The Superdome: Why it's important to Louisiana, Sports fans and it's connection with the nation. (1 Viewer)

I can easily see why they are saying Qualcomm needs $800M in order to be able to support a Super Bowl. I live about a quarter mile and go there frequently for events. It has to be one of the WORST stadiums I have EVER stepped foot in. I went two years ago to the Saints play the Chargers....the game we got our butts kicked! It rained that day (quite the rarity for San Diego) and there was water almost a foot deep in the lower corridors...I kid you not! The sounds system is horrible at best. The best part of the stadium is the parking lot...tailgating is WAY cool there. Other than that....the best thing they could do is tear that thing down and start from scratch. The Superdome at its worst was better than Qualcomm.

I do believe if we get a long term deal worked out with the State, we will put a bid in for the Super Bowl. I have no doubt that part of that bid will be a plan for further improvements, contingent upon our selection, for upgrades of the current dome. I really think that if we ever were to get another Super Bowl, the NFL "wants" at least one more time in the Dome....if for nothing else than a nostalgia thing.

1) Superbowls have been given to cities with 'new' stadiums as a reward for taxpayers being suckers.
2) The NFL is waiting for the Saints to sign a long term deal with the state. (See #1)
3) The city and the team haven't asked.

The biggest reason is #1. You should know this by now...

pucker up

Ive driven right by the Dallas Stadium. It is in arlington, easily reached by the various loops. Not hard to get there at all. Its also next to a lot of good restaurants and attractions in downtown Arlington. If only the cowboys werent the team there Id almost consider attending a few games.

Good restaurants? I guess if you like Humperdink's, Bennigan's and Texas Land and Cattle. :shrug:

Kudos to Arlington, but Dallas screwed itself on this one.

Good restaurants? I guess if you like Humperdink's, Bennigan's and Texas Land and Cattle. :shrug:

Kudos to Arlington, but Dallas screwed itself on this one.
I forget which place I ate at but it was right down the road and very good food. In any case, the city of Arlington is a very nice place to have a stadium IMO. Pity on the team that occupies it.

Thanks for bringing this thread back, i still stand by most of my thoughts about whether N.O will ever host another Superbowl if they continue to play in the Superdome, but im starting to think now that the League actually want to come back to the Superdome and that explains why they were/are seriously involved in helping the State land a Long term Deal with the Saints and have invested League money into the Renovation efforts in the Superdome..

I think a few Renovations will buy us a couple of more Superbowls, but you guys have to believe that the Superdome isn't going to always be that exciting place all the time, eventually one of these newer state of the art stadiums are going to take the Superdome Shine away, one day a City is going to put a state of the art stadium in a perfect location downtown and take over (HOPEFULLY NOT LAS VEGAS IF THEY ARE EVER AWARDED A TEAM!!).

Im hoping they can still use the location or most of the dome fixture to create a newer style of some sort, make it retractable and turn the flat iron plates on the side into Bird nest beams and glass or something lol.

And that Ugly NBA Arena need to be moved or redesigned.

Thanks for bringing this thread back, i still stand by most of my thoughts about whether N.O will ever host another Superbowl if they continue to play in the Superdome, but im starting to think now that the League actually want to come back to the Superdome and that explains why they were/are seriously involved in helping the State land a Long term Deal with the Saints and have invested League money into the Renovation efforts in the Superdome..

I think a few Renovations will buy us a couple of more Superbowls, but you guys have to believe that the Superdome isn't going to always be that exciting place all the time, eventually one of these newer state of the art stadiums are going to take the Superdome Shine away, one day a City is going to put a state of the art stadium in a perfect location downtown and take over (HOPEFULLY NOT LAS VEGAS IF THEY ARE EVER AWARDED A TEAM!!).

Im hoping they can still use the location or most of the dome fixture to create a newer style of some sort, make it retractable and turn the flat iron plates on the side into Bird nest beams and glass or something lol.

And that Ugly NBA Arena need to be moved or redesigned.

yeah,,,I'm with you on this.. But I think we will only get one more Super Bowl in the Dome just as a goodwill jesture by the NFL. But after that, no more until a new stadium.

after seeing the staduim in arizona in person we nee a new place. maybe if they took the superdome and kept the "dome" part, keep the top and the skirt at the bottom and replace the siding with windows. just open it up and let some light in. that was the thing about the arizona staduim that was so cool. you were inside but it felt like being outside.

after seeing the staduim in arizona in person we nee a new place. maybe if they took the superdome and kept the "dome" part, keep the top and the skirt at the bottom and replace the siding with windows. just open it up and let some light in. that was the thing about the arizona staduim that was so cool. you were inside but it felt like being outside.

Outside is hot and there are mosquitoes. It's Louisiana for christ's sake.

After thinking about the Retractable Stadium thing for a min with some friends at a sit down, i've decided it wouldn't be a smart idea to convert the Dome into a Retractable top, Nor would it be smart to put a brand new retractable stadium anywhere near Burbon street or the River.

Thinking about the Odors that would find it's way in the stadium i don't think it would be a good idea, the only alternative is having a stadium in another parish not close to the Gulf or the River, but then that would defeat the point of a new Stadium for Superbowl purposes, the only reason New Orleans even got so many Superbowls is because mainly it's location, it's in one of the most perfect locations any city could ever dream of having a stadium.

I say Just make some renovations to the outside, use some glass and paint or something and put a tailgating park in front or on the side of it and let the Dome Live for another 30 years.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom