The Super-official Draft Mac Jones 2021 thread (1 Viewer)

I look forward to watching him play in the tournament.

Anybody heard anything from Mike Detillier on Mac Jones? I’d be interested in hearing his take.

A ridiculous take.

He's the most pro ready prospect in this draft. Best deep ball passer in the draft. Trevor would only dream to have his accuracy.
Lawrence is actually very accurate and has great mechanics.

Especially mid-range.

His arm just isn't as strong as Jones's

I can't think of any other Bama QB's in modern history that went in the first round. I think AJ McCarron went 5th or 6th round. They had another guy a few years before him that went in the mid to late rounds as well. Then you have Hurts who transfered to Oklahoma his Sr season then was drafted in the 2nd round. Bama, like LSU hasn't been known for it's QB development but as bad as LSU has been they've sent more guys to the pros. JaMarcus Russel which was probably the worst draft pick in history. I wouldn't have drafted him at all, let along with the first overall. Mettenberger went in the mide to late rounds. Then guys like Flynn hung around the NFL a long time as a backup.

Even Etling hung around a bit as a backup QB and it looks like now he's making the conversion from QB to WR.

Major, major flaws in the comp of Mac Jones to Joe Burrow. The passing schemes they’re running are night and day. Joe Burrow’s arm is not what made him the easy #1 overall pick. His arm was plenty plenty good enough, but it was the anticipatory throws, the consistent accuracy, and the ability to make quick reads and throw the ball to where they weren’t that made Burrow an incredible draft prospect.

Like I’ve said in other threads, it’s not that I’m saying Mac definitely can’t be Burrow, I’m saying he hasn’t worked inside an offense that requires that same maturity as a passer at all three levels. Go watch Alabama’s offense.. You’re not going to see complexity in play design. You’re going see defenses pick their poison against the outside options (slant heavy, back shoulder/fade heavy), get burnt up the seam, or play with cushion and heavy drop zones while they let Najee toast them on the ground.

Mac Jones throws a pretty ball, but what is asked of him in the Alabama offense demands nowhere near the autonomy that Joe Burrow had in that LSU offense last season. The scheme just doesn’t ask that much out of Mac, nor did it ever ask that much out of Tua. I’ve said before, if there’s a QB that is making the quick reads at a high level and doing the Burrow-like things in this class - it’s Kyle Trask.. He is not as consistently accurate as Burrow was, but watching Florida tape & Alabama tape you will see way more being demanded of Trask between the ears. He’s a better prospect to me than Mac Jones.

My fear with Jones is the same fear I have with a lot of OSU QBs. The talent gap is so massive that an average QB will look like a monster on these teams. I like seeing how QBs do under heavy pressure while getting beat up in the process. I want to see how they respond when they are forced to make 3rd and 4th reads in their progression with pressure in their face.

Jones has some nice tools and could very well end up being a good pro QB, but I’m waiting for a team that can get in his face with some consistency and force him to make decisions under pressure.
Besides haskins, what OSU qb was highly touted??? Haskins is the only Qb i can ever think of that was projected top 3 rounds

Edit: or do u mean oklahoma state??

PFF on Mac Jones's deep ball accuracy 11/4/20:

Mac Jones
Jones is PFF’s highest-rated quarterback in the nation. Treash points out Jones has been one of the better deep-ball passers. He leads the SEC with 15 big-time throws on targets of 20-plus yards downfield with only one turnover-worthy play on those throws.

“Solely on this year and not NFL future, he is probably the best quarterback in college football, performance-wise up to this point,” Treash said.

“(Clemson’s) Trevor Lawrence has been Trevor Lawrence. (Ohio State’s) Justin Fields has been Justin Fields, but Mac Jones - I know he has a great supporting cast at Alabama - has been pin-point accurate downfield. His ball placement has been superb. His lowest graded game this year has been an 82.6 That would be most quarterbacks best grade of the year.”

I'm surprised you're able to type these messages with your hands so full of Mr. Jones.

Last edited:
I’ve only seen him play once this year. It looked like he benefitted from really good receivers to me. When he had to throw to someone that wasn’t wide open by 10 yards he struggled.

New CBS mock has him going 26th overall and honestly I think that his, footwork, mechanics, arm strength and accuracy is even more impressive than Trevor Lawrence.

Pff's accuracy score even backs this up.

The thing that made Brees the best passer of all time was his tremendous accuracy and footwork and mack has that in spades.

He is the only rookie that I give a chance to unseating Winston.

I like the fact he plays in the SEC. And he also worked his tail off, similar to Burrow, to get where he is currently, but even if it was for only one season!

I’ve only seen him play once this year. It looked like he benefitted from really good receivers to me. When he had to throw to someone that wasn’t wide open by 10 yards he struggled.
Then you are honest, in saying that you only got to see him play once. He is deadly on all accounts. Go watch some youtube videos of him.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom