The Science of Fasting (17 Viewers)

I've never really understood the metabolism part so can't say at all.

3 days for a first attempt seems pretty darn outstanding. I'd be happy with that and just caution to start back eating slowly. I've jumped straight to Popeye's spicy and can confirm it is a stress on the system. Easing back in with fruits and veggies along with broths if you can, would be my recommendation. Figure out how you feel after a few days eating and ease back into another fast when ready.

The reason for caution is that you can get to a bad place health wise if not careful. Normally that is a few weeks iirc. Longer than 4 or 5 would be when I really start to worry without Dr administered tests, but it depends a lot on your current body type etc as to when you really get to a danger point. Might be worth discussion with your primary care physician, but I find most don't know much about fasting.

Yesterday I had some issues but today I am in cruise control and feel fine. Best my mood has been in a long time actually.

One thing I found that helped yesterday was dosing myself with pineapple habanero hot sauce.

Decided to give it a real try. Haven't been able to exercise since my wreck in 2017 and the past year hasn't been kind since losing my business. Mostly I decided to do it just so I could feel like I am in control of something again

I am on my third day now. What is the limit I should do? I don't want to slow down my metabolism
Congrats. That's a great first attempt.

My first attempt was a 3-day. Never thought I could do it. Since then I've done a 7-day, 8-day and last Friday I completed my best - 11-days. Just water.

It's amazing how long the body can go. I felt pretty good. Mild exercising and walking. Only thing I have to watch is standing up too quickly. Some light-headedness.

Last edited:
Dec 18 - 195#.
Jan 29 - 165#.

Is it cheating when you go a month with a undiagnosed broken jaw and then get wired shut tho? Asking for a friend.
You never explained how someone acquires a broken jaw that goes undiagnosed for for a month, but was bad enough to be wired shut.

Congrats. That's a great first attempt.

My first attempt was a 3-day. Never thought I could do it. Since then I've done a 7-day, 8-day and last Friday I completed my best - 11-days. Just water.

It's amazing how long the body can go. I felt pretty good. Mild exercising and walking. Only thing I have to watch is standing up took quickly. Some light-headedness.

Hmmmm....might just carry this farther then. I really have no urge to eat at all

You never explained how someone acquires a broken jaw that goes undiagnosed for for a month, but was bad enough to be wired shut.
Wisdom tooth extraction. Dentist failed to diagnose the break for a month. Kept treating as dry socket with pain meds and steroid shots. Surgeon says it's about as bad as it can get.

Month post surgery and now going to lose a tooth as well because of the infection spreading from the bone to its root. Planning a second surgery to see and do what's necessary. If there's a third, it'll be reconstructive...

No idea when I'll be able to chew again. I'm hoping it'll be this year.

I don't know why this happens, but every time I see this thread title my lizard brain sees it as 'The science of fisting.'
Not so much a science as a technique

Wisdom tooth extraction. Dentist failed to diagnose the break for a month. Kept treating as dry socket with pain meds and steroid shots. Surgeon says it's about as bad as it can get.

Month post surgery and now going to lose a tooth as well because of the infection spreading from the bone to its root. Planning a second surgery to see and do what's necessary. If there's a third, it'll be reconstructive...

No idea when I'll be able to chew again. I'm hoping it'll be this year.
Damn that sucks

You gonna superchuck up?

Think I am gonna end my fast tomorrow

I accomplished what I wanted and food isn't even a concern at this point

But I do feel better and more motivated to eat healthier

Damn that sucks

You gonna superchuck up?
SC500's a bit far, but I have contacted legal counsel and some preliminary record collection had been done as well. It's not as cut and dry as most non legal folks think tho. Just because the dentist is bad doesn't mean he's negligent.

I don't think my surgeon was surprised at all when he got the letter requesting records though.

I dont know the "rules" but I drink only water and black coffee while "fasting."

This date Last year I was close to the lightest I have ever weighed as an adult. I was 186. I lived the fasting lifestyle for 2 years.

For the second year I would do 18 hour fasts M-F as I made fasting part of my day to day work scenario.

And then the pandemic happened. I was at home with the kids and it ruined my fasting diet. I have officially gained 40 pounds since the pandemic started.

I'm starting back on my fasting plan Monday. This is ridiculous.

I'm on day three right now. I'm doing well. I don't have a plan as to when I'll eat but I'll try to keep it away from bedtime, and just one low-carb meal per day when I do. I was originally dreaming big of going until Easter but I think that it's unrealistic to expect. I'm just going to let my body tell me what's I need to do.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom