The Science of Fasting (3 Viewers)

Imma have to look into that. I'm intrigued

Ok I broke it this evening. Back was feeling like someone shoved an ice pick into it so I knew I was going to have some Delta edibles so I picked up a grilled pork spring roll and ngo sen tom thit (Vietnamese lotus root salad with shrimp and pork)

Fasting really makes me crave Vietnamese....its light and fresh tasting and nothing to feel guilty about

(Vietnamese lotus root salad)
What do this taste like? I'm not a vegetarian but always looking for something new to get plant-based stuff in. Plus, with the lotus, maybe I could get total enlightenment ... or something like that.

Ive kind of gotten
Had the name wrong. It's got 40 calories in one scoop. Like I said...its just freeze dried "super" greens. And the hot sauce shows no calories for a full teaspoon

20211119_165141.jpg
Dago, You need to eat. You hand is shrinking!

on a serious note, I have not gotten back to fasting yet but I have been skipping breakfast and eating around noon for about a month. I didn't feel like I was losing but got on the scale yesterday and I am about 10 pounds lighter than expected. Gonna start doing 22-2 or 20-4's after Thanksgiving.

What do this taste like? I'm not a vegetarian but always looking for something new to get plant-based stuff in. Plus, with the lotus, maybe I could get total enlightenment ... or something like that.
Hard to say. It's got a nice crunchy texture, there is some mint, shredded cabbage and carrots and it I believe the veggies are pickled. I looked up Vietnamese pickling and I think I am going to try it at home. It's quick, easy, and tastes great....light and a little sweet and a little tart (honey and vinegar). I could be completely wrong, but I think this is what is done to the veggies in this salad.

The second day is the most difficult for me. Hot sauce FTW
I don't know how y'all do the multi day fasts. But then again, I didn't think it would be so easy to do 22 hours. I want to try one for a couple of days.

Hard to say. It's got a nice crunchy texture, there is some mint, shredded cabbage and carrots and it I believe the veggies are pickled. I looked up Vietnamese pickling and I think I am going to try it at home. It's quick, easy, and tastes great....light and a little sweet and a little tart (honey and vinegar). I could be completely wrong, but I think this is what is done to the veggies in this salad.

Oh, that could work for me if that's good for the gut biome. I don't have any Asian groceries near me, though, I don't think. I'm going to have to find one. Anyone know of any in Metairie for the next time I'm there?

Oh, that could work for me if that's good for the gut biome. I don't have any Asian groceries near me, though, I don't think. I'm going to have to find one. Anyone know of any in Metairie for the next time I'm there?
There is one on Severn or Edenborn or at least was. I live near Hong Kong Market though so I haven’t been in several years. There is also a general international food store a block off Cleary between Vets and interstate. It has Asian supplies but I feel it is much more geared toward Middle East and European stuff.

I don't know how y'all do the multi day fasts. But then again, I didn't think it would be so easy to do 22 hours. I want to try one for a couple of days.
From a true, true hunger standpoint, I think it gets easier. You can "fill up" with water or coffee (supposedly caffeine has a light appetite suppressant effect). When I tried longer than 48, it wasn't the hunger, it was missing the habit of walking out into the kitchen and popping something in my mouth and chewing (and chomping on ice chips didn't do the trick). Also, even though people don't care that you are fasting, if you are going to be around people during this multiple-day fasting event and others are eating and you aren't, you ARE going to have to explain not eating. At least I found that's what would scuttle me. I'm learning to have the power of my own conviction to overcome these things.

There is one on Severn or Edenborn or at least was. I live near Hong Kong Market though so I haven’t been in several years. There is also a general international food store a block off Cleary between Vets and interstate. It has Asian supplies but I feel it is much more geared toward Middle East and European stuff.
Thanks. I'll have to check closer into that. I assume there's a lot on Chef but I rarely venture out there for various reasons.

From a true, true hunger standpoint, I think it gets easier. You can "fill up" with water or coffee (supposedly caffeine has a light appetite suppressant effect). When I tried longer than 48, it wasn't the hunger, it was missing the habit of walking out into the kitchen and popping something in my mouth and chewing (and chomping on ice chips didn't do the trick). Also, even though people don't care that you are fasting, if you are going to be around people during this multiple-day fasting event and others are eating and you aren't, you ARE going to have to explain not eating. At least I found that's what would scuttle me. I'm learning to have the power of my own conviction to overcome these things.
I'm not currently doing a fast, but have been limiting my calorie intake for a few weeks. The haven't been using the scale, but I can see in the mirror that it's working.

Anyway, what you said about explaining really struck a chord. Now that I'm paying attention to how much I eat and making healthier choices on purpose, I can really tell I'm healthier. A lot of my gastro events are just gone and I don't feel bad from over eating. I'm not tired because I didn't sleep with all the extra weight causing sleep apnea and GERD. I understand now that I was eating a very unhealthy diet learned as I grew. And I now realize that I don't want to gather just to eat like a pig anymore. It's gluttonous and unneeded.

I'm not going tell the whole fam that I'm not eating because I think they are pigs. I will let them know that I've learned how much I need to eat and what makes me feel healthy physically as well as emotionally. If that's not good enough they'll hear that if diet choices don't line up with what they want me to eat, then they might want to adjust their expectations.

I'm not going tell the whole fam that I'm not eating because I think they are pigs. I will let them know that I've learned how much I need to eat and what makes me feel healthy physically as well as emotionally. If that's not good enough they'll hear that if diet choices don't line up with what they want me to eat, then they might want to adjust their expectations.
Sex, politics, and food ... the bastion of things that are not appropriate dinner conversation. lol We say, I don't care what people eat, but then we spend a lot of time -- perhaps unconsciously -- observing what people eat. Or offer the advice, Just eat moderately. Sounds helpful but it's really not instructive at all. I've let a lot of "helpful" comments and "advice" affect me in a way that was not good for me as I tried to make better food choices in the past. I've also done a lot of damage quite fine on my own. I suspect now that what people say verbally and openly to another about their food choices reflects more on themselves and how they feel about their own choices ... well, or virtue signaling. But I think we're all a little more aware now of what's in our foods we eat and that's a good thing.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom