The Science of Fasting (3 Viewers)

Oooof yeah never break a fast like that. Hope you are ok. Need to eat foods high in vitamins and minerals when breaking a long fast. I'm sure you knew that though.

And yes blame the Saints.
I just had some mild discomfort, and I went all in on my vitamins that I hadn’t been taking while fasting.

I’m disappointed that I didn’t last at least as long as my previous longest fast, but last time I was very low to zero net carbs before even starting. This time I had just went on a Thanksgiving carb binge, which I think contributes to the sustainability difficulty.

What kind of mineral water do you drink? Cramps can be a problem because of mineral deficiency. I had some foot cramps. I measured everything but actually found it hard to drink 2-3 grams of sodium and potassium per day. The electrolyte drink that I loved on the first day eventually became repulsive.
Haven't gotten any yet. Going to go a health store to see what they have.

Dago, I am assuming you skip the Delta 8 during fast? They aren't as bad as smokeable but they do increase appetite for me.
I still use it...for me it's a part of pain management

I'm not popping oxycodone, Delta 8, and a couple glasses of scotch for enjoyment (although that is a pleasant side effect), it's what I do to be able to sleep. Even with all that, I have to wake up to change positions every 30-45 minutes due to my back and hip pain.

I have cut out the scotch and lowered the amount of Delta 8 so that I don't cross all the way into "I don't give a fork....its time for a feeding frenzy" mode.

Trying to walk a tightrope with pain management, getting decent sleep, and trying to undo the damage I have done to myself since the Good Lord saw fit to put a target on my back (just a joke....I don't blame God for the stupidity of people)

I still use it...for me it's a part of pain management

I'm not popping oxycodone, Delta 8, and a couple glasses of scotch for enjoyment (although that is a pleasant side effect), it's what I do to be able to sleep. Even with all that, I have to wake up to change positions every 30-45 minutes due to my back and hip pain.

I have cut out the scotch and lowered the amount of Delta 8 so that I don't cross all the way into "I don't give a fork....its time for a feeding frenzy" mode.

Trying to walk a tightrope with pain management, getting decent sleep, and trying to undo the damage I have done to myself since the Good Lord saw fit to put a target on my back (just a joke....I don't blame God for the stupidity of people)
I get that and I think it’s a very effective choice. I just was wondering if you get the appetite issues I do or if maybe it doesn’t change much during a fast.

I broke during the game honestly. I said **** and I ordered a pizza. And I drank some wine. Could hardly eat any of it. I don’t recommend breaking a fast with red wine and pizza. It’s not a problem for me because I seem to have an iron stomach, but not a good idea generally. Made it 4 days and lost 12 pounds so trying to focus on the positive. I’ll get back at it soon.

I blame the Saints for my failure.
Funny, but yeah, breaking a fast is as important as starting. In the same way you wean yourself off of something you're used to, you need to break the fast low and slow.

Ok this is what I just picked up from Our Daily Bread in Baton Rouge

20211203_113319.jpg

20211203_113303.jpg

@Madmarsha we had discussed whether my fasting was correct and it looks like you are partly right...certainly I wasn't getting ALL the benefits I wanted. According to Dr. Sten Eckberg I still would get most of the benefits although likely I wasn't achieving autophagy which is a major loss. Plus my sugar free with stevia candies had a few calories and just the act of tasting something sweet can trigger certain reactions that aren't wanted

So this time I am doing a strict one and my goal is 10 days. Hopefully achieving this get me rolling into 2022 on a good start.

Last time I ate was Wednesday 5pm. I did get a bit loopy earlier in the late afternoon and earlier this evening my body was definitely letting me know something was missing in my life but that only lasted about an hour and I am feeling relaxed and chill right now (Delta 8 tincture helping with that I am sure)

My only real issue so far is that I was invited to go out to eat and to a movie on Sunday which would be nice since things have been so rough. I nearly said yes since 4 days of fasting isn't bad but I told them to go eat without me and I would meet them at the movies where I will do my best to ignore the smell of popcorn lol

Overall feeling good at just over the 20% mark

Here’s what I’ve started using as my main fasting drink:

1L water
3/4 tsp Morton’s Lite Salt (870mg sodium, 1050mg potassium)
.3 cc pure stevia powder (a pinch)
1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
Squeeze of a bit of lemon or lime juice to taste

Then I take 200mg magnesium glycinate (tablet) twice a day, along with a b-complex.

I have black coffee in the morning, and drink tea and sparkling water throughout the day whenever I feel like it.

Jogged 4.5 miles yesterday. If I’m going to keep up on daily exercise/sweating I’ll probably need to up the sodium a bit. Once in ketosis the body should get all necessary energy from body fat. From my understanding it’s mostly a lack of sodium that can lead to lightheadedness and lack of energy.
That drink's a good one.

I just started to take the magnesium glycinate, too. Just curious, which one do you take? I'm always on the search for the best price but also magnesium shopping is confusing.

Sounds like you're doing all the "hacks"!

I broke during the game honestly. I said **** and I ordered a pizza. And I drank some wine. Could hardly eat any of it. I don’t recommend breaking a fast with red wine and pizza. It’s not a problem for me because I seem to have an iron stomach, but not a good idea generally. Made it 4 days and lost 12 pounds so trying to focus on the positive. I’ll get back at it soon.

I blame the Saints for my failure.
Ha. I munched during the game, too, on a good bit of carbs and protein, so then today I wanted ALL the food and I blame the Saints for that. I managed to go 16 hours, though, and stayed keto. I should be back in ketosis this weekend but not playing anything longer than IF.

I always had an iron stomach, too, but I don't push it after a fast. The noises coming from my stomach tell me to be careful. I dunno what it is but I identify it as the rumbling of peristalis.

@Madmarsha we had discussed whether my fasting was correct and it looks like you are partly right...certainly I wasn't getting ALL the benefits I wanted.
Just partly?

lol. Yeah, it's easy to think it's hard and fast rules or it's not "true" fasting, but I realize there can be a couple different motives. And I think some religious fasts are so strict you are not even allowed water, so. I am very interested in autophagy but not everyone is or maybe for not the same reasons.

Just partly?

lol. Yeah, it's easy to think it's hard and fast rules or it's not "true" fasting, but I realize there can be a couple different motives. And I think some religious fasts are so strict you are not even allowed water, so. I am very interested in autophagy but not everyone is or maybe for not the same reasons.

Depends on what your goals are but since I am interested in autophagy, I wasn't achieving all my goals with it

Also ordered Delta in vape form in case tinctures are an issue

Also ordered Delta in vape form in case tinctures are an issue
It is crazy what you have to look at and pay attention to. For instance, they say that a calorie or two, depending what kind of fast you're looking for, is okay. So I looked at the magnesium glycinate I am taking thinking that didn't have any calories. It's 10 CALORIES! So I may be wishing I had a magnesium tincture.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom