The Theatres at Canal Place (1 Viewer)

gwballin

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
I may be behind the times but last night was my first time seeing a movie at Canal Place since the renovation.

I don't often go to a theatre to see movies but a lady friend of mine said it was something she wanted to do so I said what the hell.

The theatre was really nice, tall back leather chairs, in theatre food service, no kids running around (you have to be 18 to get in). Overall it was a good experience.

The thing about it was by the time it is all said and done, I spent $85 to see a movie.

I guess since I don't go very often I might as well treat myself to a good experience when I do go to the movies. On the other hand, $85 to see a movie?

What say you?

it's expensive, but not too bad if you aren't eating a meal there. it's nice to have an adult only theater that isn't trashy like the Palace.

I went right after they reopened and when I left I felt like I had just taken it in the ***.

Nice experience and all, but dropping $100 on so-so food and wine at a movie that ended up sucking really felt stupid afterwards.

I'd rather go out to eat at a decent restaurant and then go to a movie at the Palace. At least you can have a good time at dinner and not have sat through eating in silence during the movie. I mean, If I wanted to eat dinner in silence while staring at a screen, I can do that at home.

If you don't eat there or order wine it is more or less the same price as the palace theaters. It might be a dollar more per seat but the comfort level is completely worth it. It still costs $6 for popcorn and another $6 for a coke at the palace, except I can get a craft beer at Canal Place. Even with a drink or two, I still feel like it is worth it. I'd have taken the wife out for a bite and a drink anyway.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

id say the price tags tossed around are hard to gauge value on without know what you got.

as brennan said, its not terrible on the ticket prices.

GW - was that 2 tickets, plus drinks and food for 2?

id say the price tags tossed around are hard to gauge value on without know what you got.

as brennan said, its not terrible on the ticket prices.

GW - was that 2 tickets, plus drinks and food for 2?

Yes, 2 tickets ($14 each), she had a salad and a glass of wine and I had a "flat bread" pizza.

The food was ok, and I'm not really complaining about the price since it is not at all uncommon for me to end up with a bar tab between $65-$85. I posted because I was taking inventory mentally and thought to myself since when did a Sunday afternoon movie turn into spending $85. I think I would have enjoyed the $85 bar tab more, but my alcoholism is a topic for another thread :hihi:

I'm sure I'll be back, I just suppose it's a whole new world we live in these days, lol.

P.S. parking was on $2 so I got a bargain there.

I think the truffle popcorn is a nice touch. Pretty much all I get if I get anything at all

i think it's worth it just to not have obnoxious people answering the phone mid movie. something i have experienced more times than i want to remember at the palace.

i think it's worth it just to not have obnoxious people answering the phone mid movie. something i have experienced more times than i want to remember at the palace.

and i have been to the palace plenty of times and never had someone answer their phone during the movie :shrug:

and i have been to the palace plenty of times and never had someone answer their phone during the movie :shrug:

I just let my phone ring and ring while at the movie. Usually, I can't hear it over the snoring and talking of others.

i can usually stuff four beers and a wine flask for my lovely wife in my jacket. when the lights dim i open the back emergency exit and let her in and save another $8.50. she usually backpacks in some warm nachos and a nice veggie tray.we've also learned where the outlets are located to charge our phones and set up the frydaddy

i can usually stuff four beers and a wine flask for my lovely wife in my jacket. when the lights dim i open the back emergency exit and let her in and save another $8.50. she usually backpacks in some warm nachos and a nice veggie tray.we've also learned where the outlets are located to charge our phones and set up the frydaddy

See... That's why I started this thread, I knew I had to be doing something wrong. :scratch:

If you want a more upscale experience going to the movies, it's a great experience. There's about 4 feet of space between you and the chair in front of you; the food is great; there's waitservice; you have your own folding table. Good stuff for once or twice a year.

When the wife and I just have to go out to see a movie when it first hits the theatres, we go to Canal Place. Being able to buy your tickets early is one thing, but the theatres lets you pick the seats as well. That beats waiting in line or buying tickets early to only end up with seats right under the screen. The second reason we go....

NO ONE under 18 is allowed to Enter!!! No high schoolers running in and out of the theatre. No giggling brats behind you. Better yet...no **** *** parents who have their 5 year old and 7 year olds in a rated R movie whining that they are tired and ready to go...or best yet, no parents trying to shhhhhh a crying baby for 20 minutes before realizing that its not working and they could possibly, just possibly be ruining the movie for everyone else. Don't get me wrong, I have kids, and it sucked missing the blockbusters when we didn't have a babysitter.

It's expensive but we'll spring for it just for our sanity.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom