The Sporting News' analysis of DRC (1 Viewer)

TideSaint

All-Pro
Reaction score
I picked up the Draft magazine this morning and thought I would share their scouting report on DRC since he seems to be a real fan favorite on this board.

First off, he is ranked #7 in their "Bust-Bound" section. It says: DRC brings to mind former Oklahoma CB Andre Woofolk, who was drafted in the 1st round by the Titans in 2003 and is now out of the NFL. Similar to Woolfolk, DRC had an excellent Senior Bowl showing, leaving NFL scouts trying to justify his inconsistent production at Tennessee State. Despite being taller than 6-0 with long arms and elite natural athleticism, he was consistently beaten by inferior receivers and allowed too many catches while with the 1-AA Tigers.

In their Mock Draft they have him going to the Titans at the 54th pick (2nd round). In the comments section of the mock they say: The Titans will continue their recent history of drafting CBs who work out extremely well but were not consistently good players on the field in college.

The Sporting News has DRC ranked as the #10 CB in the upcoming draft. His NFL comparison is Fabian Washington.

Strengths: Is an elite athlete with the physical tools NFL coaches covet. Shows the hands to make tough interceptions. Also the speed and playmaking ability as a punt returner.

Weaknesses: Is a better athlete than football player. Allowed inferior receivers to separate and catch passes. Lacks natural instincts and often reacts late to receivers' routes. Shows sloppy and raw technique, raising questions of how well he learns from coaching. Does not play with intensity.

Bottom line: DRC is a premier athlete who improved his draft stock tremendously at the Senior Bowl, but must show that wasn't an aberration. Don't be suprised if a NFL team drafts him as high as Round 1. However, he's a long way from being polished.

In their Draft Status section they have him as being both "On the Rise" and the 'Biggest Risk."

'On the Rise": For a CB who was viewed by many scouts as an underachiever on film, he stepped up and had an outstanding week at the Senior Bowl.

"Biggest Risk": Although he is also listed above due to his great week in Mobile, Alabama, our scouts never thought he was a good player at Tennessee State and believe major improvement is needed in order for him to become a solid NFL player.

I put everything about DRC the draft magazine stated. There are varying opinions on this board about whether or not we should take him at #10. This PROFESSIONAL analysis has solidified my beliefs that we would be making a huge mistake in taking him that early. There have also been numerous arguments about DRC dominating his competition in college, some say yes others say no. These people have ACTUALLY watched him play and they say he did not. I would think that could solve a few of those disagreements. Everything about DRC screams "WORKOUT WARRIOR" and we all know how well they do in the NFL.

They wrote that before the combine they have changed their minds by now.

So the Combine, where a player has no opposition, made them change their mind that he is an underachiever who was beaten by inferior competition? If anything the Combine just validated their opinion that he is an elite athlete. Nothing more. In fact it even proves them right that he is a workout warrior.

This from a draft publication that just two weeks ago had the Dolphins picking Ryan Clady with the first overall pick. I have subscribed to their "War Room" every year and this site usually tries to have a different opinion from what most experts have. I really don't know why I waste my money every year for their "service."

Case and point...Check out their current QB rankings:

Quarterbacks
1. B. Brohm, Louisville
2. M. Ryan, Boston Coll.
3. J. Flacco, Delaware
4. C. Brennan, Hawaii
5. E. Ainge, Tennessee

DEs:

Defensive ends
1. C. Long, Va.
2. C. Campbell*, Miami (FL)
3. P. Merling*, Clemson
4. L. Jackson, USC
5. V. Gholston*, Ohio St.

The Patriots 7th pick?

<TABLE class=statTable onmouseover="rollto(event, 'dcdcdc')" style="FONT-SIZE: 11px" onclick=rollstick(event) onmouseout="rollback(event, 'ffffff')" cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3><TBODY><TR class=statTableRow style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #d6dbe0"><TD>7 (7)</TD><TD>Patriots </TD><TD><SCRIPT>showDraftIcons(7609, false, true)</SCRIPT>Quentin Groves </TD><TD>OLB </TD><TD>Auburn </TD></TR><TR class=statTableRow><TD colSpan=5>(from San Francisco) The Patriots cut OLB Rosevelt Colvin and need a replacement to rush the passer and be a force against the run. Groves has shot up draft boards because of his improved play late in his senior season and some strong pre-draft workouts.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
http://warroom.sportingnews.com/nfl/draft/2008/mockdraft/1.html

TSN is the only website, I guarantee, that has DRC rated as the #10 cornerback prospect. BTW, their 11th CB? Aqib Talib.

I picked up a copy of TNS's draft guide a couple of day ago as well.... personally, I wish I wouldn't have wasted my money! It's a complete joke!

So noticable problems with their analysis:

1. QB's - They have Brian Brohm rated as the #1 QB over Matt Ryan and have Colt Brennan listed higher than Chad Henne and Andre Woodson.

2. RB's - They have Jon Stewart rated as the #5 RB behind Ray Rice and Felix Jones. Also Matt Forte as #11 RB in 3rd round?

3. OT's - They have Ryan Clady as the #1 rated OT and Jake Long as #3 overall.

4. G's - VA's Branden Albert rated as #3 overall guard.

5. DE's - They have Vernon Gholston as the #5 rated DE going in the 2nd round.

6. DT's - Kentwan Balmer listed as #13 overall DT in the 4th round and Trevor Laws as #19 ranked DT in the 7th round. HAHAHA

7. ILB's - Dan Connor isn't listed AT ALL.... instead he's the #6 overall OLB.

8. CB's - As stated, DRC listed as #10 overall, Talib listed as #11 overall.

Again, their rankings are comical! I really believe they finalized their draft guide well before the post season games and the combine! It's not worth the paper it's printed on!

i got a question.......

are these scouts, that they talk of, working for any NFL team right now?

if not their opinion is meaningless just like ours.

JMO

Out of Athlons, Lindys, ESPN, Pro Football Weekly, and The Sporting News draft magazines last year TSN was the only one that picked Brady Quinn to fall past the 9th pick. They predicted he would go 23rd and as well all know the Browns traded back into the 1st to take him a 22. I'd say that's a pretty good analysis.

They also predicted in their Bust section that Dwayne Jarrett would be one as well as Quentin Moses (who didn't even make it out of training camp).

They also predicted Meachem would go at pick 50.

Last edited:
After Dorsey,Ellis,Long,Gholston and McFadden I think the rest of the draft is a crap-shoot anyway.Even more reason to trade up for Dorsey or Ellis.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom