The stupids thing you have seen a game design team do (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
I found mine today. The Rub of Khali section of Uncharted 3. I have been passing time on older games. I never played this series. I was enjoying the game ok despite some sloppy programming and bad glitches. But then I hit this part.

i get the attempt to make a player get the tension of being in an atmosphere but they really should have tested the playability and if having a tedious thing like that would make a player just stop. Not out of frustration but just because there is no longer any escapism involved.

what have you come across that ground your gears to a vault?

played through fallout 4 again as well. And was enjoying that because I avoided main story and going to the institute. When I got back I just quit. It’s just plain boring. Running around a sterile uninteresting environment because the mission has instructed me to talk to each department head.

Update it was another damn glitch. I reset it. On 3 occasions triggers just didn’t start in the game leaving me just walking around thinking I was just missing a solution. Maybe it’s only a remastered issue but it’s fairly freaking major as a turnofff.

Conclusion: nobody but me is playing video games anymore. It’s a solid hypothesis

I don't know if it's so much that as it's that nobody is coming here anymore.

As far as Uncharted 3, it's been a really long time since I played it so I don't really recall the level you are talking about based on name only. But, I don't recall any major glitches when I played it.

But, to answer your question, after spending 3 years getting Destiny to the point that everyone agreed that it was great, Bungie tore Destiny apart and created a much worse game with the release of Destiny 2 that ignored all of the lessons learned in 3 years of Destiny.

I don't know if it's so much that as it's that nobody is coming here anymore.

As far as Uncharted 3, it's been a really long time since I played it so I don't really recall the level you are talking about based on name only. But, I don't recall any major glitches when I played it.

must have just been the updated one then. I finally got through it at least. I’ve just been killing time since Last if Us 2 keeps getting bumped.

must have just been the updated one then. I finally got through it at least. I’ve just been killing time since Last if Us 2 keeps getting bumped.

I went to replay The Last of Us to make sure the storyline and everything was fresh on my mind for when the new game comes out. Popped the remastered disc into the PS4, go everything going and bam, my PS4 gives me an error and ejects the disc. I've been playing digital versions of games for so long that I don't know how long my system has had this problem. Any disc I put in, about 30 seconds later it automatically ejects. I've gone through all the solutions that Sony has offered. I've now gone on to various youtube videos about tightening screws and so on. But then I lost interest and went back to whatever else I had on the system while also waiting on Last of Us 2.

I went to replay The Last of Us to make sure the storyline and everything was fresh on my mind for when the new game comes out. Popped the remastered disc into the PS4, go everything going and bam, my PS4 gives me an error and ejects the disc. I've been playing digital versions of games for so long that I don't know how long my system has had this problem. Any disc I put in, about 30 seconds later it automatically ejects. I've gone through all the solutions that Sony has offered. I've now gone on to various youtube videos about tightening screws and so on. But then I lost interest and went back to whatever else I had on the system while also waiting on Last of Us 2.

damn that sucks. Seems like if they just asked you to show proof you own the disk they should give you digital rights. I think apple does something similar with music. But I suppose they have to have some motivation to get beyond the normal corporate greed pattern.

i just finished playing the Ezio Collection of Assassin's Creed(AC2, Brotherhood & Revelations) and man, the game mechanics have not aged well...i don't know if was due to tech being limited but there was a lot of jankiness

but the one thing that stood out to me the most was that i couldn't skip the credits at the end of each game :mad:

a more recent game that had some dumb design was the Spider-Man game for ps4...the sections where you play as Maryjane and Miles were just awful and really disrupted the flow of an otherwise fairly decent game

I did go back and play Xcom 2 all the way through. If you want to talk about busted game mechanics, look no further than that game. Line of sight issues being one of the largest. I still to this day don't understand how an alien can see my soldiers through a wall and shoot them, but I can't do the same. The natural pathing issues were also kind of odd. You could manually force your soldier to go a certain path, but if you just picked a spot, sometimes they'd take the most outrageous path to get there. Jumping through windows, climbing up and then back down a building etc. And I won't even get started on the percentage to hit stuff. I mean, I get that if it says you have a 99% chance to hit, that its still possible to miss. But come on.

I did go back and play Xcom 2 all the way through. If you want to talk about busted game mechanics, look no further than that game. Line of sight issues being one of the largest. I still to this day don't understand how an alien can see my soldiers through a wall and shoot them, but I can't do the same. The natural pathing issues were also kind of odd. You could manually force your soldier to go a certain path, but if you just picked a spot, sometimes they'd take the most outrageous path to get there. Jumping through windows, climbing up and then back down a building etc. And I won't even get started on the percentage to hit stuff. I mean, I get that if it says you have a 99% chance to hit, that its still possible to miss. But come on.

Xcom 2 is seriously glitched. I finally got to a point where the whole thing crashed no matter what I did, and I just gave up.

But, to answer your question, after spending 3 years getting Destiny to the point that everyone agreed that it was great, Bungie tore Destiny apart and created a much worse game with the release of Destiny 2 that ignored all of the lessons learned in 3 years of Destiny.

yeah but Trials is back :shrug:

stupid things from game designers... releasing 60 dollar games in an alpha state, then having you test it for them for 3 years while they finally complete the game and charge you another 60 bucks along the way for "more content"... Either release it for 120 when its done or call it what it is... early access.

The swimming levels in the NES Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles game and the swimming in jet force Gemini was the worst swimming mechanics I've ever seen

I think the real conclusion for me is just that Naughty Dog is a sloppy developer. Creativity A+. Playability and quality control F. I’ve played the three first in the Uncharted series now and all are glitchy and have major issues besides just glitches.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom