The Ten Best Saints Tight Ends (1 Viewer)

For a team dating back to the 60s, we do have terrible TEs most of our history. Other than JG when he was here, I can't think of any very good TEs we have ever.
Henry Childs, was likely the first great, consistent TE in Saints history up until that point. Jeremy Shockey had a few decent-to-good seasons here, but by the time he arrived here from New York, he had just recovered from a bad ACL injury, and his best days were sort of behind him. From 2002-midway through 2007 season, Shockey was likely the NFL's best overall TE, alongside Antonio Gates and I think if he hadn't suffered his season-ending injury in 2007, and continues playing at a high level, he's probably in HOF, right now.

Wesley Walls doesn't have his outstanding career here in New Orleans that he ended up having in Carolina from the mid-90's-early 2000'w. He saw the preliminary handwriting on the wall for the Mora regime a year earlier and knew it would be more beneficial for the success of his career if he decided to sign as a FA with an up-and-coming, young and talented Carolina Panthers team. Ben Watson and Jared Cook both extended their respective careers by being apart of some very good, prolific passing offenses helmed by a future HOF QB.

Last edited:
The OP has a pretty good list. Not sure Fleener deserves an honorable mention, but that’s my only true quibble. Other than that, not much to argue about.

I wish I knew more about Childs, Brenner and Seal cause I think Watson should be higher. Those 3 were a little before my time. List looks good but Fleener doesn’t deserve an honorable mention.
Can’t speak to Seal or Childs (before my time). But Brenner was essentially like an extra Tackle on the field. During his career, the Saints didn’t throw much to TEs, but he was capable in that regard as well. But blocking was his bread n butter.

For a team dating back to the 60s, we do have terrible TEs most of our history. Other than JG when he was here, I can't think of any very good TEs we have ever.
Tight Ends didn’t really begin to become a glamour position until the mid-90s. Since then, Graham is far and away the only superstar we’ve had in that spot. But we’ve had a few guys who were a handful. Besides Shockey and Watson, I remember Wesley Walls being quite a force during the brief time he was here. Then he went to Carolina and balled out (of course).

Definitely. Five productive seasons from 68-72. He was the first overall pick in 1964 by the Niners. Three pro-bowls in 65, 66, 67 and then got shipped off to us.
Kiwi, he was not actually shipped off to us. He was a free agent with SF. The Saints signed him after the 1968 draft and were penalized 2 first-round draft picks. The first was the player the Saints actually drafted in 1968 -- Kevin Hardy a DT from Notre Dame. He had a short career in the NFL. We also lost our 1969 first-rounder and SF drafted Ted Kwalic a TE out of Penn St. He had a solid career that lasted 6 years with SF and then 3 injury-riddled years with Oakland.

Dave Parks was more of an 80s TE and did a very good job for us considering the overall talent on the team.

I read through the list a few times to make sure I wasn't glossing over him by accident, haha.

I was surprised at what his career stats were after I looked them up. I thought he had a couple hundred catches, few thousand yards, and like 25-30 TD's from my younger self's memory. :hihi:

Ah well, I still have a soft spot for Boo
When I moved to California, I had a manager who was a Meth head. Dude was such a spaz and would try to be the “cool” guy at all times. He knew I was a Saints fan. He would yell (loudly), “Hey Boo…Boo Williams….go across the middle for the pass”!!! And proceed to throw an imaginary pass😂. He would scream that saying like 10 times a day it seemed. It was the weirdest thing, but he was on Meth, so there was a reason for his weirdness.

Tight Ends didn’t really begin to become a glamour position until the mid-90s. Since then, Graham is far and away the only superstar we’ve had in that spot. But we’ve had a few guys who were a handful. Besides Shockey and Watson, I remember Wesley Walls being quite a force during the brief time he was here. Then he went to Carolina and balled out (of course).
This is why Childs is top 5. He had really good receiving numbers as a TE in an era when it still was not a big receiving position.

It's a horrible list. Graham was great, Shockey was good, otherwise bubkis.

No Boo Williams???
My issue with including Boo Williams on the list is that he was a receiving tight end (WR convert), but only had a 51% catch rate and only averaged 286 receiving yards per season. I have him in Fleener country now, just on the outside looking in.

My issue with including Boo Williams on the list is that he was a receiving tight end (WR convert), but only had a 51% catch rate and only averaged 286 receiving yards per season. I have him in Fleener country now, just on the outside looking in.
I get that, but what about the flip side?
How accurate was Boo’s QB?
Was A-A-Ron that accurate???

I get that, but what about the flip side?
How accurate was Boo’s QB?
Was A-A-Ron that accurate???
I remember Boo being a drive killer. So many dropped passes, especially on 3rd downs, always begging for a flag.

It was so long ago, but when i think of him I can only picture him dropping an easy pass, then immediately getting up and reaching by his hip to signal for a flag

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom