The Social dilemma on Netflix (1 Viewer)

Not a fan of the docu drama they intertwine but the message is clear.

I just watched it a bit earlier. It is EXTREMELY interesting. It paints a rather bleak picture on the global future though.

Yes it does. We have (as parents) monitored our kids and apps. I have no social media except Twitter and LinkedIn... I don't post. Just read. No Facebook no Insta etc etc. Kids only have snap and Insta... And that gets monitored. And they have time limits. Cant tell you how many spats we've had over screen time, but they know it's no use to battle. We are "mean" but as I keep explaining, you'll understand when your older. It's tough but it's something I firmly believe that has to be moderated.

What I found terribly concerning is the finding that fake news spreads 5x faster than real news. So it's no wonder that FB refuses to remove.. They need eyes on screen to drive advertising. Their algos are so complex, they can target a user with ads within seconds.

Good to see former execs step out into the light, but I fear too late. Pandoras box is open. It will be up to the parents and individual user to not fall prey.

Yes it does. We have (as parents) monitored our kids and apps. I have no social media except Twitter and LinkedIn... I don't post. Just read. No Facebook no Insta etc etc. Kids only have snap and Insta... And that gets monitored. And they have time limits. Cant tell you how many spats we've had over screen time, but they know it's no use to battle. We are "mean" but as I keep explaining, you'll understand when your older. It's tough but it's something I firmly believe that has to be moderated.

What I found terribly concerning is the finding that fake news spreads 5x faster than real news. So it's no wonder that FB refuses to remove.. They need eyes on screen to drive advertising. Their algos are so complex, they can target a user with ads within seconds.

Good to see former execs step out into the light, but I fear too late. Pandoras box is open. It will be up to the parents and individual user to not fall prey.
Good for you. Too many parents want to be friends with their kids instead of adults.

The fake news spreading fast was disturbing but what really got to me was how it's used to destabilize democratic countries and how easy it is to do so.

Last edited:
Good for you. Too many parents want to be friends with their kids instead of adults.

The fake news spreading fast was disturbing but what really got to me was how it's used to destabilize democratic countries and how easy it to do so.

wont lie. its hard. Especially when all friends have it - i soooooo remember that growing up ( but it was Fila shoes, Red Line or Diamondback bikes and Commodore 64 or Nintendo lol )

wont lie. its hard. Especially when all friends have it - i soooooo remember that growing up ( but it was Fila shoes, Red Line or Diamondback bikes and Commodore 64 or Nintendo lol )
Bruh, Fila shoes, Girbaud jeans, Intellivision and Atari games. I remember one Christmas when my sister and I got an Intellivision video game we thought we were in heaven!!

Bruh, Fila shoes, Girbaud jeans, Intellivision and Atari games. I remember one Christmas when my sister and I got an Intellivision video game we thought we were in heaven!!

We had that too! Intellivision... Which was the lesser of Atari. That hand held joystick that had that circular pad so ur soccer player could do a 360!

There was a math game I played with a gorilla lol

Yeah different times for sure.

We had that too! Intellivision... Which was the lesser of Atari. That hand held joystick that had that circular pad so ur soccer player could do a 360!

There was a math game I played with a gorilla lol

Yeah different times for sure.
I thought it was a slight step up from Atari. I remember the dial on the remotes which were attached. They had a VERSION of Space Invaders, which was SO much fun. Good times.

It was 10 steps up from Atari.

Atari had a joystick and one button.

Intellivision had a "joy stick" (actually a disc that you could move in all directions) 4 buttons on the sides, and a 9 button key pad.

Baseball alone, Atari had 3 defenders in a line, and you just moved all three together.

Intellivision had all 9 defenders, and you could activate and move each one individually.

Man that was some fun stuff back in the early 80's.

I'm watching this now. The correlation between the rise of Social Media and the exponential growth of self-harm and suicide among teens is staggering. I knew we had a problem, I honestly didn't realize how bad the problem was.

And for young parents who grew up w/ Social media have to remember ( as we do now - wife and i ) how prone to influence you were as a teen. Peer pressure was a real thing. And you HAD to be aware of it. But still succumbed to it.

Now with social media, its no longer just "who your kids hang out with" - there is this WHOLE OTHER group ( online group ) that can exert influence.

Its reaaaaaaaallly hard being a parent BEFORE social media. Now? its an absolute minefield. And requires MUCH more attention to your kids and their state of mind/emotions than ever before. If you checkout as a parent for just a short amount of time, you can lose your child to social media.

very very scary.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom