The Sean Payton Legacy (1 Viewer)

If Carr comes in and plays top 10 or better, the saints win a couple of NFC South titles and we even get a Super Bowl in the next 5/7 years what does that do to SP’s legacy.

What I mean is that he came here and we became a contender for a long time. He left the team in a mess which some of us thought needed to be rebuilt. This offseason Loomis does his Loomis and we are reloading with a lot of young talent and veteran mix for the future.

If we are successful is Loomis and company the real geniuses?

Let's see.......

1) he came to an organization a year after being displaced by one the worst hurricanes in American history and help turn it around.

2) managed to guide that first team to the NFC championship game on a wet ,slippery Chicago field

3) manage to turn an okay quarterback , coming off a major injury, into one of the greatest quarterbacks and first ballot Hall of famer.

4) took a team, that barely sniffed the playoffs in 40 plus years, to the Super Bowl and won. (Against Payton Manning)

5) could have gone to another Super Bowl had the officials not interfered.
Constantly screwed over by the officials.

6) managed to field pretty good teams, despite blowback from a commissioner Hell bent on interfering with the organization whenever he feels like it.

7) Has the all-time winning record for the organization

8). Lived rent-free in the heads of the the Falcons organization and it's fans.

Yeah, I would say his legacy is cemented .

Sean Payton spoiled this fan base so much that it’s now turning on Sean Payton.

Yup, he will always be my favorite Saints HC. He was far from perfect, had plenty of flaws, but he was not scared to take chances.....he completely understood that to win big games you had to take chances and be aggressive, I will always admire him for that.....

He is the polar opposite of Jim Mora.....and DA (thus far)....

SP brought the formula here. He established the culture. If we succeed he still gets some credit for it. Where would we be without him?

Even if he does terrible in Denver. You can’t take away what he did for the franchise.

Other folks should get credit too though.
I agree with this sentiment. Listen to what other players say about the way the Saints operate and the culture. Well regarded in league circles. Listen to the David Carr podcast from a week or so ago after Derek signed. Payton was the architect. All this nonsense about squandering Brees..... Give me a break. He was two last-second miracle plays and the worst no call in NFL history from possibly playing for three more titles. I'll never discount what he has meant to this organization.

SP’s legacy is cemented. Doesn’t matter if we win two more titles with Carr and whatever HC.
This. SP's legacy is set as far as the Saints go. He's on the Mt Rushmore and I can't think of anything that would change that. I'm not his biggest fan at the moment but still, no denying what the man was able to do with this franchise. It's hard to articulate but he turned us into a real franchise. He made us one of the teams that matter.

I could not agree more. It sounds silly to say but Payton underachieved after his Super Bowl win due to your analysis above.
Yes, he underachieved, but he also brought a culture change. We were the model for how NOT to run a franchise. Complete ineptitude in every level of the organization, the building on David Dr was an absolute disgrace for an NFL club. Attracting decent free agents was impossible, no one wanted to play here. Sometimes I thought they were trying to lose, we couldn't get out of our own way. If we win another SB under another coach it will be because of the culture change put in place by CSP. He will forever be the reason we are no longer the 'Aints.

DA probably wouldn’t be a head coach without Payton

Yes, he underachieved, but he also brought a culture change. We were the model for how NOT to run a franchise. Complete ineptitude in every level of the organization, the building on David Dr was an absolute disgrace for an NFL club. Attracting decent free agents was impossible, no one wanted to play here. Sometimes I thought they were trying to lose, we couldn't get out of our own way. If we win another SB under another coach it will be because of the culture change put in place by CSP. He will forever be the reason we are no longer the 'Aints.
I don’t think he underachieved. There’s a lot of HOF coaches that don’t have even one championship.
Bud Grant.
Madden only has one. Tomlin too. Cowher also has one. Stram also.

I agree with this sentiment. Listen to what other players say about the way the Saints operate and the culture. Well regarded in league circles. Listen to the David Carr podcast from a week or so ago after Derek signed. Payton was the architect. All this nonsense about squandering Brees..... Give me a break. He was two last-second miracle plays and the worst no call in NFL history from possibly playing for three more titles. I'll never discount what he has meant to this organization.
Bingo bango bongo.

If Carr comes in and plays top 10 or better, the saints win a couple of NFC South titles and we even get a Super Bowl in the next 5/7 years what does that do to SP’s legacy.

What I mean is that he came here and we became a contender for a long time. He left the team in a mess which some of us thought needed to be rebuilt. This offseason Loomis does his Loomis and we are reloading with a lot of young talent and veteran mix for the future.

I don't think the one has to tarnish the other. Having said that, If we do win a championship with this group then that's a pretty big skin on the wall for Loomis and DA honestly. There's an argument to be made (and many have made it here) that we should've had another one or two SBs, at least appearances if not wins. Didn't happen for a host of reasons and so that's why, for me, it's not all on Payton but he's got to take some of the blame as he was the HC during those seasons

I don't think the one has to tarnish the other. Having said that, If we do win a championship with this group then that's a pretty big skin on the wall for Loomis and DA honestly. There's an argument to be made (and many have made it here) that we should've had another one or two SBs, at least appearances if not wins. Didn't happen for a host of reasons and so that's why, for me, it's not all on Payton but he's got to take some of the blame as he was the HC during those seasons
If the Saints win a championship with Carr and Allen or even junior Carr at some point, this entire 06 to the present becomes more about Loomis. He probably gets a spot in the Hall if that happens.

If the Saints win a championship with Carr and Allen or even junior Carr at some point, this entire 06 to the present becomes more about Loomis. He probably gets a spot in the Hall if that happens.
I think they stand on their own in that case. Let's get there first though.

You should have enough data to evaluate Sean Payton legacy in New Orleans. Handicapped himself for most of Brees' prime with ineptitude on the defensive side of the ball and managing his staff (DC hires, keeping non producing cronies, bad signings and ideas...like just try to copy Seattle def. scheme). Defense was all time bad and completely nullified his offense.

He learned some lessons and got better, but was too late when Brees fell off the cliff. Still had a shot but got outcoached at some key moments and shafted by the refs at the worst possible moment.

As good as he was with the offense, he was that level bad (and beyond) with the defense.

How he does in Denver with the defensive side of the ball and who he lets run that will be key to his outcomes there...
I couldn't agree more. He wasted Brees' best years with terrible defenses.

Sean Payton came in and took over a disheveled team in a disheveled city. He left after his HOF QB retired and he left NOLA with a Lombardi. 'Nuff said.

I’m thankful for Sean, and what he did for our city and team. He won us a Super Bowl, and when he took the Broncos job he landed us a 1st rd. pick (when we didn’t have one).

Anyone talking bad about him, or tarnishing his name can go pound sand. They probably aren’t real Saints fans anyway. If they were they would appreciate what he did for this team’s reputation.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom