The Superdome: Why it's important to Louisiana, Sports fans and it's connection with the nation. (1 Viewer)

dninc

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Superdome Facts

- Opened- August 1975
- Reopening- Sept. 25, 2006, New Orleans Saints vs. Atlanta Falcons
- Last event prior to Hurricane Katrina- Aug. 26, 2005, New Orleans Saints vs.
Baltimore Ravens (preseason game)

Superdome Superlatives—A National Landmark

- World record for an indoor concert-87,500 for the Rolling Stones in 1981
- More Super Bowls than any other stadium, six, including Super Bowl XII (1978), XV (1981), XX (1986), XXIV (1990), XXXI (1997), and XXXVI (2002)
- Four NCAA Basketball Final Fours (1982,1987,1993,2003)
- Four NCAA Basketball Division I Regionals (1981,1990,1999,2001)

Legendary Moments

- George Bush nominated for reelection at 1988 Republican National Convention
- Pope John Paul II addressed 80,000 school children in 1987
- Alabama beat Penn State 13-6 in first Sugar Bowl game in Superdome in 1976
- Grambling’s Eddie Robinson coached his final game in 1997 Bayou Classic
- Muhammad Ali defeated Leon Spinks before 65,000 in 1978
- Sugar Ray Leonard defeated Roberto Duran in “No Mas” fight in 1980
- Pistol Pete Maravich & New Orleans Jazz set NBA crowd mark of 35,077 in 1977
- LSU-Notre Dame basketball game in 1980 sets NCAA record attendance of 68,112
- Tulane rolls to perfect 12-0 season in 1998; goes 6-0 in Superdome
- #2 LSU defeats #1 Oklahoma 21-14 to win college football national title in 2004
- Saints defeat Falcons 23-3 in first game after Hurricane Katrina on Sept. 25, 2006
- Saints beat Eagles 27-24 to advance to NFC championship game first time in history on Jan. 13, 2007

Home of Major Annual Sports Events

- New Orleans Saints (NFL Football)
- Tulane University (NCAA Division I, Conference USA Football)
- Allstate Sugar Bowl Classic (NCAA Division I Football)
- State Farm Bayou Classic (Southern U. vs. Grambling State Football)
- R+L Carriers New Orleans Bowl (NCAA Division I Football)
- State Farm Prep Classic (State High School Football Championships)

Other Major Annual Events

- Endymion Extravaganza Mardi Gras Parade and Party
- Essence Music Festival
- New Orleans Home and Garden Show
- U.S. Hot Rod Assn. Grand Slam Motor Jam
- Times Picayune Christmas Doll & Toy Fund Distribution
- Allstate Sugar Bowl Mardi Gras Marathon

Superdome Statistics

- Maximum seating capacity- football 68,500, expanded football 71,000, concerts 15,000-85,000, basketball 20,000-65,000
- Total land area- 52 acres (building, garages, and grounds)
- Height- 273 feet (82.3 meters); diameter of Dome- 680 feet (210 meters)
- Area of roof – 9.7 acres; 440,000 sq. ft.
- Main arena floor- 166,180 sq. feet
- Air conditioning- 9,000 tons
- Club Lounges—4 rooms, approx. 20,000 sq. ft. each
- Artificial turf- Momentum 51 by SportExe, total of 121,412 sq. ft., newly installed each season.

Superdome Storylines

Three Post-Season Games: Another First for Superdome and the City.....Leading the “league” in hosting Super Bowls (6) and Final Fours (4), New Orleans and the Superdome will now become the first to have three major college bowl games at the end of the same season: The R+L Carriers New Orleans Bowl Friday, Dec. 21, 2007; the Allstate Sugar Bowl Football Classic Tuesday, Jan. 1, 2008; the BCS Championship Game Monday, Jan. 7, 2008.

Dome Reopening a Significant Date in City’s History....The reopening of the Superdome, Sept. 25, 2006, is a significant date in the history of New Orleans, symbolizing the resolve of our citizens to rebuild, and resuming the Dome’s impact on the region’s business. The Saints defeated the Atlanta Falcons on Monday Night Football that memorable night. The team’s first 2007 home regular season game was also on Monday Night Football the night before the anniversary, Sept. 24, against the Tennessee Titans.

Superdome, Teams a Rallying Point for Citizens.....While many were faced with rebuilding their homes and businesses, the fans quickly showed they want their quality of life back, with early sellouts for the Saints, the Allstate Sugar Bowl and the BCS Championship and huge crowds for other sports events.

Superdome is the State’s Most Recognizable Landmark.....From the tragic views of the torn roof to the sparkling new look outside and inside, the Superdome has become the most recognizable landmark in Louisiana. Its lasting architectural appeal and its location on the threshold of downtown New Orleans make it an icon among the great edifices in the nation.

Not Yo’ Mama’s Superdome.....It’s a newer, brighter Superdome with numerous exciting features.....The State took advantage of the down time for repairs to add $59 million in upgrades throughout the building, including new scoreboards and video boards, new concession stands, a new sound system, and major upgrades to the box suites and club lounges.

And It Keeps Getting Better.....The Dome was “football ready” for the Sept. 25, 2006 reopening, with all of the essentials in place for a game.....Meanwhile work on Phase 2 of the rebuilding and upgrades was substantially completed for the first preseason game on Aug. 10, 2007; finishing the new interiors of the 137 box suites and completing spectacular upgrades to the four 20,000-sq. ft. club rooms. After the 2007 season, still more improvements are planned, including full replacement of the aluminum skin on the sides of the Superdome, windows in the club lounges and new elevators providing access from outside.

Absolutely. This isn't college where tradition rules and big boosters can influence a university to keep playing in a dump of a stadium (like most of the stadiums in the SEC). In the NFL, newer is always better, and a state of the art stadium won't stay that way for more than 20-25 years, at the most. The Superdome's prime is long, long past, and we haven't won nearly enough games there for it to be hallowed by some sort of sacred tradition.

>> - The Superdome will never host another superbowl (and I love the dome I am not saying this out of hate)

I love seeing people continue to say this. I am going to LOVE it when the state and the Saints reach a new deal and the 2013 or 2014 Superbowl is awarded to New Orleans.

Well, basically there is a problem. There isn't another prime location for another stadium, and there isn't a place to play in the mean time if you decide to close it down for a year to demolish and rebuild.

Well, basically there is a problem. There isn't another prime location for another stadium, and there isn't a place to play in the mean time if you decide to close it down for a year to demolish and rebuild.

Sure there is...those projects that are closed and going to be torn down on Orleans Ave and Claiborne. That area is big enough and it's also walking distance to the french quarter and downtown.

Perhaps you can help me here because I have asked the question time and time again and it gets ignored, but specifically what would a new stadium offer for a Superbowl that the Superdome doesn't?

440,000 sq. ft. (9.7 acres) of roof fully replaced
10,463 pieces of steel decking on roof
500,000 gallons of polyurethane foam sprayed on roof
20,000 gallons (five coats) of urethane outer coating on roof, total 46 mil thick
750,000 sq. ft. of sheetrock (45% of total in building) replaced
800,000 sq. ft. of ceiling tile (80% of the total) replaced
60,000 sq. ft. of artificial turf (100% of total) replaced
1.6 million sq. ft. of carpeting (95% of total in building) removed
500,000 gallons of epoxy flooring in ramps and concourses
58,000 seats cleaned; 10,000 damaged seats replaced (total is 72,000 in building including 4,000 new Club Level sideline seats).
New video board-scoreboard-message board system
Complete remodeling of 38 permanent concessions stands and all 3 kitchens
Upgrading 8,000 Club Level sideline seats and 4,000 Box Suite seats
Fully remodeled 137 suites and 4 Club Lounges
New sound system and half the place was rewired
Installation of new exterior "skin"
Installation of exterior windows in the Club Lounges

A lot of the improvements have benefited Benson directly as designed. They now charge more for the new leather seated club areas. The ribbons allow for ad revenue paid to the Saints. Improvements to the concession areas increased efficiency and storage. Of the $200 million dollars to be spent, $15 million was from the NFL. I don't think the NFL is going to invest that substantial of a sum in a facility that's as outdated as you and others claim. Also, I do enjoy how you turn up your nose at "cosmetic" changes made to the Superdome and then attempt to make a justification for what amounts to one big cosmetic change (ie. new stadium). Structurally, the Superdome is as sound as any NFL stadium out there.

Last edited:
>> - The Superdome will never host another superbowl (and I love the dome I am not saying this out of hate)

I love seeing people continue to say this. I am going to LOVE it when the state and the Saints reach a new deal and the 2013 or 2014 Superbowl is awarded to New Orleans.

:plus-un2: You can have the most state of the art stadium in Cleveland, Minnesota, Indianapolis but who really wants to go there for the Superbowl. On the other hand you could have a completely remodeled Superdome in the heart of NOLA, walking distance from enough hotel rooms, plenty of world class restaurants, Bourbon street, etc. etc.

So the argument for a new stadium is that it's new and the Superdome is not? Chances are very good that a new stadium would still not rank with the new Dallas Stadium or Reliant Stadium and if that's the case, it would rank right with the Superdome.

You don't make your case very well, Crzycjunx76...
:plus-un2: You can have the most state of the art stadium in Cleveland, Minnesota, Indianapolis but who really wants to go there for the Superbowl. On the other hand you could have a completely remodeled Superdome in the heart of NOLA, walking distance from enough hotel rooms, plenty of world class restaurants, Bourbon street, etc. etc.
Thank you. What are the three rules of real estate?

1) Location
2) Location
3) Location

So the argument for a new stadium is that it's new and the Superdome is not? Chances are very good that a new stadium would still not rank with the new Dallas Stadium or Reliant Stadium and if that's the case, it would rank right with the Superdome.

You don't make your case very well, Crzycjunx76...Thank you. What are the three rules of real estate?

1) Location
2) Location
3) Location
I completely agree. I have never been to the Dome, but watching on TV I love it. It has a great atmosphere and the location of the stadium right in the heart of the city is great.
It's when you read that the new Cowboys stadium is going to be around 20 miles from the center of Dallas that you can really appreciate that the Dome is so close.

I have fond memories of the superdome myself,but that doesn't mean we can't go on with another stadium if thats what the franchise needs.There is no doubt though that its in a great location and I wish there was some solution.The best case scenario would be to build a new stadium or dome where the superdome is but how long would that take and where would we play in the meantime.If we had to build a new stadium at a different location it would be in our best interest to build some sort of trolley or shuttle rail system straight to the quarter.I know thats a lot of money and perhaps I'm just dreaming.

I dont think that Jacksonville will be in the rotation again. The city and the layout and planning absolutely got blasted by the national media.

It is very unlikely that Jacksonville will ever be considered. That was a disaster. They had to bring cruise ships in add rooms to the area because it lacks the hotel space to accommodate such a large event. It will be held in Green Bay before it is held in Jacksonville again. If history is any indication, New Orleans, Miami, San Diego and Pasadena are the preferred venues to host a Superbowl. I would like to point out about those cities are that they have hosted numerous Superbowls when there have been better venues. The facility is maybe the fifth most important thing on the list of qualifications to host a Superbowl.

Superbowls have been awarded to new stadiums (or in Jacksonville's case, newly renovated) to entice tax payers to approve the funds needed to build the stadium. In other words, cities have paid for them. In return, they have been disasters.

You entire argument is based on speculation. No one has come out and said anything remotely to what you're stating. Even if they want to be publicly secretive about it, they will let the powers that be know who would in turn let us know. That's just not happening.

Again I ask, what is it specifically that these stadiums provide that the Superdome doesn't? I am open to be convinced, but "because they're shiny" is not a legitimate argument.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom