The Science of Fasting (1 Viewer)

not on your guys' level. started monday. did an 18 hour fast, tues-thurs did a 16 hour. basically just not eating after 7pm on the 16 hour days and eating lunch about 1130 the next day. hasnt been bad. havent counted calories or anything. need to get on the scale at some point. scary thought

Dec 18 - 195#.
Jan 29 - 165#.

Is it cheating when you go a month with a undiagnosed broken jaw and then get wired shut tho? Asking for a friend.

not unless if you can’t keep it off. The how is not as important as the long term success. Unfortunately that’s the bigger struggle for me but I’m on my way back.

I'm here because I need to get back to fasting, especially after reading the Subway thread and all the new "fake meat" offerings proliferating these days. Apparently, the only way I'm going to be sure I'm not eating something I don't want to be eating is to fast.

I'm here because I need to get back to fasting, especially after reading the Subway thread and all the new "fake meat" offerings proliferating these days. Apparently, the only way I'm going to be sure I'm not eating something I don't want to be eating is to fast.
I've been going with these.

Used to try and mix myself, but too much trouble when a serving is 3.00 to 3.50. I'd typically blow 4 times that on a single lunch pre-pandemic so still saving money. I'm currently at 800-1200 cals a day.

ETA: I have them all within my fasting window.

I've been going with these.

Used to try and mix myself, but too much trouble when a serving is 3.00 to 3.50. I'd typically blow 4 times that on a single lunch pre-pandemic so still saving money. I'm currently at 800-1200 cals a day.

ETA: I have them all within my fasting window.
I couldn't possibly. I like meat. Real meat. (and not "people" meat). I'm not looking for an alternative.

Dec 18 - 195#.
Jan 29 - 165#.

Is it cheating when you go a month with a undiagnosed broken jaw and then get wired shut tho? Asking for a friend.
I've been sliding on my diet. Weight has gradually crept up. I was going to start a fast on Ash Wednesday, but Tuesday morning I stepped on the bathroom scale and my weight crept more than I thought. I want to get down to your Jan 29 weight or lower and maintain it. But it seems like my body wants to hang out around 170-172 when I'm eating reasonably. Tuesday morning I was 177+ so I started a new fast that day. Last meal was Monday evening. I'll see how long I can push this one and then for lent I'm going to try to do a no carb/sugar regime. He says.

On a side note, I have mixed feelings about our beloved OP, Tapxe. I'm so grateful for this thread and what I've learned from it. On the other side, I have to stay away from my favorite BTL Random Picture thread because he posts beautiful shots of delicious looking food. I can't go there mid-fast. So thanks, friend (this thread). And thanks for nothing, pal (Random Picture thread). ;)

I've been sliding on my diet. Weight has gradually crept up. I was going to start a fast on Ash Wednesday, but Tuesday morning I stepped on the bathroom scale and my weight crept more than I thought. I want to get down to your Jan 29 weight or lower and maintain it. But it seems like my body wants to hang out around 170-172 when I'm eating reasonably. Tuesday morning I was 177+ so I started a new fast that day. Last meal was Monday evening. I'll see how long I can push this one and then for lent I'm going to try to do a no carb/sugar regime. He says.

On a side note, I have mixed feelings about our beloved OP, Tapxe. I'm so grateful for this thread and what I've learned from it. On the other side, I have to stay away from my favorite BTL Random Picture thread because he posts beautiful shots of delicious looking food. I can't go there mid-fast. So thanks, friend (this thread). And thanks for nothing, pal (Random Picture thread). ;)

I find I go thru cycles like you are describing. I put on weight until I hit the scale and say, woah enough. You'll drop it when you decide it's time.

I am holding in the low 160's atm. I would be lower, but on Dr's advice I am keeping the calories and nutrition up so that I can recover. Side note, all plant based atm, so my cholesterol #'s are finally in the normal range.

As for the food pics, the world is full of temptations. I try to look at things like that as a reward for taking my health and weight seriously enough to reach my goal.

Decided to give it a real try. Haven't been able to exercise since my wreck in 2017 and the past year hasn't been kind since losing my business. Mostly I decided to do it just so I could feel like I am in control of something again

I am on my third day now. What is the limit I should do? I don't want to slow down my metabolism

Decided to give it a real try. Haven't been able to exercise since my wreck in 2017 and the past year hasn't been kind since losing my business. Mostly I decided to do it just so I could feel like I am in control of something again

I am on my third day now. What is the limit I should do? I don't want to slow down my metabolism
I've never really understood the metabolism part so can't say at all.

3 days for a first attempt seems pretty darn outstanding. I'd be happy with that and just caution to start back eating slowly. I've jumped straight to Popeye's spicy and can confirm it is a stress on the system. Easing back in with fruits and veggies along with broths if you can, would be my recommendation. Figure out how you feel after a few days eating and ease back into another fast when ready.

The reason for caution is that you can get to a bad place health wise if not careful. Normally that is a few weeks iirc. Longer than 4 or 5 would be when I really start to worry without Dr administered tests, but it depends a lot on your current body type etc as to when you really get to a danger point. Might be worth discussion with your primary care physician, but I find most don't know much about fasting.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom