The timeout before half time... (1 Viewer)

saintsfan342000

The Voice of Reason
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
When your 30th+ ranked defense manages to set up a third down with under a minute to go and clock winding down, and the opponent seems to be ok with just walking into half time, and you're up double digits, why would you go and call a time out? Take the defensive stop as a victory and go into half time. Just another one of those odd SP moves that happen time and time again (he did it last week against Seattle, though disaster was averted) that leaves me just shaking my head.

BoNcHiE

Every team's Elixor
Reaction score
What defensive stop? It was 3rd down like you said and what makes you think they were just going to take a knee? I think everyone expected them to convert, including Payton. He wanted the ball back.

We ended up scoring to keep it a two score game because of that.

bradman1965

Redacted
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It happens time and time again because it's Payton's end half strategy. It's fine to disagree with it but it's deliberate. I think it's wrong but I do recognize thinking two moves ahead to cover up the defense is complicated. I did think the deliberate holding from the 49ers was pretty genius in that one specific situation, probably enough to be looked at by the rules committee.

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The mistake SP has made before is easing off the throttle when they get a big lead
While the D gave up the TD the strategy worked bc we at least has the time for the FG

duckjr78

Look out, its FrankenBaby
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Coach has done it multiple times now. He is showing trust in his defense. He believes they are going to stop the other team. Considering that this is a young team, and they are learning about their coach and he about them, I'm pretty sure it's part of his much bigger plan. It may cost the team a score in the short term, but the long term benefits are what he is after.

JRead2

Hades is frozen.
Reaction score
I thought it was a good call. It showed (possibly ill-advised) confidence in the defense's ability to get a 3rd down stop, and it gave our offense more time to score once they got the ball back.

26ISTHEMAN

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I like Payton's aggressive nature, but that was a mistake. We were up 28-13, and the 9ers were happy to go into the half with that score. And I would have been too.

CajunSaint

Hall of Famer
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
When your 30th+ ranked defense manages to set up a third down with under a minute to go and clock winding down, and the opponent seems to be ok with just walking into half time, and you're up double digits, why would you go and call a time out? Take the defensive stop as a victory and go into half time. Just another one of those odd SP moves that happen time and time again (he did it last week against Seattle, though disaster was averted) that leaves me just shaking my head.
I like Payton's aggressive nature, but that was a mistake. We were up 28-13, and the 9ers were happy to go into the half with that score. And I would have been too.

What are you guys talking about?!?!

San Fran had 3 timeouts. They had 0, absolutely 0 intention of going into halftime with the score as it was.

They were doing their part, make sure you convert before you start rushing to the line. If they got that first down, then they were going to push it down the field and start using timeouts. On the flip side, they couldnt be idiotic, throw an incomplete on 3rd down and leave the saints with timeouts and 1:30 to go.

Know the situation. They were NOT going to walk into halftime and just let it be.

FootballLady

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
How do you know what the Niners were happy with?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom