The Science of Fasting (2 Viewers)

Been reading about the cardio - cortisol connection and how excessive cardio can trigger a body to enter a stress zone that actually causes loss of muscle instead of fat.
Cardio & Cortisol

that is interesting. I have not experienced the chills or cold symptoms mentioned but I am cutting it back anyway. The only drawback is the cardio makes me feel good so its hard for me to make my self miss it.

that is interesting. I have not experienced the chills or cold symptoms mentioned but I am cutting it back anyway. The only drawback is the cardio makes me feel good so its hard for me to make my self miss it.
1 Minute of All-Out Exercise May Have Benefits of 45 Minutes of Moderate Exertion

I don't know it's impact on cortisol or if that's even been studied. Whether or not you'd feel as well after is also at question. However, if you just took that cardio time to go for a walk in the woods that is shown to be a mood boost. Could cut back to 1 min full go for the physical benefits and some nice nature strolls with minimal impact to see if that works for ya.

Down another 10 pounds from even what I thought was my goal weight. Didn’t really want to but I do like extremes in everything I do. Who knew there was a six pack under there. I do have to figure out how to put it back on in moderation but I def consider this a lifestyle change more than diet at this point. I have bumped it to 22 hour fasts which is oddly easier than 18. I think because I don’t eat after 2 on those days I don’t wake up hungry on the next day

I came across this thread somewhere around the end of July. I had tried IF (the 16:8 variety) in the past but had very little success. I lost very little weight and trying to get the last meal in everyday proved to be difficult so I gave up. After reading the thread I decided to give the 24 hr fasting a try. When I started this I was around 205lbs. After about 10 weeks I am down to 183lbs. I know that that may seem like a lot of weight in a short period of time. The weight loss occurred quickly at first, but has slowed down to about a pound a week now. I don't think I look any different but people that have not seen me in a few months notice a difference. Pants that I avoided wearing because they were too tight now have to be worn with a belt.

Initially, the fasting was difficult. The hunger pangs were intense and it was struggle to make it through the 24. Now, I rarely even feel hungry. In fact, I can push it way past 24 hours now. I sometimes do what I call a modified 48 hr fast. I go the first 24 without eating anything and the next 24 restricting myself to less than 500 calories and no carbohydrates.

This whole experience has made me more aware of my eating habits. I love potatoes, pasta and bread. They are easy foods to make, real accessible, and were a staple of my diet. I do still eat those things, but not to the extent I did in the past. I work night shift and in the past I always had chips, crackers, cookies with me to help me get through the night. Now, I carry a bag of almonds, a pack of sliced cheese, and tuna fish with me at all times. I do not consider this a diet. This is a lifestyle modification. Its just what I do. And when people ask me how I lost the weight, I just tell them I stopped eating.

I wanted to share my experience and thank you guys for starting this thread. I have been telling myself for years that I needed to do something about my weight and just never did. Now I am on the path to a healthier lifestyle.

Glad this is working for y’all.

I’m down from 243 to 218, and I’ve done nothing but get sick. ?
Always accentuate the positive. I am a weightlifter and have lost that ability, I play football and have lost that as well. I’ve been reduced to being sedentary for 6 months and am still losing weight.

My wife tells me the other day:
“Hunny, I’ve never seen your arms so little.” Lol. I am built (normally) like a Linebacker six pack and all, and look like Channing Tatum so I’ve been told. And Val Kilmer from Top Gun.
I digress.

Well, guys, if you wanna lose weight and can’t move around, just get sick. ?

I'm on my second fast. Ash Wednesday / lent was the other time I tried it. I've been wanting to do another but couldn't muster up the courage and/or will power. Recently my weight has been creeping up because I've been in a slack eating pattern. Too many carbs, burgers & fries, etc. Tuesday morning the scale showed another increase that made me resort to a second fast. I'm going in the wrong direction with the dreaded holidays on the horizon. So, it officially started Monday evening - last meal at 7 pm. My first fast I went 73 hours. As I send this I'm about 88 hours into this one (fourth day) - uncharted waters for me. Just water and a couple of green teas a day with a stevia packet. Down 7 pounds from the Tuesday morning scare. About three pounds below my target weight, which I'm now adjusting to be 5 pounds even less. So, two pounds to go. After I break the fast, I can get back on a more sensible diet without so many carbs and sugars.

I've always wanted to go a on a week fast. I don't know if I can make it. That would mean going through the game this weekend into Monday night. I don't want to pass out yelling at the game. ;) And I'm watching carefully for adverse reactions. So far, it's all good. Just have to keep mustering the willpower.

Today, I feel that phase of clarity and relaxation. Expat, I can't thank you enough for sharing this thread and that fasting documentary. It's runs counter to a lot of conventional thinking but it makes sense and works. Well, lunchtime is coming up. Fingers crossed.

I'd been edging up as well. Was up about 15 from my low. Decided to fix that and went to only eating a moderate lunch every other day and skipping most meals on weekends.

After 1 week down 10#. I think my biggest mistake was to drink beer and have Popeye's before the Saints started their winning streak. I know it's unconnected, but my superstition won't let me not keep that routine.

It wasn't easy but I did it! Seven days + 2hours. I broke my fast last night. Hardest times were going to the Cajuns game on Saturday and the Saints game on Sunday. The end of the fast weighing was a loss of 12 pounds. That won't keep, of course, but I have a better base weight going into the holidays. I don't see myself doing that again, but I may try some modified, less strenuous, fasts in the future.

I'm doing a modified fast for Thanksgiving. I can have as much Turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, and pumpkin pie as I'd like. But aside from that, nothing.

It wasn't easy but I did it! Seven days + 2hours. I broke my fast last night. Hardest times were going to the Cajuns game on Saturday and the Saints game on Sunday. The end of the fast weighing was a loss of 12 pounds. That won't keep, of course, but I have a better base weight going into the holidays. I don't see myself doing that again, but I may try some modified, less strenuous, fasts in the future.

You might want to consider intermittent fasting, just reducing your eating window each day. Lots of people do OMAD (one meal a day) or TMAD (two meals a day) and by having the tightened window (4 - 6 hours), it makes it easier to restrict calories. It's much more sustainable than extended fasting. And now that you're likely in ketosis, it should be easier as well.

Keeping it off has always been my problem. I lost 60 lbs a few years ago and put it all back on. I can lose chunks but it comes back

Keeping it off has always been my problem. I lost 60 lbs a few years ago and put it all back on. I can lose chunks but it comes back
Sounds like you just need to fast more regularly in order to reduce your overall intake. The OMAD or TMAD options even if just a few days a week might work for you.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom