The tennis player quality I want our draft pick to have. (1 Viewer)

guillermo

Visible minority
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I played tennis when I was a teenager, and watching the pros, I always admired one special characteristic of the great ones: The ability to stay focus during tough times.

During a 5 set match, you have to adapt of whatever your opponent is giving you, and not only react but impose your style. During the big tournaments you play every other day long games, and in the finals, you will have to concentrate when you are absolutely physically and mentally tired.

We currently have some on these players on our team. Obviously Drew Brees is one of them. Curtis Lofton and Cam Jordan fit the bill. They seem to be on their game at any time. Others, lack this. Pat Robinson is one of them, our safeties seem to loose focus too, and sometime, even our talented receivers tend to loose it.

We are in the process of a defensive turnover. We don't have the luxury of wasting picks. Obviously we are impressed with physical specimens, but more then anything, I want a guy that on game tape seems to have this quality, even if he is not as athletically gifted as others.

We need a guy who has the mental attitude to compete in his highest level when things are going worst. To be able to inspire others that we can turn things around.

I wonder of our posssible picks, who do you think has this quality.

I'd rather a navy seal.
Or a mail man, rain or shine, they deliver.

I have nothing to say Navy Seal, can't even imagine.

But I did play over 3 hours games on warm weather. I wasn't that strong to get a second wind....

But again, I want to know which players have this quality of delivering at their worst moment.

My old basketball coach would take our team to play tennis. He said that it would give us better footwork and better vertical/horizontal movement.

Their Cardio is off the charts. Imagine how fresh our players would be if they took up tennis.

Are there any Swiss, Spanish, Serb or Scots in the draft? :scratch:

Yeah, the ability of top tennis players to "travel light"; leave their 'baggage' from previous sets and pull a match back after going two sets down always amazed me too. Just goes to show how vital mental toughness is and of course, there's no combine test to measure that!

We need football players not athletes

That is what is I am trying to say. More then measurements, speed, etc. I want players that can keep concentrated the whole game, and more importantly, to rise up when situations are not going our way.

I am so sick and tired of our usual "lack of communication" that translates in a big run off-tackle or the busted coverage.

If we would be able to avoid those big plays, our defense will rank way better.

We know the players in our team that doesn't have this quality, now it is time to consider this at the time we are picking.

I played tennis when I was a teenager, and watching the pros, I always admired one special characteristic of the great ones: The ability to stay focus during tough times.

In the 2009 SB, our defense wasn't real talented, but they lined up and focused on the play. You could definitely tell their heads were in the game on a very deep level.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom