The shed... (1 Viewer)

Joe OKC

"Better Days"
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Well... The Motorcycle and the lawnmower have been fighting in the garage.. A little female jeoles I think... So to solve this problem.. the mower is out.. along with the lawn tools, bags of dirt, weed-wacker.. etc..

Oh yea... I can save money... I can do better...

I am working on one of these. Man am I beat. and I could use some help with truss angles

Joe

shed.jpg

Your shed looks nice..........and empty.

You did the right thing saving the motorcycle over the lawn mower.

Funner, I'm sure.

Oh that's not mine, just a pic I found on the internet... But the design is the same...

Just wanting to share, and I got some question I am trying to resolve too... ANgles.. Ridgeboard or not.. single door vs. double door... Siding...?

trying to find a 24x24 storm window is becoming a pain.

Joe

I am working on one of these. Man am I beat. and I could use some help with truss angles

Truss angles...OHHHH...you were talking about the shedddd...

Where is hammernnails when you need him?

Taking into acount a 5 inch riser.. Intead of cheating, how do you figure out your angle cut and read it off this thing?

There has to be a simple something... 8 wide, 6 high, and the roof should be 2 ft above that a hieght of 8 ft.. So what would that angle be?

Joe

square.jpg

Last edited:
While searching roof angles, I found cool photographs...

Joe

fig064.jpg

fig051.jpg

fig055.jpg

Last edited:
swanson-speed-square-how-to-use.jpg

How to use the Swanson Speed Square as a Framing Square

Since I published the first review of the Swanson Speed Square, many people have been wondering how to use it. There are actually a large number of things you can do with it, but the most common is probably to use it the same way a framing square is used - to determine the correct angle to cut rafters.I'll show you how to determine the angle you need to use.

But before we get there, a couple words on how the pitch or slope of rafters is stated. In the US, rafter slope is typically given in terms like "4 in 12" or "12 in 12". The first would be close to the minimum slope for a shingled roof and refers to a vertical rise of 4 inches for every horizontal run of 12 inches. The reason that 12 is used as the denominator is that by doing so it is easy to do the math. If you have a 10 foot run, and a pitch of 4 in 12, you simply multiply the 10 by 4 and arrive at a vertical rise of 40 inches.

Now, calculating the correct angle for a common rafter is simple with a little trigonometry, but the speed square takes away the need to drag out a calculator. Just set the pivot at the edge of the board and then rotate the square around that point until the edge of the board aligns with the correct mark on the "Common" scale - marked in red in the picture. Then draw a line along the ruled side of the square (the one parallel with the yellow mark). You can see that at "12 in 12" the edge will make a 45% line.

READ MORE
http://zo-d.com/stuff/how-do-i/how-to-use-the-swanson-speed-square-as-a-framing-square.html

There has to be a simple something... 8 wide, 6 high, and the roof should be 2 ft above that a hieght of 8 ft.. So what would that angle be?

DD's answer is of the most useful, but I'll take a stab at it, if my understanding of your dimensions is correct:

Hmm. I tried to draw a labeled picture but it kept moving my symbols around....

Its 8 ft wide, side to side, and 6 ft tall (without the roof)? So, if was a roofless box, it would be 8 wide, 6 tall. To that, you are adding a roof whose peak will be at 8 ft?

If so, the angles at the corners will be 26.565 degrees. If you hang a line from the peak straight down, the top-most angle (the one that points down) on each side of the line will be 63.435 degs.

A little confusing. Hope this helps, though, and good luck. Built one with my dad last summer. Great good fun and it came out dang good, too. Cheaper and better built than buying one. If my scale is wrong and you're interested, let me know...

Its 8 ft wide, side to side, and 6 ft tall (without the roof)? So, if was a roofless box, it would be 8 wide, 6 tall. To that, you are adding a roof whose peak will be at 8 ft?

BAM! ; And a 4x8 sheet of siding would reach from top to bottom.

Right now I got the floor done and 75% of the framing. It's looking good. Wish I had a pic to share. But I am wainting on my iris' to bloom for the last shot on my disposable camera. Dad's knows what that means.

Anyways.. I was going to just tie the rafters, but I am really thihnking hard about adding a ridgeboard and a top wall tie. Just to add a little lip roof. But I dunno, but now is the time to do it.

regardless. Understanding that square is gonna make the difference. I'll re-read that post again dad. It has to do with the pivot and math.

ANd guess what.. all the lumber i bought from Lowe's was miscut... ****** me off when I found out about it... Home depot was on the square. So far I have about $200 in lumber and $50 in etc... I am floored and framed. Just need roof and siding and done...

And a little flower in the front. ;)

BTW- God showed me the perfect corner, it turned out to be 6'x6' of the opposing fences, and my yard is a secret route from Cox street to the Church.. And I got a Rainbow too... Wait till you see the pics.

Joe

Whoa dad, I think I can read it now...

Now, What is the cut? 8w 6h "? to 8 high".. So 1 piece of siding works.

Joe

If so, the angles at the corners will be 26.565 degrees. If you hang a line from the peak straight down, the top-most angle (the one that points down) on each side of the line will be 63.435 degs.

Built one with my dad last summer. Great good fun and it came out dang good, too. Cheaper and better built than buying one.

Got me thinking.. Unless some one else comes along, I think that I will cut a 25% angle [split da dif] and experiment.

Joe

Thanks Dads... That's perfect... after an experimental cut, I found out I can match the shed and garage roof pitch... 25*... and that should be a rise close or less than 24"....

Now that you got me going here, instead of going the easiest route, I am now going to expand the roof to 1 ft past the front.... Just so I can hang a birtd feeder or something....

I swear... If I wasn;t a he man and building this thing, I be doing all this extra work just to be girl.. Bird feeders... sheeeezzzzzzzz

Joe

You're welcome, Joe.

I had an old carpenter as a platoon sergeant in the Louisiana National Guard back in the early 80s. During summer camps, we were often tasked with fixing state-owned buildings.

He was a crusty old buzzard, but he taught me how to use a framing square to figure out roof angles, slopes and cuts.

To him, speed squares were for wusses, so I had to look it up. :)

MAn dad... this is kicking my ***... not even a neighborhood kid is helping me...

Buy the lumber.. Load the lumber, unload the lumber.. carry the lumber, cut the lumber.. climb the ladder, hold the lumber, nail the lumber... Climb off ladder and go cut more lumber... shew...

I need a beer... is it beer thirty yet?

Joe

Well... Here ya go...

Attachments

• theshed.jpg
    theshed.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 6
  • garage3.jpg
    garage3.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 205
  • shed3.JPG
    shed3.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 179
  • insideshed.jpg
    insideshed.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 6

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom