The State Department’s entire senior management team just resigned (1 Viewer)

crosswatt

Gone Fishing.
Staff member
Administrator
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Exclusive: The State Department&#8217;s entire senior management team just resigned <a href="https://t.co/B6gVErDXXJ">https://t.co/B6gVErDXXJ</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/washingtonpost">@washingtonpost</a></p>&mdash; Josh Rogin (@joshrogin) <a href="https://twitter.com/joshrogin/status/824650134948605953">January 26, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Secretary of State Rex Tillerson&#8217;s job running the State Department just got considerably more difficult. The entire senior level of management officials resigned Wednesday, part of an ongoing mass exodus of senior foreign service officers who don&#8217;t want to stick around for the Trump era.

Tillerson was actually inside the State Department&#8217;s headquarters in Foggy Bottom on Wednesday, taking meetings and getting the lay of the land. I reported Wednesday morning that the Trump team was narrowing its search for his No. 2, and that it was looking to replace the State Department&#8217;s long-serving undersecretary for management, Patrick Kennedy. Kennedy, who has been in that job for nine years, was actively involved in the transition and was angling to keep that job under Tillerson, three State Department officials told me.

Then suddenly on Wednesday afternoon, Kennedy and three of his top officials resigned unexpectedly, four State Department officials confirmed. Assistant Secretary of State for Administration Joyce Anne Barr, Assistant Secretary of State for Consular Affairs Michele Bond and Ambassador Gentry O. Smith, director of the Office of Foreign Missions, followed him out the door.

not2rich

NO State of Mind
Reaction score
Yeah, I saw that earlier on WP. Not a good sign, not a good start...

PayOrPlay

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
"Resigned" may well be a euphemism for "removed," and it is the incoming administration's right to fill these spots with their own choices. But that doesn't make things any more reassuring better given the apparent lack of experienced people to replace them at a time when you have a new president and secretary without diplomatic experience.

Meanwhile the Doomsday Clock moved 30 seconds closer to midnight.

Galbreath34

Very Banned
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure resigned is the truth. Trump will probably try to spin as "fired".

NewOrleansFan

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Who needs the state department. We will just nuke everyone who we don't agree with.

Galbreath34

Very Banned
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Who needs experienced staff to smooth things over when Trump says something like "I bet we could invade Germany and make all of their manufacturing jobs ours. We might not do it, but I'm not saying we won't. I won't take things like that off the table."?

efil4stnias

Play at your own risk
Reaction score
"Resigned" may well be a euphemism for "removed," and it is the incoming administration's right to fill these spots with their own choices. But that doesn't make things any more reassuring better given the apparent lack of experienced people to replace them at a time when you have a new president and secretary without diplomatic experience.

Per the article, the Deputy Under SoS was fully involved with Trump Transition team. There is no reason to suspect hie was "removed"

This is a clear indication that these folks want nothing to do with the incoming administration.

This is really big news.

superchuck500

guarding the potatoes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score

My sense is that they did indeed resign. It could be that they were eventually going to be replaced but I doubt this was the plan. It's going to be quite a challenge to fill that kind of sudden leadership gap - I just don't see that it was something the transition wanted. Trump has been disregarding State and the notion of diplomatic tradition since elected. He has not contacted or vetted anything on the policy level with State and I'm sure it wasn't well received. These guys have careers of their own and reputations to protect.

OP

crosswatt

Gone Fishing.
Staff member
Administrator
VIP Contributor
Reaction score

Speaking in apolitical terms, it isn't a common practice. Each administration has the right to fill the director's chair with whomever they wish, but the career civil servants are quite often left alone to properly implement the new administration/director's agenda. One or two may leave, or be asked to leave, but this is, to my knowledge, a largely unprecedented situation.

OP

crosswatt

Gone Fishing.
Staff member
Administrator
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Per the article, the Deputy Under SoS was fully involved with Trump Transition team. There is no reason to suspect hie was "removed"

This is a clear indication that these folks want nothing to do with the incoming administration.

This is really big news.
And they are not going to be able to replace them either, without some pretty blatant workarounds, as there is currently a hiring freeze for all federal positions.

NewOrleansFan

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
And they are not going to be able to replace them either, without some pretty blatant workarounds, as there is currently a hiring freeze for all federal positions.
Without the workarounds, I think they can promote from within. However, they are losing a lot of experiences.

egautr1

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Just more evidence that this administration and especially Mr. Drumpf are unqualified and unfit to lead our country.

The only thing that worries me is the people who left obviously have lots of experience and seemingly have good common sense and dignity. They saw what was going on and wanted no part of it.

The scary part is, this now opens up a bunch of positions that Drumpf can fill with more of his lackeys and even more extreme people. Hopefully this is a sign to others in the gov't and around the country of how bad this administration will be and people will start to wake up to the horribleness of the situation.

OP

crosswatt

Gone Fishing.
Staff member
Administrator
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Without the workarounds, I think they can promote from within. However, they are losing a lot of experiences.
Currently, according to the guidance that we are getting, they cannot. Not surprisingly, there have been, to my count anyway, five official memorandums issued by OPM/OSD concerning this executive order already, with indications that there are still issues that will result in probably several more.

It was just a really poorly worded and thought out order, and they are still trying to fit official policy, budget requirements, and established employment law within its parameters.

Galbreath34

Very Banned
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
This spin is totally unexpected.

Top State Department officials asked to leave by Trump administration - CNNPolitics.com

"Any implication that that these four people quit is wrong," one senior State Department official said. "These people are loyal to the secretary, the President and to the State Department. There is just not any attempt here to dis the President. People are not quitting and running away in disgust. This is the White House cleaning house."

Mark Toner, the State Department's acting spokesman, said in a statement that "These positions are political appointments, and require the President to nominate and the Senate to confirm them in these roles. They are not career appointments but of limited term."
Yeah, and unicorns will be sent to everyone with their tax refunds.

WhoDatPhan78

Definitely not part of the deep state.
Reaction score
It is common practice for high level officials in the executive branch to submit their resignations when a new administration is taking over.

It's also common for the new administration to keep the people on for at least a while during the transition though.

I have no idea if these resignations are of this type, but it is possible that these are a result of the customary resignations being accepted by the Trump administration.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom