The Stock Report at Thibodaux Regional -- Mike Detillier (1 Viewer)

Dan in Lafayette

Staff member
Administrator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Greg%20StockSm_zpsjixhvd3m.jpg

Greg Stock CEO of Thibodaux Regional Medical Center

askmike.jpg

The Stock Report at Thibodaux Regional

By Mike Detillier

Since October of 1990 Greg Stock has been the CEO of Thibodaux Regional Medical Center and the growth of the hospital has been nothing short of remarkable. When Stock arrived the hospital had 40 doctors on the medical staff and now Thibodaux Regional Medical Center has over 250 doctors employed.

The hospital staff overall is over 1,100 and a new $73 million dollar state of the art Wellness Center/Sports Medical Clinic is being built next door to the hospital and is expected to be completed in the spring of 2016. The 230,000 square foot facility will be unlike any other in the state or region and it will rival any in the country.

Over a 30-day span NFL players, NFL and college coaches and former players will flock to Thibodaux to work the many camps in the area. Lardarius Webb, Anthony Levine, Jordan Mills, Peyton and Eli Manning are regulars in south Louisiana and they have been helped at their camps by former NFL players and coaches like Ed Reed, Kevin Mawae, Ed Orgeron, Archie Manning, Pete Jenkins and Kevin Faulk. In the past these camps have attracted the talents of Odell Beckham, Jr., Jarvis Landry, Russell Wilson, Andrew Luck, Sam Bradford, Andy Dalton, Zach Mettenberger, Marcus Mariota, Jameis Winston and Colin Kaepernick, and two NFL owners- who were watching their grandsons in Jerry Jones- Dallas Cowboys and Robert Kraft-New England Patriots.

Stock’s emphasis on the importance of health and wellness has drawn the hospital to be a major sponsor in sports camps during the summer and Thibodaux Regional Medical Center has been involved in numerous 7-on-7 football camps, women and men’s basketball tournaments, Lardarius Webb Youth Football Camp, the Manning Passing Academy and the Nicholls State Offensive/Defensive Linemen Camp.

“I coached a little AAU basketball at one time, and I made the right career choice to get into the health care field, but I felt we needed to get more involved with the community in the sports field,” Stock said. “We have a great staff overall and in particular as we talk about the sports field the trainers and support group we can give to these camps to make sure everyone is safe and hydrated. If someone is injured we have staff in place to aid them immediately. It is so important to get across our total commitment here at Thibodaux Regional to educate and inspire our youth to get involved in physical activities and the importance of keeping good health and having good eating habits early on in life. “

One of those former NFL players who helped at the Nicholls State Offensive/Defensive Linemen Camp was Kevin Mawae. Mawae, a former LSU great and a standout in the NFL for 16 years, was overwhelmed with the staff and support at the camp.

“This was my second year here at the Lineman’s Camp and it is like no other in the country,” said the future NFL Hall of Fame center. “Being a former offensive lineman I love to work with kids and trying to teach them just a thing or two that can enhance their game."

"I always wanted to be around the game in some fashion once I retired and this is just a truly fabulous teaching tool for these young men. My brother is helping coach at the camp and so it is a family affair. The support we get from the trainers and staff from Larry D’Antoni, Don Rodrigue and everyone at Thibodaux Regional is awesome. I got a chance to meet and speak with Greg (Stock) and I can see where their vision is coming from. I was very impressed with Stock's emphasis on these camps and the commitment to give this area world class health care. It's a remarkable achievement especially when you see that new Wellness Center. This year over 500 kids are here and I am honored to work with Nicholls State, Thibodaux Regional and Greg Stock to pull together something this large. There is nothing like this anywhere in the country for linemen.”

Stock%20and%20MawaeSM_zpszxxm1mhr.jpg

Craig Stock and Kevin Mawae

Stock says that the camps like the Nicholls State Offensive/Defensive Linemen Camp help the area in so many ways and the training staff from The Sports Medicine Center are a big part of the success.

“These camps are a support for the entire area,” Stock said. “Because these camps pull players and their parents from this region as well as states from across the country and this is a great economic help during the summer months for our area. It’s well known the quality of these camps. What we do to support the camps with our trainers and staff has to be done at the very highest level. The coaches and players that choose to come here are some of the best in the world, so it’s the type of event we really like to support and we emphasize doing a high quality job for the high school athlete and also the world class athlete.”

Former LSU defensive line coach Pete Jenkins is regarded as one of the premier defensive line coaches ever and the fiery old coach says that the camp could not function without a great support staff like what they have at Thibodaux Regional and Nicholls State.

“I have been so fortunate in my coaching career because I have coached under some great coaches like Nick Saban, Bill Arnsparger, Ed Orgeron at USC and Andy Reid and I know coaching, the coaches here are well versed in fundamentals and we have assistant coaches from the Kansas City Chiefs, New England Patriots, and some outstanding high school coaches, but we don’t know every little detail of making sure each of these young men get the proper food, proper hydration, the cool down process of practicing in this heat and it isn’t cool anywhere in Louisiana in June,” Jenkins said. “While they are young and can bounce back quickly, it is something we have to pay great attention to. Thibodaux Regional has been a blessing in helping us. Nicholls State is a special place, but it’s special because of the people and we are blessed to have the folks from Thibodaux Regional here to help us and we wouldn’t have them without the support of Greg Stock. I can’t thank them enough for their help with the players and also with the coaches.”

While many of these camps are focused on male athletes Stock has put great emphasis on women’s sports and also women related health issues at Thibodaux Regional.

“When it comes to sports and athletic activities, females face unique challenges compared to their male counterparts,” Stock said. “Exhaustive research has been done to tie specific injuries to hormonal and chemical variations, anatomical differences and in some instances developmental alterations. Our hospital is committed to improving the health and wellness of the female athlete and women who want a better quality of life and health through education, training and conditioning sessions. What we want to do here is to develop programs to stress the importance of nutrition and exercise. Everyone wants to spend as much time as we can with our friends and family and it is just not a physical part of living longer, but it is also the positive nature from a mental standpoint also.”

Fox Sports reporter and New Orleans Pelicans sideline reporter Jennifer Hale commented on the impact of the many camps in south Louisiana and the involvement of Thibodaux Regional Medical Center.

“Everyone looks so forward to the summer football camps on the bayou,” said Hale, the woman’s spokesperson for Thibodaux Regional Medical Center. “They are always an off-season highlight both to watch the kids learn the game better and it also gives the coaches a chance to evaluate the next generation of talent.

It’s just amazing to me to see how many current NFL and college players and coaches, along with a host of former players and coaches that are actively involved with these camps. I got involved with Thibodaux Regional because of the great emphasis they placed on issues involving women and certainly I have ties to the sports world also. Thibodaux Regional Medical Center with the leadership of Greg Stock has become a fixture in helping fund and organize these camps. The push here at the hospital to educate and inspire young women to keep themselves in good physical condition and the buzz for these camps are not just in the southern part of the state, but it is something noted across the country.”

Stock points out his philosophy on helping the camps and also organize and oversee the hospital is a lot like sports.

“At Thibodaux Regional we want to bring in the best, the brightest and most talented. It is why we have been voted at the very top for patient care here at Thibodaux Regional. We are one of the elite in the country in patient care and we take great pride in that. It’s about the people we hire and the organizations we help support. My belief is that you strive for perfection and realistically you will never get it, but you touch some greatness along the way. The athletes want to be the very best and give the very best of what they have and we have that same goal.”

Follow Mike on Twitter at @MikeDetillier

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom