to weigh myself since I've been back, sure I've gained the majority of it back. I'm going to attempt another fast soon to get back on track.

And, btw, I really had no issues with hunger during my fast. Physically I could have easily gone much longer.

Between jogging and walking I went about 35 miles during the fast. I did some light lifting too and didn't find that my strength deteriorated at all.

The challenge is pretty much all psychological because eating is just enjoyable.

i need to try this again. i tried it about 2 months ago when i read the thread and things happened here and there that always threw off my fast so i wasnt dedicated. gonna try again.

I'm at 70 hrs water/coffee only fast right now. Down 6#'s at the moment. I don't think my breath smells, but my mouth definitely feels like I need to brush my teeth constantly.

Does anyone else get insomnia when they start a fast?

I remember brushing my teeth was awesome. Toothpaste tasted like candy after being on just water.

And, btw, I really had no issues with hunger during my fast. Physically I could have easily gone much longer.

Between jogging and walking I went about 35 miles during the fast. I did some light lifting too and didn't find that my strength deteriorated at all.

The challenge is pretty much all psychological because eating is just enjoyable.

Good job. I'm trying to work up the gumption to attack a 5-7 day fast. I went 3 days at the beginning of lent.

Down 55lbs.
I finally made it to 60. I had plateaued then gained b/w 5 to 10 lbs and hovered around this for a couple weeks by not being strict with my fasting. Best part of fasting is everyday is cheat day... just don't over eat.

I have finally gotten around to trying this. Im doing 18/6. On day 2 and not finding it difficult so far. Im off work though so we will see what happens when I add daily stress back in.

I’m doing from between 6 and 7 PM to 9:30 AM while I’m at work. So only about 15 hours. But I find I can easily go until between noon and 1:00 PM when I’m not at work. So, yeah, stress is a thing.

I've stalled out at 180#. Still want to lose another 15-20, but haven't had the desire to do an extended fast. At least I've got my routine set so I am not gaining anymore which is equally important to me.

Maybe this weekend I'll buckle down and do a 3 day.

One idea is to slowly increase your calories for daily maintenance until your body can adjust to this new total, then start a deficit again.

I am combing this with about 800 to 1000 calories a day cardio. I would imagine that the weight will come off faster even than I am shooting for since I can lose a couple a week with the cardio and no diet changes. But weight loss is not the primary reason I want to do it. Once I lose about 14 I will have to address how to "maintain" and not yoyo. This is a much harder idea for me than weight loss.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom