The Sean Payton Legacy (2 Viewers)

Drew Brees is better than Derek Carr
Sean Payton is better than Dennis Allen

We’ll be lucky if we ever see a Brees/Payton type QB/HC combo in black and gold ever again

Drew Brees is better than Derek Carr
Sean Payton is better than Dennis Allen

We’ll be lucky if we ever see a Brees/Payton type QB/HC combo in black and gold ever again
You are right. The 49ers got lucky transitioning from Montana to Young, but even then they couldn’t keep Bill Walsh. How few other teams can say they had that same fortune? People think that we can replicate that success by throwing money at the issue.

If Carr comes in and plays top 10 or better, the saints win a couple of NFC South titles and we even get a Super Bowl in the next 5/7 years what does that do to SP’s legacy.

What I mean is that he came here and we became a contender for a long time. He left the team in a mess which some of us thought needed to be rebuilt. This offseason Loomis does his Loomis and we are reloading with a lot of young talent and veteran mix for the future.

If we are successful is Loomis and company the real geniuses?
You have many "if's" in your posting. It really begs the question...............why this post? What currency is to be gained at this point? As far as geniuses go, Sean stands head shoulders above anyone we have here today.

Seems Loomis and company have a lot to prove, after last season, much less DA and Loomis catching up to Sean's superbowl and HOF legacy.

If the Saints win a championship with Carr and Allen or even junior Carr at some point, this entire 06 to the present becomes more about Loomis. He probably gets a spot in the Hall if that happens.

I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.....

Regardless of whatever the Saints do in the future, Sean Payton is the best coach that the Saints have ever had, and his legacy will not be affected by anything. He will be the first coach in Saints history to win the Super Bowl.

Regardless of whatever the Saints do in the future, Sean Payton is the best coach that the Saints have ever had, and his legacy will not be affected by anything. He will be the first coach in Saints history to win the Super Bowl.

Agreed, I don't get all the hate/bad feelings towards CSP, he was here for 16 years total, that's an eternity. It strikes me as really odd....and childish.....

I couldn't agree more. He wasted Brees' best years with terrible defenses.
If ever there was a walking advertisement for "offense sells tickets, defense wins championships" it is Sean Payton.

Even in 2009, you can argue defense made the difference on the edge needed to get to and win a championship.

2009 it wasn't so much dominance but being at least average and opportunistic. All the turnovers/takeaways the defense delivered were critical to winning key games and as well as winning vs FaRve and Manning. And if you recall some attention was given to the fact Gregg Williams called a really great game in the Super Bowl, essentially creating 4 different game plans to change up looks by quarter to keep Manning off balance.

The hype went to Payton's head and he let the defense spiral down and by the time he sorted it out Drew hit the wall.

SP’s legacy is cemented. Doesn’t matter if we win two more titles with Carr and whatever HC.
Yes. Exactly. When Payton came there was nothing. It was probably about as downtrodden and had much working against it as probably any sports franchise in modern America has ever seen.

Or put another way. There was a vast forest that needed crossing and a road was needed to be made to get through

Whatever happens good wise from here will be just filling in the potholes in the road

I’ll always appreciate what he did, but he has to be looking at the NFC south and NFC as a whole and saying “d@mn” 😂 Now he has to deal with Patty twice a year and coach Russell Wilson who’s wife is wearing thongs to the award shows and stressing his Christian spirit. I don’t see him getting a ring over there. Honestly don’t see them getting to the AFC ship. It’s just too stacked over there.
No one believed me when I said that SP wanted to be near Ciara’s goodies.

You should have enough data to evaluate Sean Payton legacy in New Orleans. Handicapped himself for most of Brees' prime with ineptitude on the defensive side of the ball and managing his staff (DC hires, keeping non producing cronies, bad signings and ideas...like just try to copy Seattle def. scheme). Defense was all time bad and completely nullified his offense.

He learned some lessons and got better, but was too late when Brees fell off the cliff. Still had a shot but got outcoached at some key moments and shafted by the refs at the worst possible moment.

As good as he was with the offense, he was that level bad (and beyond) with the defense.

How he does in Denver with the defensive side of the ball and who he lets run that will be key to his outcomes there...
Never missing an opportunity to take a swipe at the most successful coach in Saints history. At least you never grow.

Never missing an opportunity to take a swipe at the most successful coach in Saints history. At least you never grow.
Keeping the record straight.

Those defenses were a crime. It's something else to have one of the greatest QBs and most prolific offenses in history AND the worst defense of all time AT THE SAME TIME.

This achievement should be noted.

Those defenses were a crime. It's something else to have one of the greatest QBs and most prolific offenses in history AND the worst defense of all time AT THE SAME TIME.

That statistical anomaly you speak of was 2012 and Payton was on suspension for bountygate, and Joe Vitt was head coach. Steve Spagnuolo coached that "worst" defense, Pete was the play caller for that 5000yd season with Drew.

I think even the most passionate CSP fan would say he was far from perfect, and certainly not above criticism. But this Saints fan is sure glad we had him here as long as we did.....and IMO, this should be noted.....

He was certainly a far from perfect coach on offense (anyone remember the double reverse to Billy Miller), and his defenses were 9 time out of 10 a mess. The man had faults.

The thing though is he always tried to fix those faults. He never rested on his laurels, and always put as good a product out there as possible. Given what he had at the beginning of his tenure, to what he left DA at the end, Sean should get a freaking statue.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom