The Ten Best Saints Tight Ends (1 Viewer)

This is why Childs is top 5. He had really good receiving numbers as a TE in an era when it still was not a big receiving position.

Except for Graham, Childs is better than all the rest IMO.....he also played longer than most with the Saints.....had a few seasons with 50+ catches for 800 + yards and averaged 16 ypc.....

This is how I rank them.

1. Jimmy Graham (2010-2014)
2. Jeremy Shockey (2008-2010)
3. Wesley Walls (1994-1995)
4. Henry Childs (1974-1980)
5. Hoby Brenner (1981-1993)
6. Dave Parks (1968-1972)
7. Paul Seal (1974-1976)
8. Ben Watson (2013-2018)
9. Irv Smith (1993-1997)
10. Cam Cleeland (1998-2001)

Honorable Mention: John Tice (1983-1992), David Thomas (2009-2012), Jared Cook (2019-2020), and Billy Miller (2006-2008).

Who are your top ten?
Generally like the OP’s list, but I’d put Henry Childs at #2, behind only Graham. I was in diapers when he played, but I know he was as dependable as it came for ol’ Archie. Arguably, best combo of catching and blocking on the entire list.

I always wonder what might have been with Cam Cleeland, or more, what would have happened if we never signed Andre Royal (he was supposed to hurt Carolina by our signing him, but instead his departure helped them and hurt us).

This is how I rank them.

1. Jimmy Graham (2010-2014)
2. Jeremy Shockey (2008-2010)
3. Wesley Walls (1994-1995)
4. Henry Childs (1974-1980)
5. Hoby Brenner (1981-1993)
6. Dave Parks (1968-1972)
7. Paul Seal (1974-1976)
8. Ben Watson (2013-2018)
9. Irv Smith (1993-1997)
10. Cam Cleeland (1998-2001)

Honorable Mention: John Tice (1983-1992), David Thomas (2009-2012), Jared Cook (2019-2020), and Billy Miller (2006-2008).

Who are your top ten?
I'd move John Tice up. Damn, Hoby Brenner and John Tice made a nice tandem.

Edit: FWIW, I was at Maryland when John Tice was there. He was bigger than me so he made the team.

Last edited:
Taysom Hill
Taysom doesn’t play tight end. He’s listed there on the roster, but he hardly ever lines up at tight end. While I think he’s a Saints Hall of Famer, I don’t think he’s a top ten Saints tight end. His greatness is wildcat quarterback and special teamer, to me.

I'd move John Tice up. Damn, Hoby Brenner and John Tice made a nice tandem.

Edit: FWIW, I was at Maryland when John Tice was there. He was bigger than me so he made the team.
I wouldn’t argue with moving him up. He was more of a run blocker, correct?

Generally like the OP’s list, but I’d put Henry Childs at #2, behind only Graham. I was in diapers when he played, but I know he was as dependable as it came for ol’ Archie. Arguably, best combo of catching and blocking on the entire list.
You may be right. I was in diapers for Childs, too, so it is hard for me to accurately evaluate the pre-Bum tight ends.

Shockey was great before the Saints got him. He was at the end of his career with the Saints, but I remember during the Super Bowl season thinking that he was one of the crucial guys that got us to being the champs.

Other than the names that we talk about a lot on that team, I think Sharper was absolutely essential. His play making and turnover ability put us at another level.

I remember thinking how awesome Walls was when he played for us. He wisely got out of the dumpster fire that we were at his first chance.

Cam Cleeland should have been special for us but thanks to the hazing incident we never saw his potential.
He was injury prone in the extreme even before the hazing. I remember a post showing a guy in a hospital bed bandaged from head to foot and in traction purporting to show Cam Cleeland.

Taysom doesn’t play tight end. He’s listed there on the roster, but he hardly ever lines up at tight end. While I think he’s a Saints Hall of Famer, I don’t think he’s a top ten Saints tight end. His greatness is wildcat quarterback and special teamer, to me.
I know he’s not a TE, you know he’s not a TE, but the fact that he’s listed on the official roster as a TE means he counts as a TE.

Justin Hardee is a great Special Teamer, but he’s listed as a CB… I don’t recall him playing CB much (if at all) with the Saints, but he still counts as a CB.

Taysom is one of the most unique players ever… but if he’s officially listed as a TE, then he counts as one of the best TEs in Saints history in my book.

He was injury prone in the extreme even before the hazing. I remember a post showing a guy in a hospital bed bandaged from head to foot and in traction purporting to show Cam Cleeland.
The hazing incident happened his rookie training camp. Prior to that he never missed a game in college.

I wish I knew more about Childs, Brenner and Seal cause I think Watson should be higher. Those 3 were a little before my time. List looks good but Fleener doesn’t deserve an honorable mention.
So Childs was drafted by the Failclowns in 1974 but was out of there mid-season. He signed with the Saints before year end. He was a very good player. Score 26 TDs from 76 thru 80 with career high of 9 in 1977. He went to the pro bowl following 1979 season, the Saints first no-losing season(8-8). He went with Manning, Chuck Muncie, Wes Chandler and Tommy Myers. Following the team's collapse in 1980 (1-15) the Saints blew apart the team and Childs was one of the casualties. Played 2 years after with little production.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom