The Taysom Hill deal was for 21 million dollars! (1 Viewer)

9-10 per year is what I expected him to get all along. It's a fair deal if you add up what you'd pay a QB3, TE3, WR4, and special teams ace.

I expected a longer deal, however. Lol at the notion that two years is some kind of commitment. It's the literal exact opposite of that.
The deal was never expected to be longer than 2-3 years from what I heard because the Saints want to give themselves the opportunity to get out from underneath Hill if things go wrong. The other thing is this deal, as it is set up, is really a one-year deal.

I don't get the people who think Taysom could be our future starting QB. He has not shown any ability whatsoever to be a starting QB in the NFL.

It’s almost as if our coach has said “Taysom is our QB of the future” about 14 times over the past season.

9-10 per year is what I expected him to get all along. It's a fair deal if you add up what you'd pay a QB3, TE3, WR4, and special teams ace.

I expected a longer deal, however. Lol at the notion that two years is some kind of commitment. It's the literal exact opposite of that.

Yeah, which largely benefits the Saints.

It will give him a full year to prove he’s a franchise QB before we have to actually pay him like one (unless Jameis impresses and they give it to him).

How much do we have tied up in the QB position now?

I don't get the people who think Taysom could be our future starting QB. He has not shown any ability whatsoever to be a starting QB in the NFL.
He hasn’t shown it as much as he has not not shown it. It’s not something we can judge from our TV screens running BS preseason offence

1. It shows that the commitment is still there for Taysom to be the man.
2. It keeps under contract for two years rather than forcing us to have to make a move at the position next year.
3. It allows us to get out after two years should he prove himself incapable of being the man at quarterback.

Yep. Good deal for both sides. Taysom gets some money, including a big bump next year when he might be the starting QB, and a chance to prove to the Saints and other teams that he can play QB. The Saints get their Swiss Army knife at a good price this year and a good price on a starting QB for next year, with a chance to see if he really is a starting QB before they have to commit big money to him long term.

So we essentially paid Hill $16.4 million for the 2021 season.

That tells me they are indeed planning to have him take over as QB after Drew retires.

I disagree. Those are minimum type contracts. He was the 8th lowest snap count last year and now the 2nd highest paid skill position player.

For this to be worth the money he either needs to start at QB in 2021 or be on the field a ton more.

Snap Counts:

Michael Thomas
942​
Josh Hill
649​
Alvin Kamara
626​
Ted Ginn
607​
Jared Cook
502​
Tre'Quan Smith
458​
Latavius Murray
434​
Taysom Hill
241​

How much do we have tied up in the QB position now?

You obviously can’t consider that much of Hill’s money to be QB, at least not for 2020. He likely won’t play that much QB.

You’re getting all of the rest of what Hill brings for that money.

So we essentially paid Hill $16.4 million for the 2021 season.

That tells me they are indeed planning to have him take over as QB after Drew retires.
They also signed a traditional QB who is much better than a Chase Daniel type of backup. This debate ain't over

I disagree. Those are minimum type contracts. He was the 8th lowest snap count last year and now the 2nd highest paid skill position player.

For this to be worth the money he either needs to start at QB in 2021 or be on the field a ton more.

Snap Counts:

Michael Thomas
942​
Josh Hill
649​
Alvin Kamara
626​
Ted Ginn
607​
Jared Cook
502​
Tre'Quan Smith
458​
Latavius Murray
434​
Taysom Hill
241​

Exactly. Those snap counts putshim at wr4/te3 like I mentioned. So 2 mill or so for wr4, another 2 for te3, couple for qb3, and 3-4 mill for special teams ace. Puts his value at 9-10mm. Which is what this contract pays him.

He's going to be our franchise QB once Drew retires... In many of our games last season, he was the best player on the field and it was obvious... I'm not sure what more some of you guys need to see. He literally excels at everything he's been asked to do, and he does all it it with the confidence and swagger of a franchise player. Why would it be any different when he lines up under center full time at some point? If fact, why wouldn't he be even better given more opportunities and experience? Look I get it, we've been somewhat spoiled here by watching one of the best to ever do it here for a long time. But Taysom will be given the keys to the car after Brees is done... and when he does... like with most Franchise QB's on their first real contract... $10.5 million a season will seem like a bargain.... and in 2022... we'll be discussing how much his next deal will kill us for.

Exactly. Those snap counts putshim at wr4/te3 like I mentioned. So 2 mill or so for wr4, another 2 for te3, couple for qb3, and 3-4 mill for special teams ace. Puts his value at 9-10mm.

He may play multiple roles but he's not filling the snaps of all those roles. Secondly most of those postions would be on minimum or rookie contracts, so 0.6-1 mil. A 10mil player should be giving you at least top 4-5 snaps.

He's going to be our franchise QB once Drew retires... In many of our games last season, he was the best player on the field and it was obvious... I'm not sure what more some of you guys need to see. He literally excels at everything he's been asked to do, and he does all it it with the confidence and swagger of a franchise player. Why would it be any different when he lines up under center full time at some point? If fact, why wouldn't he be even better given more opportunistic and experience? Look I get it, we've been somewhat spoiled here by watching one of the best to ever do it here for a long time. But Taysom will be given the keys to the car after Brees is done... and when he does... like with most Franchise QB's on their first real contract... $10.5 million a season will seem like a bargain.... and in 2022... we'll be discussing how much his next deal will kill us for.
I would have believed your position before signing Winston but now I don't know what SP is planning. TH still has not proven he can run the offense like Drew, so we will see.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom