The Science of Fasting (4 Viewers)

I dont do day long fasts, but I have managed to do 19/5 for the last 2 years. I never eat after lunch, have cut out almost all snacking, and unfortunately, cut out ice cream. When I started doing all this, I lost 20 lbs in 6 months. I started eating ice cream again last year, and gained most of that back. I'm ice cream free for 6 weeks now, and am down 9 lbs.

I've also added a VR boxing routine to my morning regimen daily. No breaks. Its not helping me lose any weight, but its done wonders for upper arms/chest muscle, and my overall energy level. 45 minutes to an hour every day.

So i just found out that ive been intermittently fasting (unwittingly) for like 20 years…. Was reading an article about ways to live longer.. one was to drink more water, which ive always done, just an insane amount of water every day since i was like 15.. another was getting lots of sleep, which i *try* to do, to an obsessive degree- but am not always successful at.. but then i found out about intermittent fasting, which is eating all of your meals within one 8 hr period (?) Sorry if this has been covered already but it’s my first time in this thread.. but i never eat breakfast, usually have lunch between 1130-130pm.. then snack around 330 or 4pm… then dinner at 8 or 830pm…. So sometimes all my daily meals are eaten in about a 7 hr period, other times about a 9 hour period…. i had NO IDEA i was actually doing something healthy lol

058A50CC-558F-4638-B431-16C8F2B7B0A1.jpeg

I’m currently doing 16:8 with TMAD 12-8pm and 25 min of exercise 5days/wk. I also vigorously walk 30-45/day with a backpack due to commuting or walking to/from the grocery. I’m 10 days in. I’ve gone from a 34 waist to 32 with about 9lb lost (179 to 170). Goal weight is 160-165.

I’ve done simple bowl meals of fresh greens, brown rice, chicken or fish, and limited processed toppings (humus, hot sauce, wasabi, soy sauce). Homemade corn salsa, tzatziki, or fresh veggies helps with flavor.

I’ve recently added a smoothie with dinner to add fruits and protein. I’ll add a 3pm fruit and peanut butter snack after the second week to end TMAD and help stabilize weight.

I stepped down breakfast from cheese grits with two over easy eggs or ham/egg/cheese sandwich, to Kashi Go Lean and Greek yogurt, to nothing over 2-3 weeks prior to my 16:8 start date.

Got to get back to this. Having done it, I really am onboard with the benefits. It's difficult at first, then it gets easier, but then it gets harder again when I get the new problem of just missing the act of eating.

Got to get back to this. Having done it, I really am onboard with the benefits. It's difficult at first, then it gets easier, but then it gets harder again when I get the new problem of just missing the act of eating.
Right there with you. I’m struggling this go round because of Covid schedule at work. I come on at 3 and I’m not hungry until it’s time to be at work.

Poboys are the tool of the Devil.

I naturally do the daily eating within an 8-10 hour window. I can do the long fasts and drop pounds quick, but they come back too easily for my liking. What has helped me get to and stay near my desired weight has been doing regular exercising. On my wife's birthday, it's her day and I do her bidding and that included doing the aerobic walking she started doing. I shunned it because I'm not a fan of the rah! rah! motivation that comes with these trainers. Anyway, I put my male ego aside and have been staying with low impact walking programs on YouTube with Leslie Sonsone. It's helped me keep the weight in check and some firming has been talking place. And it loosens up my upper body - tightness in shoulders and neck.

I plan on a fast before Thanksgiving to lower by base weight a few pounds and hopefully this regime will keep me there.

I'm fine with eating a couple of times a day. I enjoy starting my day with nice leisurely breakfast. It's nice being able wake up or go to sleep when ever you want. Working a job just really sucks your life away.

Been working a lot lately though. If you call 3 days a week a lot. I'M SUPPOSSED TO BE RETIRED DAMMIT!!

It has always been extremely hard for me to lose weight. My body likes to maintain a certain weight no matter and I love food. Starting about 3 years ago, I gradually gained 30 lbs over a 2 year period bc of my job and working from home. I had never been so heavy before. Seeing myself in pictures is what gave me a huge wake up call. I had a destination wedding to attend to last fall which proved a great motivating factor for me as well.

Because of intermittent fasting, I'm down 35 lbs. I noticed that fasting for 18-20 hours hits the sweet spot for me.

I eat whatever I want and I don't count calories which makes the whole process less stressful and complicated for me. My goal is to lose another 15 lbs, see how my body looks, and determine if I want to lose more. I don't even know what I would look like 15 lbs lighter than my current weight since I haven't been that size in over 20 years.

Good luck to all of us trying to lose weight. It can be such a long and draining process.

Wow, I forgot about this thread. I didn't do much dieting last year with the pandemic and even gained a few lbs. But December 2020, I got back on the fasting wagon and have lost a total of 50 lbs.

So I accomplished the goal I set from my previous post but I want to lose about 20 more lbs so that's what I'm working on now. I just went on a 10 day vacation and stuffed my face with lots of good food. So I'm working these extra 6 lbs I gained and will start up my 20 lb weightloss. I don't think I want to lose anymore weight after that.

Fasting has made it so easy for me to maintain my weight and to jump start weightloss at any time.

I also have a favorite strength training video that's geared towards women that I always see results from which helps me as well with reshaping my body as I lose weight.

I am 100% convinced intermittent fasting is the way to go for sustainable weightloss and lifestyle

Push through to bedtime and you buy yourself eight easy hours. (y)
I didn't make it and did even worse today. Dunno if it was a psychological psyche out thing or an easing into it reminder. But I went ahead and ate something just to listen to my body telling me I'm hungry rather than trying to tough it out. I think that's a worse psychological thing to do because in the long run, willpower will only get you so far. In the past, I've never gotten much past 48 hours anyway.

I'm gonna try for tomorrow and Saturday to be good days because I already know Sunday (game) and Tuesday (my birthday and I'm having cake!) will be "bad" days.

I didn't make it and did even worse today. Dunno if it was a psychological psyche out thing or an easing into it reminder. But I went ahead and ate something just to listen to my body telling me I'm hungry rather than trying to tough it out. I think that's a worse psychological thing to do because in the long run, willpower will only get you so far. In the past, I've never gotten much past 48 hours anyway.

I'm gonna try for tomorrow and Saturday to be good days because I already know Sunday (game) and Tuesday (my birthday and I'm having cake!) will be "bad" days.
There's really no hurry. Just do what feels right and forget about the weight. And I know that can be easier said than done when that scale is sitting there looking at you walk in your bathroom but the body fat will gradually get used up. I actually lost too much and had to force myself to eat more so I could put 10 pounds back on.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom