The SHAWN CRABLE bandwagon (1 Viewer)

He's not that strong in coverage, but neither is Julian Peterson. Crable can hold his own in coverage, but the reason he'd be a WILL is so that he wouldn't have to account for the TE in passing situations, freeing him to blow up the backfield. A LB on passing downs that can add extra pressure could be much more effective than one who's mismatched against a WR or RB. Crable has immense talents; he can disrupt things and get into the backfield and add pressure, which is what this team desperately needs.

You couldn't be more wrong about Peterson's coverage ability. JP is one of the best coverage linebackers in the game.

You couldn't be more wrong about Peterson's coverage ability. JP is one of the best coverage linebackers in the game.

Do you really think so? In all the games I've seen, I've never really seen him shut people down in coverage. Keep in mind, they usually rush Peterson and drop Tatupu into coverage. Anyways, my point is, it's not Crable's strongest point, but he's good enough. LT was terrible in coverage in his first few years. It's like they say: When in doubt, rush the passer.

Another good option in the 2nd.

I don't know if anyone has pointed this out yet, but Crable is projected as a DE first, SLB second. Nowhere on his resume has he shown himself capable of being a WLB. If you want a LBer, go for Beau Bell or the Wesley Woodyard.

I don't know if anyone has pointed this out yet, but Crable is projected as a DE first, SLB second. Nowhere on his resume has he shown himself capable of being a WLB. If you want a LBer, go for Beau Bell or the Wesley Woodyard.

Strengths:
Has excellent size and a big frame with long arms...Very athletic...Fantastic timed speed...Nice quickness and agility...Strong and powerful...Terrific pass rusher and blitzer...Makes a lot of plays behind the line...Offers some versatility...He does an adequate job in coverage...Still improving and has upside...Had a big senior year.

Weaknesses:
Does not have a great motor...Work ethic has been questioned...Intelligence may be a concern...Slow to read and react...Needs to play with better leverage...Was only a starter for two seasons...Sub par ball skills...Pass rush repertoire is limited.

Notes:
Was a highly-regarded recruit coming out of the prep ranks...He could project to a 4-3 (SAM) or 3-4 scheme...A real interesting prospect with a unique set of physical tools...Presents a rare combination of production and triangle numbers...Talented but may need to be pushed in order to fulfill his potential...May have played out of position in college...His best fit might be a pass rushing outside linebacker in a 34.
Not WLB but not DE either.

On the NFL.com website they placed his profile here on the Defensive Lineman page. He is a hybrid-type, like Darryl Blackstock, Julian Peterson or Shaun Phillips (who NFL scouts compare him to). He could easily carry 20 more pounds, which is not the build of a WLB. Phillips plays the down-LBer position for the Chargers. He is much, much closer to a rush DE than he ever will be to a WLB. If he is a Saint, he will be playing behind Scott Fujita.

I've never seen him projected as a DE. He's 20 lbs underweight to play DE. He's been projected as an OLB on every projection I've seen.

Have a look here (keep in mind, this is NOT the most flattering Crable video):

YouTube - Thank you, Shawn Crable

Keep the slider on the front. You'll notice he's at the LOLB position. The tight end is lined up next to the LT; Crable is opposite the RT on this play, so he's playing the weak side.

On the NFL.com website they placed his profile here on the Defensive Lineman page. He is a hybrid-type, like Darryl Blackstock, Julian Peterson or Shaun Phillips (who NFL scouts compare him to). He could easily carry 20 more pounds, which is not the build of a WLB. Phillips plays the down-LBer position for the Chargers.

Phillips was a DE at Purdue and Blackstock was an OLB in Virginia's 3-4. The Peterson comparisons make the most sense. :D

Quote:
Strengths:
Has excellent size and a big frame with long arms...Very athletic...Fantastic timed speed...Nice quickness and agility...Strong and powerful...Terrific pass rusher and blitzer...Makes a lot of plays behind the line...Offers some versatility...He does an adequate job in coverage...Still improving and has upside...Had a big senior year.

Weaknesses:
Does not have a great motor...Work ethic has been questioned...Intelligence may be a concern...Slow to read and react...Needs to play with better leverage...Was only a starter for two seasons...Sub par ball skills...Pass rush repertoire is limited.

Notes:
Was a highly-regarded recruit coming out of the prep ranks...He could project to a 4-3 (SAM) or 3-4 scheme...A real interesting prospect with a unique set of physical tools...Presents a rare combination of production and triangle numbers...Talented but may need to be pushed in order to fulfill his potential...May have played out of position in college...His best fit might be a pass rushing outside linebacker in a 34.

Yeah, that's from NFLDC's report. I don't like the thinking that he's a SAM; he's better as a pass-rusher, rather than in coverage, so on the weak side he wouldn't have to account for the TE, freeing him up to blow up the backfield.

Yeah, that's from NFLDC's report. I don't like the thinking that he's a SAM; he's better as a pass-rusher, rather than in coverage, so on the weak side he wouldn't have to account for the TE, freeing him up to blow up the backfield.
Scott contradicts himself a lot and doesn't realize it..

Michael Strahan has ten pounds on Crable. DE is not a stretch for Crable. He could easily pack 20 more pounds on his frame. It's easier for him to gain weight and strength than to get faster.

Michael Strahan has ten pounds on Crable. DE is not a stretch for Crable. He could easily pack 20 more pounds on his frame. It's easier for him to gain weight and strength than to get faster.

4.64 isn't fast enough?

Phillips was a DE at Purdue and Blackstock was an OLB in Virginia's 3-4. The Peterson comparisons make the most sense. :D
Purdue runs a 4-3 defense so of course he played DE. He's listed as a LBer for the Chargers. As for Blackstock, what do you think Peterson is best suited for if not an OLB in a 3-4 defense?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom